Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama picks anti-gay Prop 8 pusher for invocation at inauguration - gays apoplectic

This choice is so surprising to me. I don't think that this is going to define the next four years of his presidency though.

I think Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton would have been much worse.

That being said, I want to slap Obama right now and take that damn puppy away!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Wait - aren't those damn Orange County Housewives member of the Saddleback church? Don't tell me Truffle Hunter's getting free tickets to the inauguration.

I couldn't handle seeing that face (other than Tuesday nights when I watch the housewives religiously... pardon the pun.)
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

The gays are pisssssssssed

A powerful Democratic friend contacted me this morning to let me know that they talked to the key players yesterday, and Diane Feinstein, chair of the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, had nothing to do with the pick of Rick Warren as Obama's invocation speaker at the inaugural. The decision was made by Obama himself, I'm told, and Feinstein just assumed that he had vetted it with his staff. Difi went along with Obama's decision, not the other way around. If this is true, then our apologies to Senator Feinstein for suggesting that she was involved.

But Jesus. This is rather uncharacteristic of Obama, making some grand gesture from his gut, and not checking it with his brain, or the brains around him. Unless, of course, his brain trust thought this was a brilliant strategic move. I can easily imagine them thinking, what better than to make a nod to the religious right and the religious left, by having Rick Warren and Joseph Lowery, at his inauguration?

Why stop there? If you really want to show that you're not the typical Democrat, that you're breaking the mold and willing to embrace the other extreme of religion and politics, regardless of how much it ticks off your base, why not invite a racist and an anti-Semite too? Just imagine the thrill - one of America's lead civil rights activists, alongside the first black president of the United States, surrounded by men who think of them as little more than slaves. Talk about change!

But Barack Obama would never invite a high profile racist or anti-Semite to stand next to him during his swearing in, regardless of the bigot's caché. Obama did, however, invite a raging homophobe - and it's the second time now that he's done so - and we're supposed to suck it up and say "oh it's okay." Well it's not okay. It's yet another example of how when the bigot is anti-gay, somehow he's not as offensive, not as non grata, as the bigot who bashes blacks or bashes Jews. None should be acceptable, but one always is.

So the day of Obama's inauguration, millions of Obama's supporters get to watch a gay-basher, who compared our love to incest and pedophilia, who helped rip away our civil rights, share the stage with our new president. That's not change. It's the same old crap we've always had to deal with, and apparently always will.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Yes we can?

Can what, Obama?

Till Obama proves otherwise, he's on my "another bigoted asshole" list, and well, fuck Obama. Fuck him hard.

here's his spokesbitch trying to tell everyone it's fine, Obama doesn't agree with him:

"A spokeswoman for President-elect Barack Obama defended the choice of Rick Warren to give the invocation, saying it reflects Obama’s desire to have “the most open and inclusive inauguration in history.” Obama's selection of Warren drew heated criticism from gay activists Wednesday.

“Warren has been a passionate advocate on behalf of the poor and has really led evangelicals to champion the interest who suffer from HIV and AIDS and been an outspoken voice on issue of global warming,” said Linda Douglass. “President-elect Obama has made it clear that he doesn’t agree with Warren on issues around the LGBT community.” Douglass said it’s notable that Joseph Lowery, who has been a strong advocate for civil rights for all and was a close friend of Martin Luther King, is giving the benediction."
    doesn't agree with him, and yet there he is? Honey, when Obama invites a Klansman onto the stage with him, then it might be obvious to you. Till then, you're a retard.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; December 18th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I find it peculiar how many here who excused any shortcoming Obama may have shown during the campaign are now 'through' because he's at last done something that offended them personally. When he was offending other people they just needed to get over it. I'm not trying to pick on anyone, really, but it's funny how that happens.

I don't feel that any major group really fears alienating gays because they aren't perceived as large enough in numbers to 'ruin' anybody, and there's always a reliable segment of the populace who will be there to support anything that is 'anti-gay'. I'm not defending the position at all, just acknowledging it.

FWIW, I've actually warmed to Obama and am proud of many of the pragmatic decisions he has made and thing it goes a long way towards attempting to unify the division in our country. He is a good politician as far as that goes and I'm glad to see he isn't bullied by anyone and realizes he is the President of all Americans whether they voted for him or not.

Please do not interpret this as my approval for this choice, because I'm not pleased although I agree he could do worse.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to figure out who else, or what other group, he offended twice?

Oh, and gays are having a fun time kicking the shit out of the mormons.. they're feeling a sharp sting. So has microsoft, Ford, and any number of other conglomerates. All, except the mormons, have caved. The mormons apparently have more money to hold out.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

more on this loser:

Beneath the sheep's clothing lurks a culture warrior wolf. After the Saddleback forum, he told the Wall Street Journal that the only difference between him and James Dobson was that of "tone." After insisting that his agenda was "broad," and holding himself out as an impartial arbiter of the forum, he declared that voting for a "Holocaust denier" (i.e., someone who is pro-choice) is a "deal-breaker" for many evangelicals. Obama was pressured to talk about "abortion reduction," but Warren likens such rhetoric likening it to Schindler's List: an attempt to save some lives but not end a "holocaust." ...

Warren, a creationist, believes that homosexuality disproves evolution; he told CNN's Larry King in 2005, "If Darwin was right, which is survival of the fittest then homosexuality would be a recessive gene because it doesn't reproduce and you would think that over thousands of years that homosexuality would work itself out of the gene pool."

Warren protests that he's not a homophobe; it's just that two dudes marrying, in his mind, is indistinguishable from an adult marrying a child, a brother marrying his sister, or polygamy. He thinks his AIDS relief efforts represent an elevated form of Christianity over those non-evangelical do-gooders whom he compares to "Marxists" because they're more interested in good works than salvation. The rejection of the "social justice" gospel in favor of the salvation-focused evangelicalism that has come to dominate the definition of "Christian" lies at the heart of the religious right agenda to marginalize liberalism and harness its political power.

Warren represents the absolute worst of the Democrats' religious outreach, a right-winger masquerading as a do-gooder anointed as the arbiter of what it means to be faithful. Obama's religious outreach was intended, supposedly, to make religious voters more comfortable with him and feel included in the Democratic Party. But that outreach now has come at the expense of other people's comfort and inclusion, at an event meant to mark a turning point away from divisive politics.

Sigh.

This flat out sucks. I don't like it at all.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I guess I'm just surprised at the shock I'm seeing. I mean, did people really think this man was human perfection, someone who would always do what you wanted and whom you never thought would do something you didn't like? That's the danger in putting someone up on a pedestal the way so many did with Obama. There's only one way to go when you are up that high. No one can live up to all thay hype. No one. I mean, people really acted like they thought that with him in office the war would be over ASAP, we'd all have jobs and homes and everything would be sprinkled with fairy dust. Some people honestly acted like Jesus had come back. He's a person, not perfect, and this isn't the first time he will disappoint you. And that is true no matter who is in the Oval Office.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I guess I'm just surprised at the shock I'm seeing. I mean, did people really think this man was human perfection, someone who would always do what you wanted and whom you never thought would do something you didn't like? That's the danger in putting someone up on a pedestal the way so many did with Obama. There's only one way to go when you are up that high. No one can live up to all thay hype. No one. I mean, people really acted like they thought that with him in office the war would be over ASAP, we'd all have jobs and homes and everything would be sprinkled with fairy dust. Some people honestly acted like Jesus had come back. He's a person, not perfect, and this isn't the first time he will disappoint you. And that is true no matter who is in the Oval Office.
    Yes, yes they did.
    It was quite funny to me.

He's already broken promise after promise, why would anyone expect any thing less from him?

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I agree with you and this statement.

I never heard of this Warren idiot before but from what I've read here he is some televangelist that caters to the right wingnuts in his beliefs?? Since he is a part of the innauguration ceremony that many non-believers don't believe in or care about anyway, what difference does it make which right wingnut delivers it? They seem to come in varying degrees and maybe he is the lesser degree to many of the others. I can see Obama's point that he is president of both the right and the left and all in-between so maybe having representation from as many sides as possible is the best way to handle it. I also am not gay so maybe I would feel differently if I were. But my friends that I spoke to who are have not expressed personal concern or offense by this choice. Personally I believe that gay couples should have the same rights as any "legally" married couples do throughout the US but IMO this has nothing to do with that. Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Yeah, I don't think any gay person is in shock. We don't get shocked by being thrown under the bus. What I see, is what used to be a tiny sliver of hope get cracked again, and a lot of sighing, resignation, and anger.

Yes, the gays get angry when kicked around.. but shock? Nah.

Obama said the following today regarding the brewing Rick Warren controversy:

I am fierce advocate for equality for gay and -- well, let me start by talking about my own views. I think it is no secret that I am a fierce advocate for equality for gay and lesbian Americans. It is something I have been consistent on and something I intend to continue to be consistent on during my presidency.

What I've also said is that it is important for America to come together even though we may have disagreements on certain social issues.

And I would note that a couple of years ago I was invited to Rick Warren's church to speak, despite his awareness that I held views entirely contrary to his when it came to gay and lesbian rights, when it came to issues like abortion.

Nevertheless, I had an opportunity to speak, and that dialog, I think, is a part of what my campaign's been all about, that we're never going to agree on every single issue. What we have to do is create an atmosphere where we can disagree without being disagreeable, and then focus on those things that we hold in common as Americans. So Rick Warren has been invited to speak, Dr. Joseph Lowery -- who has deeply contrasting views to Rick Warren about a whole host of issues -- is also speaking.

Great, then where are the racists, Mr. Obama? We don't see you embracing too many of them in the name of learning to agree to disagree. Or does your desire to create a new "atmosphere," and reach out to our enemies, stop when it's your own people, your own children, you'd be betraying? Funny how you only reach across the aisle when it's someone else's family getting the shaft.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    That's the really telling thing. Racists, anti-semites, and all the other socially unacceptable viewpoints are roundly denounced and not 'invited to the table' to talk and 'disagree'.. but hey, homophobic bigotry is still acceptable, and must be included.

Really? Fuck you, Obama. It doesn't wash.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Fred Phelps would've been a totally different story. I don't remember seeing Warren picketing funerals and advocating violence against anyone.

And the fact remains, just about any high-profile religious leader would be against gay marriage/gay rights. So, Obama couldn't really avoid that no matter who he picked.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Billy Graham give the invocation for Bill Clinton's inauguration? So, how is that any different from Rick Warren, since his views are almost in line with Graham's. So if Warren has no place at Obama's inauguration, then Graham had no place at Clinton's, even though he's registered as a Democrat.

Uh, the Fred Phelps line was a sarcastic joke.

And what Clinton did was absolutely no different and just as wrong. And some of us were angry back in those days about it as well. Some of us are old and didn't just get politically aware in this election.

The main difference is Clinton wasn't subject to the quick outcry and response that the internet and grassroots politcs now brings. It wasn't running on the same level during Clinton's presidential tenure as it is now.

And to say Obama could not avoid this no matter who he picked is wrong. How about the head of the Episcopalian church- which has long recognized that gays are entitled to all civil rights.

There are a lot of tolerant religious figures, and since this man was not Obama's personal pastor, there really was no sentimental reason to have him there. They could have found someone else. easily.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; December 18th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Bill Clinton wasn't looked at as heaven on earth either.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information