Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio legislatorís bill dictates that men should have final say on abortion

In the case where the father isnít known, House Bill 252 would compel the woman to provide a list of names of people who may be the father in an effort to determine paternity. The bill also would make it a crime for women to lie about who the father is, and make it illegal for doctors to perform abortions without the fatherís consent.
    I'd fucking pay to see some of these lists. I'd fake a pregnancy/abortion just to put this guys name at the top of the list. Another lulzy thing to do would be to put "God" as number 1 on the list.

I am seeing red. I am speechless. I may keel over.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If I got pregnant, and I decided to keep it but my partner didn't want it, I wouldn't force him to spend his money on something he didn't even want. Honestly,I'd stay out of his life and raise the child myself. When a woman makes that choice not to abort against her partner's wishes, it's her responsibility. I don't think it's fair to force a father who wanted the abortion to pay for it. True, he should've been more careful but things happen.

I am definitely not for this bill, considering the fact that if I got pregnant, I'd get an abortion and I wouldn't tell my boyfriend because I KNOW he'd want to keep it and get married. I'm not ready for that, so I use a lot of precautions.

This is so fucking retarded, I can't even comment.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

I don't know if there are recent cases on spousal consent, but the 1976 case Planned Parenthood v Danforth seems to make it unconstitutional.

Planned Parenthood of Central Missouri v. Danforth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Planned Parenthood v. Danforth, 428 U.S. 52 (1976) was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States in which the constitutionality of several Missouri state regulations regarding abortion was challenged. The Court's lead plurality opinion upheld the right to have an abortion, striking the state's requirements of parental consent for minors and spousal consent for married women.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Cases like this have been shot down in court numerous times, so I doubt this will pass.

Although, I must say, the philisophical question this has always raised for me is this: If a woman wants an abortion, I support her right to it without question, regardless of the father's wishes.

But when a woman doesn't want an abortion (for an unintentional pregnancy) but the man doesn't want the child, why do we force him to support that child. It leaves him with no choice in the matter, but a financial responsiblity.

Just thinking out loud....It's just a question that has always interested me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I totally agree with you!! I think it's terribly unfair to force a man to pay child support if having the child was not a mutual decision. If a woman decides to carry out a pregnancy against the father's wishes, she should be solely responsible for the kid, in every way.
    It's a good question but at the end of the day it took two people to make the baby and therefore both should take responsibility for it. Ideally men would be able to carry a baby they wanted but the woman didn't but obviously that's not an option so, for once, men get the short end of the stick.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'm sickly curious, how would this work in the retarded legislator's mind with rape? Or when the father abandons the mother during pregnancy, or is dead, missing, lost, etc?
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

^i think there would be alot of false rape claims just to justify the abortion without revealing names

It is a backdoor attempt to take away the ability for a woman to decide independently on whether she wants an abortion or not.

I do have to wonder, though, how dumb a legislator has to be to introduce a bill that he has to know will get knocked down due to decisions on the issue already made by the USSC. Maybe it's just posturing for upcoming local elections?

Although, I must say, the philisophical question this has always raised for me is this: If a woman wants an abortion, I support her right to it without question, regardless of the father's wishes.

But when a woman doesn't want an abortion (for an unintentional pregnancy) but the man doesn't want the child, why do we force him to support that child. It leaves him with no choice in the matter, but a financial responsiblity.
    Fair, schmair --- the reason is public policy, pure and simple. If a child IS going to be born, the state wants the man who fathered the child to support it, rather than the taxpayers. This obligation also might lead to a relationship between father and child. Of course, a woman doesn't have to go after the father for child support, but if she needs/wants it, it should be the bio dad paying rather than all of us through welfare.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Fair, schmair --- the reason is public policy, pure and simple. If a child IS going to be born, the state wants the man who fathered the child to support it, rather than the taxpayers. This obligation also might lead to a relationship between father and child. Of course, a woman doesn't have to go after the father for child support, but if she needs/wants it, it should be the bio dad paying rather than all of us through welfare.
    This kind of thing also reminds me of that murder case that has been in the headlines again (was it California?). Where a woman got pregnant and the bf wanted her to abort. They broke up, and she forced him to pay child support and after a while he started demanding visitation rights, after showing utterly no interest before.

Then, one day when it's his turn to have the child, he drops her off a cliff.

There was one in St. Louis years ago, where a seemingly normal involved single dad who worked in a hospital lab confessed to having given his son injections with AIDS infected needles so he wouldn't have to pay child support. His reason for confessing was he didn't want to pay his son's AIDS-related medical bills anymore and he would rather be in prison.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It is a backdoor attempt to take away the ability for a woman to decide independently on whether she wants an abortion or not.
    Yep.

I do have to wonder, though, how dumb a legislator has to be to introduce a bill that he has to know will get knocked down due to decisions on the issue already made by the USSC. Maybe it's just posturing for upcoming local elections?
    Likely that it's posturing.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It'll get the fundies onboard, that's for sure. And probably Palin will come around and give a disjointed speech or two in support of him.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Cases like this have been shot down in court numerous times, so I doubt this will pass.

Just thinking out loud....It's just a question that has always interested me.
    I've always had this question in my mind as well!!!! Never has sat well with me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information