Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama picks anti-gay Prop 8 pusher for invocation at inauguration - gays apoplectic

Elite Member

The point is....the what have you done for me lately, where are you going to go, I'm in , so screw you tone even before he's inaugurated is unbecoming to a Democrat President, IMO. I had hoped for a True Blue Democrat. None of this pussy footing around. Between this and his backing down of the windfall profits surcharge at $110/gallon of oil....*goes off muttering*
    And as far as Pastor Wright, there is no way you listen to that man week after week for 20 years, have him perform your wedding ceremony, have him baptise your 2 kids, and you dont know and agree with what he's about. If you dont agree, get your ass out off the pulpit and find a new church. But go ahead Kingcap, explain to our gay friends here why Obama's choice is a fab idea.

And BTW, Obama is going to have to stand on his own decisions. I did in fact vote for him, as the best choice at the general election.

But you go right ahead and call me names. That always works to distract from the matter under discussion.
    Last edited by scooter; December 17th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

How is Obama saying 'screw you' to the gays? While it's a dumb move to pick Warren, it's not like he's putting Warren in his cabinet and having him create policy. And Obama's not changing his stance against Prop 8 or calling for an amendment to the Constitution against gay marriage. If that happened, then yeah, he'd be screwing the gays over.

But if we're going by that way of thinking then black people should be feeling that Obama has screwed us completely over since he didn't did pick a black pastor.

You continue to complain about Rev. Wright, but you claim you voted for Obama. Uh huh. God, it's like the primaries all over again, except you're kissing up to Grim instead of accusing him of attacking you.

Elite Member

Must be tough for you to lose your wingman! Between showing jumping horses myself and my daughter's sport of figure skating I literally have more gay friends than I do straight. Again I say what I did in another thread...The constitution of this country provides that all citizens should enjoy equal protection under the law. PERIOD. You can pretend it's about Hillary. It's about America. To crib a line from the west wing "this country has been an idea that has lit the world for 200 years' (not so much the last 8). It's time to roll back the atrocities of the last 8 years. Obama has the ablility and the majority to do it. My question is does he have the courage? I certainly hope for my child's sake that he does. Kingcap, you will never meet a more devoted liberal democrat than me. Really. ETA: perhaps you have not noticed, but I dont kiss ass ever. Either I believe and agree or I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Must be tough for you to lose your wingman! Between showing jumping horses myself and my daughter's sport of figure skating I literally have more gay friends than I do straight. Again I say what I did in another thread...The constitution of this country provides that all citizens should enjoy equal protection under the law. PERIOD. You can pretend it's about Hillary. It's about America. To crib a line from the west wing "this country has been an idea that has lit the world for 200 years' (not so much the last 8). It's time to roll back the atrocities of the last 8 years. Obama has the ablility and the majority to do it. My question is does he have the courage? I certainly hope for my child's sake that he does. Kingcap, you will never meet a more devoted liberal democrat than me. Really.

My wingman? What the hell?

And are you lecturing ME about civil rights and equality?

Anyway, Obama DOES NOT have absolute power to do anything without Congress, both Democrat and Republican. He can't just wave a magic wand and wipe out all of the damage Bush has done for the last 8 years. Bush tried to have an imperial presidency and we saw how that turned out. And what does Obama picking Warren to give the invocation have to do with equal rights?

I guess Rev. Fred Phelps was unavailable.

The problem is not just that Warren is against equal rights for gays, although that is a huge problem. He is against many core Democratic principles- that's the problem. He has no place there, especially on that day.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I don't agree with Obama picking Warren, but he could've done much WORSE and picked Jesse Jackson, Jeremiah Wright, Al Sharpton or Louis Farrahkan instead.
    Far worse. He could have had all of them,with a group invocation. It would have taken 3 hours and after dear Louis,everyone would have been punching everyone out. Come to think of it-that would be the best yet. Course,Jesse would have hogged all the time slot.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Far worse. He could have had all of them,with a group invocation. It would have taken 3 hours and after dear Louis,everyone would have been punching everyone out. Come to think of it-that would be the best yet. Course,Jesse would have hogged all the time slot.
    Nah, Jesse would've tried to cut Obama's nuts off, and then would've attempted to get himself sworn in as president.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I guess Rev. Fred Phelps was unavailable.

The problem is not just that Warren is against equal rights for gays, although that is a huge problem. He is against many core Democratic principles- that's the problem. He has no place there, especially on that day.
    Fred Phelps would've been a totally different story. I don't remember seeing Warren picketing funerals and advocating violence against anyone.

And the fact remains, just about any high-profile religious leader would be against gay marriage/gay rights. So, Obama couldn't really avoid that no matter who he picked.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Billy Graham give the invocation for Bill Clinton's inauguration? So, how is that any different from Rick Warren, since his views are almost in line with Graham's. So if Warren has no place at Obama's inauguration, then Graham had no place at Clinton's, even though he's registered as a Democrat.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't lump all of us "Democrats" into the same damn category. I obviously am not OKAY with the choice, but I think it is a tad unfair to group us all into the "typical do nothing" democrat category. Yes, his pick was bullshit, but what did you really expect?
    He's silly enough to try to be buddy buddy with Republicans as people are saying, I am assuming he is trying to pick a middle ground for whatever reason. Hell, I don't agree with it but it could HAVE BEEN A LOT worse.

Rick Warren: But the issue to me is, I’m not opposed to that as much as I’m opposed to the redefinition of a 5,000-year definition of marriage. I’m opposed to having a brother and sister be together and call that marriage. I’m opposed to an older guy marrying a child and calling that a marriage. I’m opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that marriage.

Steven Waldman: Do you think, though, that they are equivalent to having gays getting married?

Rick Warren: Oh I do. … Most people, you know… I have many gay friends, I’ve eaten dinner in gay homes, no church has probably done more for people with AIDS than Saddleback Church. Kay and I have given millions of dollars out of “A Purpose-Driven Life” helping people who got AIDS through gay relationships. So they can’t accuse me of homophobia.
    Nice comparison to pedophilia and incest.

Rick Warren: For five thousand years, marriage has been defined by every single culture and every single religion — this is not a Christian issue. Buddhists, Muslims, the Jews, historically marriage is a man and a woman. And so I’m opposed to that. And the reason I supported Prop 8 really, was a free speech issue. Because if it had…. First, the court overid the will of the people. But second, is, there were all kinds of threats that if you… that did not pass, then any pastor could be considered doing hate speech if he shared his views that he didn’t think homosexuality was the most natural way for relationships. And that would be hate speech. To me, we should have freedom of speech. And you should be able to have freedom of speech to make your position, and I should be able to have freedom of speech to make my position. And can we do this in a civil way?
    Prop 8 was a free speech issue.. you know, not ripping the rights away from thousands.

Warren is a hateful shitbag. Obama picked a bigot.

Wrong move, moron.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

If it makes you feel any better about it Grimm, Warren is also vehemently pro life. Obama tapping this guy has equally offended women as much as gays. 2 for the price of 1.

Grimm, I hate this for you (and all the other gay people, too of course). I really do. I know how much you pushed for him and now this happens. It just goes to show you that all people running for office are lying assholes.

Well let's be realistic: He's better than Bush or McFreak. He is. His page on human rights on his website devotes a lot of space for gay rights, weirdly, and he's said a lot of positive things.. but then this comes out of left field, and you're like.. what?

Time will tell which way he swings, but for right now I want to pimpslap the shit out of him and yell "Wtf is going on in your head~"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    If it makes you feel any better about it Grimm, Warren is also vehemently pro life. Obama tapping this guy has equally offended women as much as gays. 2 for the price of 1.
    Yeah, that prick compared abortion to the holocaust. My brain exploded. Stellar choice, Barack.

Elite Member

Default Re

I don't like the Warren pick either, but...I have in my heart the hope that Obama will make a concerted effort to persuade religious leaders (and followers) to change their minds about gay marriage. Maybe this is the first step.

Elite Member

How? By rewarding them with this completely inappropriate high profile pick? Rewarding bad behavior in no way discourages it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information