Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Obama picks anti-gay Prop 8 pusher for invocation at inauguration - gays apoplectic

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    Grimm, I imagine change comes much faster in Canada than it does here. People don't change easily here. That's the point I'm trying to make. I mean, it was over 100 years after slavery before the Civil Rights Act passed. It's not like America was falling over itself ensuring equality. Sadly, it's always a long road here.
    Exactly. The real issue here isn't Warren being at the inauguration. The bigger issue is that California and other states had ballot initiatives to revoke people's rights. And that wouldn't have happened if society as a whole wasn't still so homophobic. So even if Obama decided to uninvite Warren, it's still not going to change the culture of the country.

That does NOT excuse Obama in any way, shape or form for this blatantly stupid decision. You do NOT invite racists, anti-semites, homophobic fascists and give them legitimacy by inviting them up onto the stage with you.

Here's a goddamned video interviw of this asshole.. do me a favor: substitute the word BLACK for the word GAY in it and see how you feel:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0spPzgma6Q&eurl=http://www.americablog.com/2008/12/new-vid-rick-warren-is-hateful-and.html&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

You can see the interviewers jaw just DROP. This is someone who's 'views' should be respected?

Disgusting!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    You know me so well, Scooter. You're right. I worship Obama. That's why I've repeatedly said that picking Warren was a DUMB MOVE, because I feel that he can do no wrong. Saying that someone made a DUMB MOVE is a clear sign of worship.

Discimination happens to EVERYONE, be they black, white, male, female, gay, straight, spanish, asian, Indian, etc. Does that clear things up for you?

And I find it funny that you have that impression, because I remember a while ago when I was accused of being a 'racist' you rushed to my defense and said I wasn't. But you suddenly believe that I think only blacks can be discriminated against? Whatever.
    NO, NO, NO, King. That was a typo. I actually meant I wasn't under the impression. I went back and did an edit.
    You have NEVER struck me as anything but a stand up guy. I am sorry for the confusion!
    I was trying to take up for you!

Elite Member

Default re

What a deluded hypocrite this guy is. Why are people like this so enormously influential in the US? It makes me want to barf.

You just have to hope (or even pray) that this idiot realizes that there is something sick and wrong about breaking bread with people and then trying to take their rights as people away from them. You can't be both things--you can't get credit for being a "good guy" b/c you are nice to the poor little faggots--and then use your influence to persuade others to vote to take away their rights. Better you should shun gay people altogether than play this bullshit game, IMO.

I still find it hard to believe that racism and anti-semitism are not valid viewpoints, but homophobic discrimination somehow is.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I don't like the Warren pick either, but...I have in my heart the hope that Obama will make a concerted effort to persuade religious leaders (and followers) to change their minds about gay marriage. Maybe this is the first step.
    Obama does not support Gay marriage. I'm not sure why everyone thinks he does?

The Warren pick sucked..hopefully he'll learn from it.

I seriously doubt it.

TIME magazine rips Obama a new one and questions his claims of being for equality:

Obama reminds me a little bit of Richard Russell Jr., the longtime senator from Georgia who — as historian Robert Caro has noted — cultivated a reputation as a thoughtful, tolerant politician even as he defended inequality and segregation for decades. Obama gave a wonderfully Russellian defense of Warren Thursday at a press conference. Americans, he said, need to "come together" even when they disagree on social issues. "That dialogue is part of what my campaign is all about," he said. Russell would often use the same tactic to deflect criticism of his civil rights record. It was a distraction, Russell said, from the important business of the day uniting all Americans. Obama also said today that he is a "fierce advocate for equality" for gays, which is — given his opposition to equal marriage rights — simply a lie. It recalls the time Russell said, "I'm as interested in the Negro people of my state as anyone in the Senate. I love them."

Grim, you're right. Obama's not excused in any way for picking Warren. It was a dumb move on his part, and I wish he'd rescind the invitation, but he probably won't. From a political standpoint, I can see why he's doing it, but he could have found another way to toss a bone to the conservatives.

Although, I heard on the news last night that Warren's catching just as much heat from the right-wingers for accepting the invitation. So, if Warren continues to catch hell, maybe he'll opt out himself. But I doubt that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    NO, NO, NO, King. That was a typo. I actually meant I wasn't under the impression. I went back and did an edit.
    You have NEVER struck me as anything but a stand up guy. I am sorry for the confusion!
    I was trying to take up for you!
    It took me off guard, but once Crumpet pointed it out to me I realized that you went back and edited the typo. It's all good, Sweetie. No hard feelings.

fun comment re: warren

Picking Warren to be the opening voice for his administration -- he's saying "This man has something to say to America and he speaks in the name of my administration."

After George Bush vacates the White House and we wait for an era of "change" -- the very first words we will hear will be from a raging religious bigot. If you don't get the symbolism there, you're not really paying attention.

I reach out to a lot of people I disagree with. My neighbor is an asshole. I try to be nice to him. I take in his paper when he's not home. I pet his dog. But I didn't ask him to be best man at my wedding.
    if the reich wingers hate him too, then wtf is the point.

What would happen if people showed up to the innauguration wearing white pointed hoods and just said.. well people know we're not racist, we just like the design...

The right-wingers are pissed with Warren because they feel like he's 'palling around' with somebody who 'pals around' with terrorists.

Basically, they're pissed for the same reason that the left is pissed with Obama, because each side feels like they're being stabbed in the back.

Now I'm interested in what Warren has to say. I wonder if he plans to renounce his bigoted ways at the inauguration. Jimmy Carter did something similar. He ran as a segregationist for GA governor then during his inauguration said it was time to end segregation.

Maybe Warren plans to give his support to same sex marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    Now I'm interested in what Warren has to say. I wonder if he plans to renounce his bigoted ways at the inauguration. Jimmy Carter did something similar. He ran as a segregationist for GA governor then during his inauguration said it was time to end segregation.

Maybe Warren plans to give his support to same sex marriage.
    I didn't know that about Carter. What the hell? He was a bad president, but he's done a lot of good since then.

But from a political standpoint I can see why he did what he did. He ran as a segregationist to win the redneck vote, and then changed when he became president.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I didn't know that about Carter. What the hell? He was a bad president, but he's done a lot of good since then.

But from a political standpoint I can see why he did what he did. He ran as a segregationist to win the redneck vote, and then changed when he became president.
    That is exactly what he did.

Three Cups of Tea for Rick Warren
    By Thom Hartmann

Rick Warren is providing the invocation for the presidential inauguration. As a pastor whose books have been read by tens of millions of Americans and whose voice is respected by an equal or larger number, he has tremendous influence and power. And as an open homophobe who aggressively works to wound gay people in this country (as well as pretty much anybody else who doesn’t believe with his own particular and peculiar recently-invented version of Christian theology) he should be the guy with the bull’s-eye on his back for the progressive movement.

But consider that metaphor for a moment. In Pakistan there are entire regions filled with people who not only hate gays but hate Americans as well, regardless of religion. We've tried bombing them (as the Soviets did, and the British before them). Three consecutive Western empires have tried threatening them, starving them, poisoning them, infiltrating them, and overpowering them - all without success.

And then Greg Mortenson came to one of their villages, had three cups of tea with them (a metaphor for hospitality - they nursed him back to health after a mountain climbing injury - and the title of his best-selling book), and now in dozens of these formerly Taliban-controlled villages the people are rejecting the Taliban, embracing modernity, and openly proclaiming themselves as our friends.

His "weapon" for this conversion? He built schools for their children, particularly their previously-banned-from-school girls.

We pushed the Palestinians on the West Bank to have open and democratic elections, assuming that because they were using the tool of our culture (the secret ballot) they’d vote in people reflecting the values of our culture. Instead, they voted in Hamas, a group that is openly hostile to us and our allies. Hamas’ “weapon” for winning the hearts and minds of the Palestinians? They supported schools, hospitals, and fed and clothed people.

You’d think that we’d have learned from these experiences - particularly those of us who call ourselves “progressives” - that you get your desired results faster when you embrace, engage, and nurture your “enemies” than when you physically or rhetorically bomb them.

Barack Obama has learned that lesson, and is applying it in inviting Rick Warren to perform the invocation for his inauguration. In doing so, he is reaching out a hand to those who today are - out of fear and ignorance - pushing away gays the same way their intellectual ancestors pushed away African Americans when anti-miscegenation laws were supported by most of these same “fundamentalist” Christian churches in the 1950s and 1960s.

Joseph Lowry, who is providing the other bookend to the inauguration with the benediction, is the other side of the balance Obama is bringing to this inauguration. Lowry has said, for example, “The same folks who are against progress for black folks are the folks who are against progress for women and gays and farmers and young people and peace activists. We have to understand it’s one struggle. This is ONE AMERICA, and the sooner we learn that the more effective our world will be.”

And the more effective we will be at changing the hearts and minds of people like Rich Warren and his followers. This is a tremendous first step, and I congratulation Barack Obama on his wisdom, walking metaphorically in Greg Mortenson’s shoes to eventually bring the enemies of America’s true values of love and tolerance over to our side.

ThomHartmann.com - Three Cups of Tea for Rick Warren

Obama is not for gay marriage anyway, so they can have a nice party about it.

When Obama has a klansman and a neo nazi on stage and they all sit down and have tea, then i might not snort in derision.

I don't buy this argument. Not when Obama himself has made his position clear.

Separate is not equal.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information