Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Palin baby has been born

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Maybe I live on Mars but I've known several guys with the real name Trip. It actually strikes me as one of the more normal names these days. I don't get all the bewilderment over it.
    It just isn't a traditional actual given name. This is like naming your kid "Junior" rather than just calling him that. "Trip" is a traditional nickname for third-generation boys with a family name. A lot of people may not know that fact, which is fine, but if someone is planning on actually naming a child "Tripp," it would be wise for them to do a little research.

From Wikipedia:
    A nickname can be used to distinguish members of the same family sharing the same name from one another. This has several common patterns among sons named for fathers:

The first bearer of the name can be referred to as Senior, Daddy or have "Big" placed in front of his given name, as in "Big Pete."

A son named after his father (but not after his grandfather) is often referred to as Junior, Chip (also a diminutive of Charles, but in this case in reference to "a chip off the old block"), Skip, or Sonny.

The third generation carrying a name (usually with III after his name) is often referred to as Trey, Tripp, or Trip (from Triple).

The fourth generation carrying a name (usually with IV after his name) may be referred to as Ivy (as in IV) or Dru (from Quadruple).

The fifth generation carrying a name (usually with V after his name) may be referred to as Quint, Quince or Quincy (from Quintuple).
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Trig, Tripp, they are just going through all the consonants until they use them all, Trim, Trix, Trick, Trist....
    I consider that "duggar'ing" ?

The third generation carrying a name (usually with III after his name) is often referred to as Trey, Tripp, or Trip (from Triple).
    Uh.... I feel like an idiot for not figuring this out myself
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

When used to refer to a third generation son, I think the nickname "Trip" has a preppy, fun connotation that I actually kind of like. However, I don't care for it as a given name.

Trip, Chip, Chet, Muffy, Buffy, republican VOMIT
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm wondering how my other friend Skip got his name... lots of possibilities...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I'm wondering how my other friend Skip got his name... lots of possibilities...
    'cause Momma skipped her period? I know of a young girl named "Noqueria" (usually spelled no queria), which means "I didn't want (to)" in Spanish. I was first told about this name by a nurse I knew, who said the mom came into the ER in labor, and since she didn't want the baby, named her that...

I actually thought it was a joke when I read this kids name. I mean, really....

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I remember she once said she wanted to name one of her kids Zamboni, seriously.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

5 Bristol baby conspiracy theories for Andrew Sullivan to push

We're big fans of Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish, and during the election we enjoyed nothing quite so much as his tireless effort to demand Sarah Palin's medical records, insinuating that details of Trig's birth had been covered up. Sully was criticized by those on the right for being a wackjob conspiracy nut, while even many on the left counseled him to just give it a rest. But he would not be swayed.

That's why we're certain he's pissed that Bristol had her baby while he's on vacation and his blog is nothing more than a series of "View From Your Window" posts. There's already so much about this news to piss him off. The Dish posted a selection from the AP story reporting that no one from the Palin family or staff would provide details about the birth, which they consider a "private matter." And what about the fact that the baby was born on Saturday but it didn't get reported until Monday? What were they hiding?!

Since Sully's off-duty, we decided to come up with five coverup scenarios for him to push once he's back in action. If you have a favorite, let us know in the comments section:

This Baby was actually Sarah's baby- Sullivan and many others suspected that the details of Trig's birth were murky because Trig was actually Bristol's baby and Sarah decided to pass him off as her own to thwart the "unwed teen mom" stigma from her daughter. So maybe this time around, it was Bristol who pretended to have Sarah's baby. It's so obvious! To prove that Trig couldn't have been Bristol's, they shoved a pillow up Bristol's dress and said "See! She couldn't have delivered Trig because she's pregnant right now!" But they were going to need to produce a baby eventually for this plan to work, and if Bristol had just given birth to Trig she likely wouldn't have been able to get pregnant again right away. So Sarah got herself knocked up and managed to hide it by wearing lots of Spanx under her leather skirts. Now both Palins are raising each other's baby and everyone is none the wiser.

It's Willow's Baby - Bristol and Levi never even went out. Levi is Willow's guy and he knocked her up, but the age of consent laws being what they are (16 in Alaska), Levi could have been charged with statutory rape had it come out that he had fathered a child with Willow. So they stuck a pillow under Bristol's dress and Willow started wearing lots of Spanx to hide her bump. Look at the pictures of Levi and Bristol at the RNC. Do they look comfortable being with each other? And don't try to pull that "maybe they were just weirded out being on national TV and exploited by a major political party and whatnot." Take off the blinders!

Piper adopted - After spending hours licking baby Trig's head, Piper demanded a baby of her own. The Palins argued that Piper was too young to raise a child, but Piper threatened to reveal the truth about Trig being Bristol's, so the Palins agreed to adopt a baby for Piper and pretend that it was Bristol's so that no one would be alarmed that a baby was being raised by a 7-year-old who just likes the way babies taste.

It's Levi's baby, but from Sarah's fertilized egg implanted into Bristol's uterus - Not exactly sure why this would have happened, but we'll find out come 2012.

It's Andrew Sullivan's baby - Of course! Bristol is just Sully's surrogate mother! That's why he was so persistent in his allegations against the Palins, so we'd never suspect it! Remember, "To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle."

5 Bristol baby conspiracy theories for Andrew Sullivan to push - 236.com - News

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Uh.... I feel like an idiot for not figuring this out myself
    I think most people don't know about these nicknames because the practice of naming generations of boys the same thing isn't all that prevalent these days.

I've read more than once that some studies have shown that as a group, boys named the same thing as their fathers have more problems in life. They're just studies, of course, and could be inaccurate, and I've known Jrs and IIIs who were perfectly fine with their names and achieving a lot.

But I think that in the West we've come more and more to value individuality and want our kids to have names that are uniquely their own. (The repeated names also cause confusion on credit reports and stuff.)

My brother and I have the same names as our parents. Even though my mom and I go by different nicknames for our given name, it gets VERY confusing.

My grandmother also has our first name, and my brother is "IV". He never went by the nicknames "Dru" or "Ivy," but sometimes to distinguish between my dad and brother, my brother would be called "Little (name)". Now that he's 20, it sounds ridiculous.

A*O

My husband and his sister are named after their parents and crap names they are too. He uses a nickname he acquired at school and everyone uses that. It only gets confusing with official or legal documents when he has to use his real name and people think I'm a bigamist!
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    He never went by the nicknames "Dru" or "Ivy," but sometimes to distinguish between my dad and brother, my brother would be called "Little (name)". Now that he's 20, it sounds ridiculous.

Italian Americans frequently add 'Boy' to the end of a name, if the son is named after the dad. Ex: Nicky-boy, Johnny-boy, etc. And sometimes they're still called that as grown men

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I actually have always really admired the guys I've known who had these traditional family names. (I say guys just because I haven't known any women IRL who are named for their moms.) As someone from a loose-knit family, that kind of identification with heritage seems attractive to me. Am I just projecting?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information