Page 107 of 114 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1696

Thread: The official 2008 American Election thread

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

CNN Shirt: CNN video headlines printed on a t-shirt

wow he really took colorado and florida and all those others! he really did it!

I have to say, on a side note, that I have enjoyed seeing Luke Russert doing some reporting on MSNBC.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I have to say, on a side note, that I have enjoyed seeing Luke Russert doing some reporting on MSNBC.
    It would've been nice if Tim Russert could've lived to cover this election. He had one of the most fair and balanced views I've ever seen when it came to a journalist covering politics. He didn't play favorites, and he didn't take anybody's shit, Dem or Republican.

I didn't watch Fox news last night but would have LOVED to have seen their faces. Anyone watch when they announced our new PRESIDENT OBAMA!???

Gosh I love how that sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    It would've been nice if Tim Russert could've lived to cover this election. He had one of the most fair and balanced views I've ever seen when it came to a journalist covering politics. He didn't play favorites, and he didn't take anybody's shit, Dem or Republican.
    I agree. He was one in a million when it comes to journalists.

^^Yes, he was.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    I didn't watch Fox news last night but would have LOVED to have seen their faces. Anyone watch when they announced our new PRESIDENT OBAMA!???

Gosh I love how that sounds!
    I caught a little of Fox News last night. Not a lot of happy campers.

But the person that pissed me off on Fox News was Ralph Nader. He made a statement about how Obama had to decide whether he was going to be Uncle Sam to the American people or Uncle Tom to the corporations. Shepard Smith ripped him a new one and called him 'irrelevant.'

Nader has really turned into a bitter old man.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Elite Member

It took me a couple of hours to read through 107 pages of comments, wisecracks, pudding fights, and other assorted items, so can I just say:

I feel great for the first time in a long while.

My dad has been a registered voter for years, but last night he admitted that he can't remember actually voting. He's one of those types that figures that no matter who's in office, his life won't change. And while I've always voted, I understood his point of view and shared it to some degree.

The fact that he took the time to vote-to be part of something this historic-gives me reason to believe that this world is worth fighting for.

I went to bed with a smile on my face. And I woke up this morning with that same smile.

I realize that things won't change overnight, but for once in this life I've been given, I feel that there's a place in it for me to thrive and pursue my dreams, to help others, and to be the best person possible.

For once, I actually believe that what I do matters to someone, that I matter to someone.

For just this once, I'm going to allow myself to dream a little bit bigger. And just maybe, all good things will come true.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Yeah, I was checking out the comments on Media TakeOut and disappointed to see how supportive most of them were of passing Prop8. This after they just went on and on about how great it is for equality and progress that Obama got elected. There is still a lot of people of all creeds and colors who oppose homosexuality, but the black community seems particularly conservative on this issue. Perhaps that is because of the role of Christianity/religion in their community. Do you agree?
    I believe two factors greatly influence both the black and latino view of homosexuality. One, I do agree, is religion. These two communities are known for the major role faith plays in their beliefs and everyday lives.

The second factor is the perceived definition of gender roles within these communities. To see a gay man or woman is seen as unnatural because that person does not fit into the archaic behavioral expectations based on gender, ie., men are to be macho, while being a gay man is seen as being weak.

Again, this is an example of longheld beliefs which have no place in a progressive society.

I know. I can't believe all the anti-gay laws that were passed in Florida, Arkansas and Arizona too. Looks like America is going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st fucking century.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But the person that pissed me off on Fox News was Ralph Nader. He made a statement about how Obama had to decide whether he was going to be Uncle Sam to the American people or Uncle Tom to the corporations. Shepard Smith ripped him a new one and called him 'irrelevant.'
    Proving that he's the douche I thought he was.

What an ass.

Fox news was perfect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.v View Post
    Nader has really turned into a bitter old man.
    Nader lost me back in the year 2000 elections, when he was on a late-night talk show and declared that there was NO DIFFERENCE between the candidates Gore and Bush. Give me a freaking break. I think eight years have shown that there was a stark difference.

I don't disagree that both parties are too beholden to corporate interests. But that doesn't erase the huge contrast between these parties in general.

Suck it, Nader. You are irrelevant. The Greens need to find a better figurehead.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

The second factor is the perceived definition of gender roles within these communities. To see a gay man or woman is seen as unnatural because that person does not fit into the archaic behavioral expectations based on gender, ie., men are to be macho, while being a gay man is seen as being weak.

That is a very keen observation, Reveling. It's anecdotal but I also notice that black and hispanic women I've encountered/work with seem more likely to uphold sexual double standards and this is particularly true for those in the lower socioeconomic strata. For instance, I can't tell you how many black women at my work were overheard blaming that teenager that Akon got accused of humping on stage. They were saying she had no business being there (maybe so) and that he was just 'being a man'. Likewise I recall more minority women labelling Monica Lewinsky a ho for her relationship with a married Bill Clinton. But he was just 'being a man' and it was understandable that he would get a smuch tail as he could. It's apparently up to us women to keep everyone on a straight moral road while men get this open field with which to do whatever they want. What perplexes me is that these same women would decry any act of racism in a heartbeat but cannot connect in their minds how all of thse forms of oppression come from the same place. Homophobia/hate is the wicked stepchild of sexism with it's emphasis on rigid gender norms which also happen to be largely influenced by religion. These gender issues are also very linked with sexual behavior which carries so many tabboos left over from the Puritans (although plenty of other cultures in the world are still very puritanical to this day). It just makes me so frustrated.

Needless to say these anecdotes I mentioned are in no way a blanket statement that applies to all non-white people or women (before someone feels the need to get all PC and jump down my throat for making an observation).
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Suck it, Nader. You are irrelevant. The Greens need to find a better figurehead.
    Nader is destroying his legacy, IMO. He's a true champion for consumer rights, but the 2000 election soured him for a lot of people. Gore wasn't my ideal candidate, but he was a lot better than GWB. The last eight years has proven that.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

That is a very keen observation, Reveling. It's anecdotal but I also notice that black and hispanic women I've encountered/work with seem more likely to uphold sexual double standards and this is particularly true for those in the lower socioeconomic strata. For instance, I can't tell you how many black women at my work were overheard blaming that teenager that Akon got accused of humping on stage. They were saying she had no business being there (maybe so) and that he was just 'being a man'. Likewise I recall more minority women labelling Monica Lewinsky a ho for her relationship with a married Bill Clinton. But he was just 'being a man' and it was understandable that he would get a smuch tail as he could. It's apparently up to us women to keep everyone on a straight moral road while men get this open field with which to do whatever they want. What perplexes me is that these same women would decry any act of racism in a heartbeat but cannot connect in their minds how all of thse forms of oppression come from the same place. Homophobia/hate is the wicked stepchild of sexism with it's emphasis on rigid gender norms which also happen to be largely influenced by religion. These gender issues are also very linked with sexual behavior which carries so many tabboos left over from the Puritans (although plenty of other cultures in the world are still very puritanical to this day). It just makes me so frustrated.

Needless to say these anecdotes I mentioned are in no way a blanket statement that applies to all non-white people or women (before someone feels the need to get all PC and jump down my throat for making an observation).
    As a black woman, from a mixed background, think the Obama syndrome , I have seen the differing opinions on gender roles based on cultural teachings.

Keep in mind, I can only comment on what I have seen and experienced. My interpretations and perceptions in no way condemn a whole group, which I can not possibly know.

Black women are seen as the silent, yet strong type. We are perceived to be able to roll with the punches, while not throwing any back. In the arena of romantic relations, black women are seen to be supportive of their man at all costs, while holding down the fort. In common colloquilisms, "ride or die chick" would sum this up. A woman who likes women is, not only, overstepping boundaries placed on her by small-minded homophobes, but challenging the masculinity of males who are vying for the same women, in their own minds.

Black men have a subconscious loyalty to the alpha male ideal. Being strong, in every sense, and making their masculinity overly obvious is common. Gay men are reviled for being feminine, weak, both physically, and mentally.

Latin men, in my experience, place even more value on their masculine facade. Gay men are heavily ridiculed and ostracized.

Latin women are expected to be the subservient and relinquish all familial power to the male head of household. When I was in a relationship with a latin male, even the women in his family chastised me for "embarrassing him" by "questioning" his decisions or requests. I didn't embarrass him or question his requests. I stood my ground and denied them. We didn't last long and the women in his family told me women like me were the reason divorce rates are so high. In this case, a gay woman is seen as bucking her responsibility to take care of a man and usurping the power a man should have, since a woman should not be allowed to have power in a relationship.

Until these stereotypes are annihilated, along with the misinformation they are based upon, equal rights for gays will be seen as irrelevant and, dare I say, insulting to the straight minorities who buy into the stereotypes.

Thread Information