Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Obama's White House parties are under investigation

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Obama would've gotten laughed off of Soul Train.
    HAHA. Absolutely. I can just hear him singing Hello my lady, Hello my darlin' in the second pic

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Obama dancing with Miley would be even better.
    Nooooooooooooooooo! He needs to stay away from piranha-mouth!

Prefer this?

i would so shit on that plate.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    The president has shown a penchant for lavish galas, such as the huge assembly orchestrated in Denver when he accepted his party's nomination for president – an outdoor gathering for some 75,000 featuring a stage with Greek columns. He also held a multimillion-dollar victory celebration in Chicago, and his fancy inauguration cost an estimated $170 million, according to ABC News.
    Those events were paid for by campaign contributions.

Klayman said the reports of the partying at the White House, "with the likes of Steve Wonder and other high priced entertainment stars," will be the focus of document requests being submitted to the General Services Administration. The requests will seek to determine how much taxpayer money is being used.
    Stevie Wonder played at the Inauguration, which again, was paid for by campaign contributions and donations to the Inaugural Committee.

Here's some more info on the White House Social Secretary:
    WASHINGTON — Desiree Rogers once made millionaires of a lucky few everyday people. Now she plans to give Americans dinner invitations to the White House.

Rogers, a svelte, stylish Chicago business executive and socialite—and a former Illinois lottery director—is turning again to Lady Luck in her new role as social secretary for a White House that hopes to balance glamor, history and an urban sensibility with plenty of populism.

"Something that we've talked about from early on is making it the people's house," said Rogers, sitting at a table in her East Wing office, a view of the Truman Balcony behind her. "How can we salute—encourage the American spirit? That means many different things to many different people."

Her vision includes inviting ordinary citizens chosen by lottery to join in a social life that reflects the eclectic interests of a sophisticated, young First Couple, Barack and Michelle Obama. Along with glittering state events and intimate dinners hosting artists and intellectuals, the calendar she plans includes edgy poetry slams and an egalitarian ball celebrating everyday American heroes.

You can already see changes. The R&B band Earth, Wind and Fire was the entertainment at the Obamas' first formal dinner, hosting the nation's governors, and soul legend Stevie Wonder was honored with a White House concert. The black-tie governors' dinner had a more casual, modern feel with mixed-china place settings.

Among the first events have been a Super Bowl party and a dinner for congressional committee chairmen and their Republican counterparts. It was the first time even many of the GOP members of Congress had been invited to dinner at the White House despite their party's control of the presidency for the past eight years. The Super Bowl party included a children's play area featuring Nintendo Wii.

The traditional White House Easter Egg Roll this year is planned to be the largest ever, with tens of thousands of visitors and tickets distributed to the public online for the first time. The idea is that an assured spot will make it easier for families to come from across the country to join the egg hunt on the South Lawn; in the past, tickets were distributed in Washington the previous Saturday, making it less likely people would travel a long distance.

For many, the Obamas evoke John and Jacqueline Kennedy and Camelot, a presidency surrounded by an enduring mystique and sense of possibility. That image was created in part by an elegant White House social life that included a storied dinner with Nobel Prize winners and a performance by classical cellist Pablo Casals marking his celebrated return to America. Even before the election, Vogue editor at large Andre Leon Talley dubbed the Obama era "Black Camelot."

Whatever epithet ultimately sticks to the Obama White House, Rogers will be its impresario. And she, for one, rejects comparisons with Camelot: "This is not necessarily a presidency that duplicates, or copies. The Obamas have their own style," she said in an interview.

That style is livelier than the Bushes, more hip than the Reagans, more multicultural than the Clintons and more accessible than the Kennedys.

In an office that derives its greatest power from the opportunity to forge a direct relationship with the American people, and amid a celebrity culture that elevates the details of personal life, style can be critical.

"To have a successful presidency, the social life of the White House has to match the times. That's when it becomes such an added benefit to the presidency. It happened in its greatest form with the Kennedys," said Kennedy biographer Laurence Leamer. "There's no book that tells you how to do this. You have to feel your way through what you want to do."
    There's more to the article here: Desiree Rogers, White House social secretary, sets a new standard -- chicagotribune.com

Party like it's 1999 !!!!!!!

Yes, Steve did sing then, but that's not what the article is about.

The article is about the Obama's throwing him and Awards show at the White House.
    Minor Matters » Blog Archive » Barack and Michelle Obama honour Stevie Wonder

was that during black history month?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ It was on 2/25/09, but it had nothing to do with BHM...they actually had another party for that.

"A week before that, the foot-stomping sounds of Sweet Honey in the Rock, a female a cappella group, filled the East Room for a Black History Month program first lady Michelle Obama held for nearly 200 sixth- and seventh-graders from around the city.

Obama kicks up White House entertaining

so they gave stevie an award, well.

string them up.

sidenote: a presidential award?

I don't think anyone is talking about stringing him up over this, but whatever.

However, I don't care to pay taxes so Steve Wonder can receive awards at The White House. Now if Obama and Michelle wants to do all the work and pay for it all out of their salaries, more power to them, but something tells me neither went grocery shopping, paid the tab, or laced up an apron and did the cooking.

No, it wasn't a Presidential Award, it was some award that just started in 2007. This is the 2nd time it's been handed out.

^ It was on 2/25/09, but it had nothing to do with BHM...they actually had another party for that.
    Actually it did have to do with Black History Month. Here's some more background on it, from the press release for the event:
    'President Barack Obama will give the Second Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song to Stevie Wonder on Feb. 25 at a special concert in the East Room of the White House in celebration of African American History Month. The program, to be taped by WETA Washington, D.C., as part of the In Performance at the White House series, will air on PBS stations nationwide on Thursday, Feb. 26, 2009, at 8 p.m. ET (check local listings) as "Stevie Wonder In Performance at the White House: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize."'
    I really don't think this is a big deal at all- seems fairly standard - the In Performance program was founded during the Carter Admin:
    '"In Performance at the White House" began with an East Room recital by the legendary pianist Vladimir Horowitz in 1978, and since then has embraced virtually every genre of American music: pop, country, gospel, jazz and the blues among them. The series, created by public broadcaster WETA Washington, D.C., and spanning every presidential administration since President Carter, was developed to showcase the rich fabric of American culture in the setting of the nation’s most famous home. Past programs have showcased such talent as the United States Marine Band, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, the best of Broadway musicals and the Dance Theatre of Harlem. "Stevie Wonder In Performance at the White House: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize" is the first "In Performance" of President Barack Obama’s Administration.'
    Obama Gives Stevie Wonder Gershwin Prize Feb. 25 - The Library Today (Library of Congress)

I don't get what the big deal is about a President entertaining. Every President has done it- why is this any different?

^ It's not any different. I don't want to pay taxes for any President to entertain. If he wants to pay for it, then fine.

The award does not go hand in hand with BHM. Paul Simon received his in June, and he's white.

It's part of statecraft. Always has been. Always will be. They budget for it.

I'd rather have his ass in the white house entertaining like a statesman than hiding out on vacation for 3/4 of the year.

^ Well when the rest of America has to cut back on entertaining he should cut his budget on that too. Entertain people that really need it, not Steve Wonder, the musician that helped him get in Michelle's pants.

and some people will never be happy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information