Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing heat at Starbucks for all the world to see

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    I dont understand the point. You can carry it openly but it can't be loaded. So, in a situation where you would need to whip your pistol out it's conceivable that you wouldn't be able to load it in time to fire off a round at whoever or whatever was threatening you. Also, nothing better than getting into an altercation and having the other person take your gun and use it against you. So, like I said.. what's the point? Oh yea.. to overcompensate for a small weiner. Whatever.
    With a concealed weapons permit, can you keep the gun loaded?
    If so, why don't these people just use the concealed permit and keep the gun loaded and ready instead of having it unloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    With a concealed weapons permit, can you keep the gun loaded?
    If so, why don't these people just use the concealed permit and keep the gun loaded and ready instead of having it unloaded?
    Because if you conceal it you can't display your awesome masculinity to the outside world.

Surprise, surprise: Alaska allows a non-felon aged 21 or older to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AKSL.pdf

I have read that you can have a loaded firearm in plain sight in vehicles in some states.. I'm not sure about carrying it concealed on your person. I would imagine it would have to be unloaded, too. To which I say again: what's the point?

In most states that allow it, you have to go through a rigorous background check (in addition to the background check you already have to go through to actually get the gun itself) to be able to carry a concealed weapon. And yes, I am fairly sure that the states that do issue concealed weapon permits allow them to be loaded and concealed. Usually, to get a carry/conceal permit, you have to be LE or in some other profession that necessitates having a loaded weapon on your person (like a store owner that carries a lot of cash, for instance), at least in my state. IIRC, in NJ, at least the last time my DH applied for a permit to purchase a handgun, it was like a 3-6 month waiting period AND it was at the discretion of the township's chief of police whether or not you were approved too (he wasn't the last word, but he could have your application denied too). I do remember that the waiting period for the second handgun he purchased was not as long because he purchased it within like 30 or 60 days of being approved for the first one, and the federal background check was still in good standing (meaning not expired).

And I agree with Penny again, if you're carrying a gun and it has to be unloaded, WTF is the point??

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    Surprise, surprise: Alaska allows a non-felon aged 21 or older to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AKSL.pdf
    wow, that's fucking scary.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

This is the carry/conceal law in my state:

"It is the express policy of New Jersey legislative and law enforcement authorities that the carrying of a handgun on one's person be strictly limited only to those earning a living through the carrying of a handgun. Theoretically, there exists a route for a civilian to legally carry a handgun, but in reality, is practically nonexistent."

And honestly, even being a right to bear arms advocate, I *really* do not see the need for a civilian to have the need to carry a loaded weapon on their person. ETA: And ESPECIALLY, do not see the need to carry an UNLOADED weapon on their person. Makes. No. Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post

"It is the express policy of New Jersey legislative and law enforcement authorities that the carrying of a handgun on one's person be strictly limited only to those earning a living through the carrying of a handgun. Theoretically, there exists a route for a civilian to legally carry a handgun, but in reality, is practically nonexistent."

And honestly, even being a right to bear arms advocate, I *really* do not see the need for a civilian to have the need to carry a loaded weapon on their person. ETA: And ESPECIALLY, do not see the need to carry an UNLOADED weapon on their person. Makes. No. Sense.
    Even I must admit that there could conceivably be some scenarios.

Maybe an abused woman, where even a restraining order is no help to her. In Southern California not too long ago, a woman was killed by a guy, even though there was a police guard right in front of her house. The guy sneaked in through the back and killed her.

Or in another case in Northern California, this guy witnessed his own liquor store get robbed, and in order to prevent him from testifying, one of the guys arrested had his minions follow him from San Francisco area to where he lived in Marin County and gunned him down in cold blood in front of his house.

I know plenty of non-law enforcement people here in N.J. that laugh at that law and carry loaded guns with them. Some of them in my family.

The first scenario you talked about ... she could have had a weapon in her home and would have been safe (not walking around in public with a loaded, concealed weapon). I just think a petrified woman that's being stalked is not an ideal candidate for a carry/conceal permit ... just screams very itchy trigger finger to me, IMO.

In the second scenario, a lot of states allow business owners that deal with a lot of cash to get carry/conceal permits. I don't know the specifics, but were they chasing him or was he gunned down from behind? Either way, the federal mandated waiting period would have prevented him from walking in and purchasing a handgun in the aftermath of the robbery and CA is a "may issue" state for granting carry/conceal permits, meaning it is up to the jurisdiction of the county or local PD to grant it (which includes wait times).

I
    And I agree with Penny again, if you're carrying a gun and it has to be unloaded, WTF is the point??
    Hello? The accessory makes the outfit!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Hello? The accessory makes the outfit!
    Thank you,Chilly!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^ Kids. They never learn.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I know plenty of non-law enforcement people here in N.J. that laugh at that law and carry loaded guns with them. Some of them in my family.
    Legally??

Legally??
    Yep, he is legally related to them. Count on it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

LOL ... not what I meant.

Legally??
    Not legally. That's why I said they laugh at the law.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information