Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obama orders Gen McChrystal to US to explain himself after Rolling Stone Article

President Barack Obama accepted the resignation of Gen. Stanley McChrystal "with considerable regret" and nominated Gen. David Petraeus, the head of the U.S. Central Command. The moves come in the wake of the revelation that Rolling Stone magazine would publish politically explosive remarks made by the general and his aides about key administration officials.
    Obama really had no other choice but to boot McChrystal. It's one thing for them to disagree on policy, it's another for McChrystal to be outright insubordinate. If he had kept McChrystal he would've cut himself off at the knees and basically gave everyone else that works for him a free pass to be insubordinate.

And whether you bash your boss in Rolling Stone or on Facebook there's a good chance you're going to lose your job. People should realize that before they do it.

He will make himself out to be the big victim, so I see he was finally able to make a decision over something.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    True but, are there any winners left?
    What exactly is a "Win" in these situations?

Still wondering about that...
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Awesome. The loser that failed in Afghanistan is being replaced with the loser who failed in Iraq.

Change! Hope! More of the same.
    From what I've read/seen, Petreus is a good military leader.

He seemed to be one of the only leaders in the entire clusterfuck that realized "winning" meant more than toppling the government. He anticipated insurgents (our fearless leader apparantly did not), tribal wars and civilian division. And this was early on. He was ignored.

The General's on the ground can only work with what they are given.

(It's already been done but still a good read)

Obama Has to Fire McChrystal - Politics - The Atlantic

It is not about Afghanistan policy -- although, of course it's about that too, with McChrystal as the face and mind of the strategy Obama bought into at the end of last year.

It's about civilian control of the military, respect for the chain of command, and the concepts of disrespect and insubordination. Every officer and enlisted person in every military branch is well schooled in what those concepts mean.

If the facts are as they appear -- McChrystal and his associates freely mocking their commander in chief and his possible successor (ie, Biden) and the relevant State Department officials (Holbrooke and Eikenberry) -- with no contention that the quotes were invented or misconstrued, then Obama owes it to past and future presidents to draw the line and say: this is not tolerable. You must go. McChrystal's team was inexplicably reckless in talking before a reporter this way, but that's a separate question. The fact is -- or appears to be -- that they did it

The second step is what this means for US strategy in Afghanistan, the future of COIN, etc. But the first is for the civilian Commander in Chief to act in accordance with Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution and demonstrate that there are consequences for showing open disrespect for the chain of command.

And, yes, I would say the same thing in opposite political circumstances -- if, for instance, a commander of Iraq operations had been quoted openly mocking George W. Bush and Dick Cheney. Resign in protest: yes, a course of honor. But protest and mock while in uniform, no.

No worries though Stan the man is set for life.

The book deal, talk about juicy, all his black ops days culminating with his run in with President Obama (you can imagine him letting loose, no holds barred in his thoughts about Obama). I'm sure publishers are already in queue waiting to ink him to a deal.

Not only that, but the talk show circuit or maybe 20/20.

And of course the icing on the cake, the speech tour where he can make $$$ talking about leadership, etc. etc.

He's laughing all the way to the bank.

If a lowly private said such unflattering things, to the brig he'd go, with cut pay and a dishonorable discharge after months at hard labor.

And whether you bash your boss in Rolling Stone or on Facebook there's a good chance you're going to lose your job. People should realize that before they do it.
    Yep. I still don't get why everyone doesn't get THAT. I am FB friends with one of my three bosses and I would not DREAM of writing something negative about my job (I like my job, so I wouldn't do it anyway). My other two bosses are also on FB and know how to find me. That would equate to career or relationship suicide.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Awesome. The loser that failed in Afghanistan is being replaced with the loser who failed in Iraq.

Change! Hope! More of the same.
    Huh? Petraeus turned Iraq around. It may not be a bed of roses, but Iraq isn't the complete clusterfuck that it was in 2006 and that positive change is largely due to Petraeus. He's probably the only one who can salvage Afghanistan.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

LOL you'll never win in Afghanistan. Nobody ever has. Empires are broken there, and America will just be the latest addition to that sad trophy wall.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

LOL you'll never win in Afghanistan. Nobody ever has. Empires are broken there, and America will just be the latest addition to that sad trophy wall.
    word + eleventy!11
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Fair enough. That's true. I've talked to several members of the military and it's shocking how little faith they have in their commander in chief.
    I have too and most of them say they would have respect had he served as well. Most say they see it as a civilian run war and not a military one. I for one have always said I don't think they are letting the military do their jobs. I mean it's a war. They aren't there to run around in the fields chasing after fluffy bunnies. Although I agree with his being "Let go."

It's inherently a civilian run war, since a civilian government is supposedly in control of the military
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Most say they see it as a civilian run war and not a military one.
    That's always how the military feels, in every war.

I still hear people whining about Vietnam and how the military should have been unleashed there, to the point of nuclear weapons, to utterly destroy the place.

Abraham Lincoln went through about 5 or 6 generals who thought they could run the war better than he could.

The military serves a civilian authority. The alternative is a military dictatorship. I don't want to live under one of those.
    CHILLY FREE!

^ You might not get your wish, the Pentagon basically dictates policy these days

Elite Member

^ You might not get your wish, the Pentagon basically dictates policy these days
    The Pentagon is the strong arm of a fat corporate leadership.

To wit, why are cops guarding the public beaches for BP on the Louisiana barrier islands? The citizens pay those cops, not BP. Yet those cops are preventing the citizens from entering a public space at the behest of a corporation.

I don't know which is worse, an economic or military dictatorship.
    CHILLY FREE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information