Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Obama picks anti-gay Prop 8 pusher for invocation at inauguration - gays apoplectic

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Yes, the incredibly sneaky tactic of showing my entire original quote

Cheers.
    That's NOT what I was talking about, since that wasn't the part I bolded.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post

And are you lecturing ME about civil rights and equality?
    Are you operating under the delusion that the terms civil rights and equality are only applicable to those of the african american persuasion? Or that their demographic is the only one ever to be discriminated against? Or is it just the only one you care about? Leaving aside the gay rights movement....How about what this country did to the Native Americans... hounded them to the point of extinction, took away their country and basically incarcerated them in 'reservations' for the last 125 years? How about the fact that a woman in this country only makes 77 cents on the dollar for doing the same job as a man in 2008? So yes, I am indeed having *the nerve* to lecture YOU about civil rights and equality. Witchcurl, I'm with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I don't like the Warren pick either, but...I have in my heart the hope that Obama will make a concerted effort to persuade religious leaders (and followers) to change their minds about gay marriage. Maybe this is the first step.
    Why would he do that though? He doesn't technically support gay marriage either. Quite frankly I think the Warren pick is complete bullshit, and very disheartening. But I still believe he'll be much better than another Republican in office.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Are you operating under the delusion that the terms civil rights and equality are only applicable to those of the african american persuasion? Or that their demographic is the only one ever to be discriminated against? Or is it just the only one you care about? Leaving aside the gay rights movement....How about what this country did to the Native Americans... hounded them to the point of extinction, took away their country and basically incarcerated them in 'reservations' for the last 125 years? How about the fact that a woman in this country only makes 77 cents on the dollar for doing the same job as a man in 2008? So yes, I am indeed having *the nerve* to lecture YOU about civil rights and equality. Witchcurl, I'm with you.
    Yeah, because I'm dumb enough to believe that civil rights and equality just means black people and no one else. Forget the fact that my grandmother was a Native-American, my mother is a career woman, or that I have people in my family who are married to Latinos. So, how about you save the lecture for somebody who really needs it.

I'm reading a lot about how Obama "reaches out" to his adversaries, and that's why he's building a track record of inviting avowed homophobes to stand front and center at his campaign events and now his inauguration.

Okay, I'm game. So we know being a gay-basher doesn't disqualify you from a seat at the Obama table - in fact, it seems to be an outright qualification for proving Obama's post-partisanship. If Obama prides himself on reaching out to all sides of every debate, then why is it that Obama has never sat down with, or promoted at his events, an avowed racist or anti-Semite?

If you're going to argue, as some have, that respect for the civil rights of gay and lesbian Americans is somehow now "liberal" and "fringe" - funny that Obama didn't think it was fringe during his campaign when he publicly embraced our community and our rights - then respect for the civil rights of African-Americans and Jewish-Americans is no less liberal and fringe. Civil rights are civil rights, and it's well established in American civil rights circles that gay rights are African-American rights are Jewish-American rights are disability rights. We are all one people, our rights are inextricably linked.

It's odd, and therefore telling, that Obama considers all of us equals, yet he only seems to reach out to those who bash gays, and not those who bash blacks, or Jews, or people with disabilities, or any other member of America's civil rights community.

Why is that?

If Obama wants to burnish his independent bona fides with a little Sista Souljah now and then, why is his sista always a dyke?

At some point, when your victim is always the same, your actions are no longer a sign of your independence. They're a sign of your bigotry.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    *rapidly becoming more angry at Obama*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Tried to tell you!

Obama's pissing me off, like everyone else is getting, but I still have confidence that he was a better pick than McCain. And will always, no matter the circumstance, be better than Bush.

Obama: Choice of Warren reflects diversity
    (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama on Thursday defended his pick of evangelical pastor Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration next month as one of "a wide range of viewpoints that are presented."
    "And that's how it should be, because that's what America is about," Obama said responding to a question at a news conference about his and Warren's differences on social issues. "That's part of the magic of this country is that we are diverse and noisy and opinionated."
    Liberal groups and gay rights proponents had criticized the president-elect on Wednesday for choosing Warren, who opposes same-sex marriage and abortion rights.
    Those socially conservative stances put him at odds with many in Obama's Democratic Party, especially the party's most liberal wing.
    "[It's] shrewd politics, but if anyone is under any illusion that Obama is interested in advancing gay equality, they should probably sober up now," Andrew Sullivan wrote on the Atlantic Web site Wednesday.
    Obama in the news conference also defended his record on equality for gays.
    "I think that it is no secret that I am a fierce advocate for equality for gay and lesbian Americans," he said. "It is something that I have been consistent on, and I intend to continue to be consistent on during my presidency."
    People for the American Way President Kathryn Kolbert told CNN she is "deeply disappointed" with the choice of Warren and said the powerful platform at the inauguration should instead have been given to someone who has "consistent mainstream American values." iReport.com: What do you think of the pick?
    "There is no substantive difference between Rick Warren and James Dobson," Kolbert said. "The only difference is tone. His tone is moderate, but his ideas are radical."
    Dobson, a social conservative leader, is founder and chairman of Focus on the Family.
    Linda Douglass, a spokeswoman for Obama, defended the choice of Warren, saying, "This is going to be the most inclusive, open, accessible inauguration in American history."
    "The president-elect certainly disagrees with him on [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] issues," Douglass said. "But it has always been his goal to find common ground with people with whom you may disagree on some issues."
    Douglass also noted that Obama and Warren agree on several issues, including advocating on behalf of the poor, the disadvantaged and people who suffer from HIV/AIDS. Watch CNN's Anderson Cooper and his panel discuss the selection
    Obama pointed out that Warren had invited him to speak at his Saddleback Church two years ago even though Warren knew that he had views "that were entirely contrary to his."
    "We're not going to agree on every single issue, but what we have to do is to be able to create an atmosphere when we can disagree without being disagreeable and then focus on those things that we hold in common as Americans."
    Obama also pointed out that Southern Christian Leadership Conference co-founder the Rev. Joseph Lowery, "who has deeply contrasting views to Rick Warren on a whole host of issues," is also speaking.
    Warren's support of California's Proposition 8, a measure that outlaws same-sex marriage in the state, sparked the ire of many gay rights proponents earlier this fall.
    Warren, who has made it a practice not to endorse candidates or political parties, wrote in October that the issue of gay marriage is not a political issue, but instead "a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about."
    "For 5,000 years, every culture and every religion -- not just Christianity -- has defined marriage as a contract between men and women," Warren wrote in a newsletter to his congregation. "There is no reason to change the universal, historical definition of marriage to appease 2 percent of our population."
    Warren also stirred controversy earlier this week when he told Beliefnet.com his grounds for opposing same-sex marriage lie primarily on his right of free speech.
    "There were all kinds of threats that if [Proposition 8] did not pass, then any pastor could be considered doing hate speech if he shared his views that he didn't think homosexuality was the most natural way for relationships, and that would be hate speech." In the 2008 election, Warren hosted Obama and Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, at a candidate forum held in his church.
    His book "The Purpose Driven Life" has sold more than 20 million copies since it was first published five years ago, and Time magazine named him one of the 25 most influential evangelicals in 2005.
    "Many believe that Warren ... is the successor to the [Rev. Billy Graham] for the role of America's minister," Time wrote in 2005.
    Obama: Choice of Warren reflects diversity
    Instead of just writing Obama off as 'throwing gays under the bus,' the pick of Warren should be used as an excuse to hold Obama's feet to the fire even more when it comes to his stance on gay rights.

I remember reading that John McCain got about 27% of the gay vote. So, how can there be this outrage against Obama picking Warren for the inauguration, when almost 30% of gays voted for McCain, who made it clear that he didn't care about any gay rights.

A lot of black people were pissed with Obama's stance on a few issues before the election, but realized that they would just have to hold his feet to the fire on other issues. The same applies here.

Elite Member

I'm of the opinion that pretty much any one short of Hitler would be better than Bush, but is this really the standard? Tijuana, not everyone is upset with Obama....Kingcap is still worshipful. How dare we lecture HIM on Civil Rights and Equality. After all he (thinks he) knows far more than the rest of us on the subject. What he seems to miss is that discrimination has been and continues to be common in this country towards far many more ethnic /social/ gender groups than just his, and that it's ALWAYS WRONG, not just when it's the african americans. You know, I'm not gay, but I think that gay people should have marriage equality. Just like I think women should have wage parity with men. Just as I think it was wrong of our country to imprision it's Japanese descended citizens in internment camps during WWII (dont get me started on Gitmo). What is applied to one group should applied to all. The constitution does not say all citizens but Gays should enjoy equal protection under the law. It says all citizens.

I've never been under the impression that King thinks only AA's are discriminated against.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I'm of the opinion that pretty much any one short of Hitler would be better than Bush, but is this really the standard? Tijuana, not everyone is upset with Obama....Kingcap is still worshipful. How dare we lecture HIM on Civil Rights and Equality. After all he (thinks he) knows far more than the rest of us on the subject. What he seems to miss is that discrimination has been and continues to be common in this country towards far many more ethnic /social/ gender groups than just his, and that it's ALWAYS WRONG, not just when it's the african americans. You know, I'm not gay, but I think that gay people should have marriage equality. Just like I think women should have wage parity with men. Just as I think it was wrong of our country to imprision it's Japanese descended citizens in internment camps during WWII (dont get me started on Gitmo). What is applied to one group should applied to all. The constitution does not say all citizens but Gays should enjoy equal protection under the law. It says all citizens.
    You know me so well, Scooter. You're right. I worship Obama. That's why I've repeatedly said that picking Warren was a DUMB MOVE, because I feel that he can do no wrong. Saying that someone made a DUMB MOVE is a clear sign of worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I been under the impression that King thinks only AA's are discriminated against.
    Discimination happens to EVERYONE, be they black, white, male, female, gay, straight, spanish, asian, Indian, etc. Does that clear things up for you?

And I find it funny that you have that impression, because I remember a while ago when I was accused of being a 'racist' you rushed to my defense and said I wasn't. But you suddenly believe that I think only blacks can be discriminated against? Whatever.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I've never been under the impression that King thinks only AA's are discriminated against.
    Me neither.

King: Sweetie's comment was actually in your defense. See my quote.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not thrilled by the selection of Warren, but I believe in holding Obama's feet to the fire for policy changes he says he wants to make such as repealing parts of DOMA and the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. These are policies that actually affect people's lives in a day-to-day basis. Most people aren't going to remember who gave the benediction or opening prayer at Obama's inauguration years later just like most people can't remember who won best picture at the Oscars five years ago either.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Me neither.

King: Sweetie's comment was actually in your defense. See my quote.
    The version of Sweetie's post that I quoted is different from your version, which is why I took it the way I did.

But if Sweetie was defending me, that's on me. Sorry Sweetie.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The version of Sweetie's post that I quoted is different from your version, which is why I took it the way I did.

But if Sweetie was defending me, that's on me. Sorry Sweetie.
    Yeah, maybe she wrote it wrong at first and went back and edited it.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information