Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama caves on Roland Burris, tells Harry Reid to cave, caves to Repubs on stimulus

did everybody just miss this paragraph?

So now, a week after Obama, Reid and Durbin said there was no way they'd let Blagojevich appoint Obama's successor, Obama calls Reid and tells him to appoint the guy Blago picked, and Reid and Durbin capitulate.
    The senate does not have to seat anybody it does no want to.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The Senate can't pick and choose who they won't seat without a good legal reason. They don't have a good legal reason not to seat Burris.

Obama, Reid and Durbin didn't have the power to stop Blagojevich from appointing a senator as long as he was still the governor. They could try to block the appointment from becoming official, but they couldn't stop Blagojevich from making it.

Funny, they had it before yesterday.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

No, they thought that the law was on their side, but most legal experts say that the law is on Burris' side.

they had an option that they chose not to exercise: they could have refused to allow Burris into the Democratic caucus. That's what they were going to do to Lieberman for his endorsement of McCain. (they caved on all the tough talk there as well)

This would have allowed them to block him, without the Constitutional basis coming into question- although many legal minds still feel that the Constitutional provisions for seat refusal would have been valid to block it anyway. Blago was under investigation for selling the seat- and there is reasonable basis for that crime to taint any appointee. 'Fruit of the poisonous tree.'

They also could have agreed to seat him conditionally, with the appointment of a special prosecuter to investigate Burris' connection to the Pay for Play allegations against Blago. If he was cleared, then grant him full admittance.

The Senate has blocked seats 24 times in the past, so it can be done when they choose.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Bingo.

It's more complicated than that. After Obama's and Reid's initial statements, a black democratic congressman from Illinois, Bobby Rush, pulled the race card, and said that the Democrats would be stopping the appointment of a black man to the senate.

That opened up a huge can of worms. Fox News had a field day with it. I should say a field week.

Then, the Congressional Black Caucus got behind Burris.

Then, Diane Feinstein, who is Chairman of the Rules Committee said to seat Burris.

At that point, the Democratic party faced a civil war within its own ranks. Would it be worth it to have finger pointing and namecalling within its own party right before the inauguration?

F*ck that. Let that dumb*ss opportunist Burris have his seat. There are much bigger fish to fry.

Oh good, the race card, a fractured Dem party that has absolutely no cohesion (is there a white congressional caucus, or asian? wtf is that.) and tha's why they lose all the time.

Stupid retards, all of them.

If Reid had any spine he would have shut down that race card argument instantly, but no...

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It's more complicated than that. After Obama's and Reid's initial statements, a black democratic congressman from Illinois, Bobby Rush, pulled the race card, and said that the Democrats would be stopping the appointment of a black man to the senate.

That opened up a huge can of worms. Fox News had a field day with it. I should say a field week.

Then, the Congressional Black Caucus got behind Burris.

Then, Diane Feinstein, who is Chairman of the Rules Committee said to seat Burris.

At that point, the Democratic party faced a civil war within its own ranks. Would it be worth it to have finger pointing and namecalling within its own party right before the inauguration?

F*ck that. Let that dumb*ss opportunist Burris have his seat. There are much bigger fish to fry.
    Exactly. Sometimes, you have to determine if the fight is worth the cost. And this one wasn't, from a legal or political standpoint. And with the economy tanking and two wars going on, in the grand scheme of things, Burris isn't a major issue.

It was the same with Lieberman. The Dems didn't have the fillibuster-proof majority they wanted, so they can't afford to just dump/block senators. So, they had to eat some crow.

Elite Member

It was either seat Burris or allow Illinois to have a special election, which Dems don't want to risk because a GOP candidate may win. It's a rotten situation all the way around and could have been handled better, but it's best to seat Burris-who hasn't done anything legally wrong-and deal with it.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Why can't Rahm Emanuel be president? He doesn't cave to anything.
    I think he will be in 8 years.

The Democrats caved. At the very least, they could have blocked Burris, pending a federal investigation due to an ongoing investigation into the possible illegal activities surrounding Blago's appointment choice.

There was no reason for capitulation. If a fight ensues, so be it. Let Burris prove he did nothing wrong and earn his seat.

What happens if evidence comes to light Burris did engage in unethical or illegal activities to obtain his seat? The dems will look even worse.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Yes, he did:

"Roland Burris is a good man and a fine public servant, but the Senate Democrats made it clear weeks ago that they cannot accept an appointment made by a governor who is accused of selling this very Senate seat. I agree with their decision," the president-elect said in a statement.
    Battle Lines Drawn Over Blago Nominee, Obama, Senate Dems Blast Move To Appoint Former State AG To Senate Seat; Congressman Warns Not To Obstruct It - CBS News

From 'They cannot accept' to accepting 8 it days later...... I hope they plan on being a little tougher when it comes to taking a stand on serious stuff....
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

Look at it this way: he is bound to be better than Bush,if he just shows up!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Look at it this way: he is bound to be better than Bush,if he just shows up!
    Anybody would be better than Bush, except Palin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information