Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more Burger King on Afghanistan base? Soldiers grumble.

We're a military family and I can tell you it's all about troop morale. Having something familiar from home is like a life line. We're living in Germany right now and you'd be amazed how much you need stuff like that, even if you are not in a war zone. These men and women are already sacrificing so much. They need some connection to home to keep them sane.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I hope you family & friends come home safe King, I truely do. I have a lot of admiration for the men & women who put their lves in the lne for us day-in, day-out; even if I dislike some of the politics (both euro & us) behind it.
    Thanks, Novice. I feel the same way about anyone on GR who has friends & family serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I'm not a big fan of some of the military's policies or actions, but I respect what they do and anyone who is willing to put their life on the line & serve.

I meant the politics that sent them there, but I think we're on the same page.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

These guys are in an environment so completely different from one that they're used to... constantly on guard, deep down maybe a little scared at what could happen at any given moment, and they probably want something familiar every once in a while. Not saying this is the best reminder of America they could have but, hey, if it reminds them of home and makes them feel a little better at the end of the day why the hell not? I can't imagine how hard it must be for them.

What is the standard grub that they are eating nowadays? I've heard from those in the military that cooking meals has been outsourced to private corporations with nice juicy contracts. The military is not a self-sustaining, self-contained operation anymore, they pay private contractors to do the cooking and laundry, etc., and keep the low-paid soldiers as cannon fodder and human targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I meant the politics that sent them there, but I think we're on the same page.
    Yeah, we're definitely on the same page, Novice.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'd be more concerned about getting shot, than about having one of Burger King's soggy burgers

My friends are Marines, in their 20s and have been to Iraq 3 times. They expect to be shot at every day and night they are there. They really enjoy receiving care packages with gum & candy. When they're not working, they're pumping iron. When they finally return to Pendleton, they've added 15 lbs of muscle & lowered body fat.

If american soldiers in a hot zone want Burger King/McDonalds/Tacobell or Pizzahut, I think they should have it.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

I have been to environments so hostile and foreign that I cried tears of joy and relief when I saw a McDonald's.

I'm a vegetarian, I hate fastfood chains, I'm the last one to eat Western food when I'm in some faraway place.

But sometimes, when your moral is low, when your back hurts from carrying that damn backpack, when you haven't taken a shower in a week, when the only food you've had is infected with germs, a large French Fries and a chocolate milkshake can appear like a lifesaver.

I can only imagine what it must be like when you're in fucking Afghanistan.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I was in the military for years. Your soldiers losing morale isn't a good thing. I don't like BK but want my soldiers to be happy. It seems like a small thing and they took it away.

Default Fast food making comeback on U.S. bases in Afghanistan

Fast food making comeback on U.S. bases in Afghanistan : Restaurant and Foodservice News : Restaurant and Foodservice News

KABUL, Afghanistan — The U.S. military has lifted a seven-month ban on fast-food restaurants and retail stores at American bases in Afghanistan.

The shops, ranging from Burger Kings to Oakley sunglasses stores and Military Car Sales outlets, were ordered closed in February by former U.S. commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who cited space issues. At the time, McChrystal’s senior enlisted adviser said the profusion of such shops was contributing to an “amusement park” atmosphere at some of the largest U.S. bases.

But Army Command Sgt. Maj. Marvin Hill — who took over as the senior noncommissioned officer in Afghanistan this month — decided to reverse the ban after consulting with other top noncommissioned officers, he said in an interview Thursday.

“For troops to be able to go and grab a burger or a piece of chicken or whatever, I don’t really think it’s that bad,” he said.

In part, Hill said, the change in policy reflects an easing of the logistical challenges posed by the arrival of some 30,000 additional U.S. troops and their equipment. When the ban was announced, those troops were still on their way, straining tenuous NATO supply routes and filling bases beyond capacity.

But the change may also reflect something of a less ascetic attitude within the new command: Both McChrystal and his top enlisted adviser, Army Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall, came from Special Forces backgrounds and led a charge against what they viewed as distractions from the war.

McChrystal also banned the sale of alcohol at NATO bases under his command. Though most U.S. troops have always been barred from drinking while deployed in Afghanistan, other NATO nations do not have similar rules, and U.S. personnel assigned to the International Security Assistance Force headquarters in Kabul had been allowed to consume alcohol. The alcohol ban remains in effect.

Hill said he would leave it to individual base commanders to decide what to bring back, but cautioned that the food courts and shopping areas should be kept within reason.

“It needs to be right-sized,” he said. “We need to keep in mind that everything we bring into the country has to come through the same supply chain, whether it’s fast food or ammunition.”

Hill said he had cracked down on an over-abundance of amenities in Iraq while serving as the top enlisted official there during 2007 and 2008, banning the sale of such items as big-screen televisions.

The ban on shops and fast-food restaurants mainly affected a handful of the largest U.S. bases in Afghanistan such as Bagram Air Field that are primarily home to headquarters and support troops.

Most combat troops remain at smaller bases, often with only the most basic amenities, contributing to something of a quality-of-life dichotomy in Afghanistan, typified by a faux motivational poster that has made the rounds among U.S. troops. The poster shows a picture of two smiling servicemembers holding trays of fast food next to a group of dust-covered troops on patrol. Beneath, it reads: “Afghanistan: individual experiences may vary.”

Spokesman Judd Anstey said Thursday that AAFES had yet to receive official word of the policy change.

“If we receive an official request, AAFES is ready to support fast food concessions in Afghanistan,” he said.

Gen. David Petraeus, who took over command in Afghanistan in July, said he had left the decision about base amenities to Hill but said he believed the shops contributed to morale without creating resentment.

“The feedback I’ve received from the squad and platoon level, if you will, is that they don’t begrudge the occupants of big bases having Burger Kings because they actually like to go to them when they get the chance to go to the big bases,” he said.

Many base amenities were not affected by the ban, such as post exchanges, Internet and telephone centers, Afghan-run bazaar and Green Bean coffee shops.

Since this is an on-going thing should this be merged with No more Burger King on Afghanistan base? Soldiers grumble.
    Just a thought.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I wish whole foods and heb would send over some awesome grass fed beef for a cook out. I don't believe in the war but I do feel for these kids that have been duped into enlisting as their only way out of poverty and getting an education.

Just get these people some decent comfort food. Fuck, I wish they were not there in the first place but they are. They're neighbors and someone knows someone.
    Posted from my iPhone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information