Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama defends 'Defense of Marriage' act in court, says it's good for economy

February, March, April, May, June..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Obama's name and his people are all over this fucking thing.

Tony West, the Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division, is on the [DOMA] brief. He's from Oakland, California, and is a former prosecutor who then, while an attorney at Morrison & Foerster, defended John Walker Lindh, the "American Taliban." He also was the co-chairman of Obama's fundraising committee. This is an Obama person. And his name is on this brief.
    He has been involved in high-profile pro bono cases involving civil liberties while at Morrison & Foerster (a gay-friendly SF firm). No doubt in his role as co-chair of Obama's fundraising efforts did he fundraise from SF's substantial LGBT lawyer community, including colleagues at MoFo. His wife is the former head of the Northern California ACLU. Was the instruction to include these arguments coming from higher ups?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirl View Post
    Apparently, just like I said from the start when the media was putting him up on this pedestal, he's not above playing the game of politics. He's done nothing to further gay rights so far, and shows no intentions or plans for doing so in the future. We're still essentially living in a separate but equal society... how does that line up with Obama's promise for "change?"
    What's the equal part?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Obama's name and his people are all over this fucking thing.

He has been involved in high-profile pro bono cases involving civil liberties while at Morrison & Foerster (a gay-friendly SF firm). No doubt in his role as co-chair of Obama's fundraising efforts did he fundraise from SF's substantial LGBT lawyer community, including colleagues at MoFo. His wife is the former head of the Northern California ACLU. Was the instruction to include these arguments coming from higher ups?
    That's what I was curious about - that just sucks and certainly doesn't serve any purpose - the tide in favor of equality in marriage has most definitely changed. Why wouldn't Obama's administration want to be one the forefront of the inevitable?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Why does this shock people?

I remember Obama answering the gay marriage question during one of the debates. When he said "no" my husband and I got whiplash when we turned to each other in shock.

I expected a media outlash, the blogosphere to go nuts, pundits to scream. That night and the next day, nothing. I even checked out gay political activist sites and saw ne'er a word.

Did everyone think he was kidding?
    Yes! I understand that politicians have to say all sorts of things to garner votes and support but believe and act differently. I am extremely disappointed that he made these recent comments that amount to discrimination against gay people.

He could have just left it alone but these statements make me think he either believes the bullshit he's spewing or he's trying to win the support of the wrong people.

Again, I'm extremely disappointed. This is just wrong to treat people as lesser by not giving everyone the same rights, which is what this "separate but equal" bs is.

Laws Obama doesn't care to Execute:

War-Crimes
    Drug Law
    Illegal Wiretapping

Laws Obama Vigorously Upholds:

Laws Keeping the Gays from Marrying

Cute
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    What's the equal part?
    Good question. Proponents of this "act" would probably argue that gay men and lesbians have equal rights under civil unions, however it is still (in their eyes rightly) separate from marriage. I would argue that they are bigots (why even waste time elaborating on that?) To have to even discuss this "issue" in 2009 is so disheartening. Exactly how long are we going to sit around and continue to accept the status quo?

Elite Member

Obama's wrong on this, and I hope he will reconsider.

In the overall scheme of things, he's still a million times better than Bush or McCain and still better than Clinton.

Clinton and the rethugs gave us Dont Ask, Don't Tell and Defense of Marriage act.

So far Bush upheld it, and Obama is continuing.

From my standpoint, he's no better than either.

I'm not surprised the Chuck and Larry defense finally showed up.

The government is basically allowing states the right to choose whether they will allow and recognize gay marriage. While the incestuous reference was going a bit far, it did illustrate how different state marriage laws are. Basically, its a way to keep the feds out of the issue and let the states do what they want.

I don't recall that happening with interracial marriage. What a cop out.

So you'll have a patchwork of discrimination instead of equality imposed from on top like it should be.

Ridiculous.

Do I detect the sexual orientation equals skin color argument again? It isn't working, obviously.

The government and society aren't seeing it that way, so when will it dawn on the gay rights movement to use another approach? Maybe one that has a basis which supports the movement?

Yes, because ignorami still think it's a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I don't recall that happening with interracial marriage.
    Well, it depends on the argument. The commentary about this case is misleading. The case is about enforcing an already sanctioned marriage in other states. IMO, it's a waste of time. The money and time spent on this case would be better served on the ACLU case. It would kill 2 birds with one stone, like Loving v. Virginia (although there were some challenges to that decision). State's Rights is a sticky Constitutional issue since the Constitution recognizes states as sovereign.

Anyway, this case is not a direct challenge to DOMA. It's basically asking that DOMA be ignored and CA marriages be enforced. They're not asking for the right to marry. They're already legally married. They're asking that states be forced to recognize them as well as the federal government. If the ACLU case is proven and gays win the right to marry, it won't matter anymore. States would have to recognize them. For me, the ACLU case is the important one.

ETA: Of course the DOJ is arguing against it. If these cases win in courts, there can be no legislative victory. No one can take credit for a job well done, ya know?

Well since they compared gay marriage to incest andpedophilia, gays have gone absolutely INSANE

"The" DNC gay fundraiser event has collapsed as high profile guests have backed right out in protest, various Dems are screaming at Obama in horror, and Howard Dean, that useless twat, says he was horrified by the brief that was filed, but then spread the lie that Obama didn't know about it, and he is SO busy right now..

Yeah.

Obama had no idea about it, but trotted out his in-house gay to make a mealymouthed statement that they HAD to defend it (which is a complete lie debunked days ago).. and yet, strangely, silence.. absolute silence, from Obama himself. No comment, no retraction, no apology.

There is NO movement anywhere, says harry reid in the senate, to move on DOMA or DADT and that it's Obama's fault.. while Obama is pointing fingers at congress saying no no, THEY have to do something

It's an absolute clusterfuck and Obama is pretty much losing his gay base on the spot. There are already protests planned, and a couple marches.. people are yanking their money out of the DNC in protest with the fun new term NO GAY RIGHTS = NO GAY DOLLARS and sending back donation cards with that written across.

THe mainstream media is now picking up on the massive schism that's happening.

The gays are seriously, hideously pissed off. They're basically gearing up a boycott of all things DNC, and if there's one thing gays have.. it's money.

This just in:

When one looks very closely at the notices in the brief filed on June 11th by the DOJ, take a look at counsel receiving notice:

James A Campbell
    jcampbell@telladf.org

Brian W Raum
    braum@telladf.org
    joshua@telladf.org
    jhallock@telladf.org

Which is associated with this website: ADF - Together, Making a Difference for Religious Freedom...

Get it? The folks who the DOJ sided with and agreed with are rightwing Christian bigots also associated with militant anti-choice wingers.

ADF is affiliated with Trinity, Regent and Intelligent Design Network and Focus on the Family.

All I have to say is "the company you keep...."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information