Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passports now snag child support cash

Another point occured to me (that you guys don't seem to have) - we have or seem to have a lot of kidnappings from the non-custodial parent, taking the child abroad (generally to their "home" country), did it occur that the trips might be for avoidance of CS to re-locate?
    IMO I think this is a great idea!
    Free Charmed.

YES!!! now my mom will finally get her money from the tightfisted ex husband.

He's taking you on holiday somewhere exotic? Hold out for europe Devildoll!
    Free Charmed.

I always thought it was just criminal reasons that a passport could be denied, not civil. And I thought child support and taxes and such are civil matters.

My overall point was that it's a slippery slope. It's all fine and dandy and not too extreme as long as it doesn't affect you or is something you benefit from. But really, how far do you want the government looking into your financial affairs? I think there are some decisions that should not be affected by whether or not you owe someone money.

It's just something that always strikes me when I hear something like this. It's a great option till they start denying them because of unpaid collection accounts or overdue parking tickets. Then people would be like WTF? Wait a second here. It's alright that you want them to pay, but me? That's not fair. It's different. My situation is different. They're worse and I'm better. Blah, blah, blah. I just wonder where the line is.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    True, I'd be more apt to agree if their moms weren't usually gold digging trash (I'm talking celebrities here, not regular people)...I doubt much of that money actually goes to the kid :/
    That is pretty funny that the first thing that comes to mind for 'basic needs' is FAR from basic. We consider impoverished over here as not having a $40,000 car, and
    a big screen plasma TV.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    I always thought it was just criminal reasons that a passport could be denied, not civil. And I thought child support and taxes and such are civil matters.
    They are civil until they become criminal matters. Someone who owes more than $5,000 in child support is now a felon. End of story. Someone who is deliberately defrauding or avoiding the IRS is a felon. I hardly think a parking ticket compares.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    They are civil until they become criminal matters. Someone who owes more than $5,000 in child support is now a felon. End of story. Someone who is deliberately defrauding or avoiding the IRS is a felon. I hardly think a parking ticket compares.
    Good to know. That actually scares me more knowing that. I wonder why child support is better or worse than any other debt? You're not a felon for owing anyone else money, are you? Is it just when you owe the government? I have some research to do now because this intrigues me. As does the fact that I don't understand why the government is in on child support collection in the first place. They aren't in on any other types of bill collections besides taxes or other government related services, are they? Isn't most of that privatized?

And I don't think they compare, per se. My point was: where is the line drawn in regards to the government denying citizens anything based on unpaid financial obligations that have nothing to do with the service being requested? Because at the end of the day, when everything else is gone, that's what this is.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Good to know. That actually scares me more knowing that. I wonder why child support is better or worse than any other debt? You're not a felon for owing anyone else money, are you? Is it just when you owe the government? I have some research to do now because this intrigues me. As does the fact that I don't understand why the government is in on child support collection in the first place. They aren't in on any other types of bill collections besides taxes or other government related services, are they? Isn't most of that privatized?

And I don't think they compare, per se. My point was: where is the line drawn in regards to the government denying citizens anything based on unpaid financial obligations that have nothing to do with the service being requested? Because at the end of the day, when everything else is gone, that's what this is.
    Yeah, I think it has something to do with how far the govn't can go. How far they can extend arm? Like for example bankrupty. Let's know what you find.

[quote=nwgirl;788289] I wonder why child support is better or worse than any other debt?[/quote]

Probably because it is court ordered… Just like if a credit card company sues you and you don't show up to court you get a warrant, which probably leads to not getting a passport, until you make it up to the person you owe and the courts.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

So, are these guidelines new? Because you know, all of this trouble lately with getting one?

And as far a credit cards, they shut down your credit. It doesnt keep you from travelling and paying with cash. If you have excess cash, though and your behind on child support; they're going to snag you there.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; August 23rd, 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    So, are these guidelines new? Because you know, all of this trouble lately with getting one?

And as far a credit cards, they shut down your credit. It doesnt keep you from travelling and paying with cash. If you have excess cash, though and your behind on child support; they're going to snag you there.
    If you owe a lot of money they want it and then it goes to court.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information