Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: New York Post cartoon shows Obama as a chimp and possibly calls for his assassination

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Don't you know, only poor gangbangers live in the city center. All the rich white priviledged folk are playing croquet on the lawns of their mcmansions in gated communities elsewhere.
    Yep! And all I eat all day is watermelon and fried chicken while sitting on the front stoop in the projects while I wait for one of my babymamas to give me her Welfare check and EBT card!

It would be more funny if I didn't believe people really thought this way.

Don't you know, only poor gangbangers live in the city center. All the rich white priviledged folk are playing croquet on the lawns of their mcmansions in gated communities elsewhere.
    My favorite racist question happens every year around Martin Luther King Jr. Day and it's always 'Are you taking the King Holiday off, since you're black?' My response is always 'Are you taking Columbus Day off because you're white?'

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Yep! And all I eat all day is watermelon and fried chicken while sitting on the front stoop in the projects while I wait for one of my babymamas to give me her Welfare check and EBT card!

It would be more funny if I didn't believe people really thought this way.

God, your cholesterol must be through the roof, but you'll never get scurvy!

All i eat is salad and prozac, anything else and i'm just feeling POOPY during my young republicans meeting.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This thread is giving me a craving for watermelon. But I'm white! I'm so confused now...
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Fri, 20 February 2009
    John Legend’s Open Letter To NY Post

The New York Post has apologized for a Sean Delonas cartoon that supposedly compared President Barack Obama to a chimpanzee.

The drawing showed two policemen over the body of a chimpanzee they’ve just shot as one officer says, “They’ll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill.”

Neo-soul John Legend had written an open letter to the NY Post about it:

Dear Editor: I’m trying to understand what possible motivation you may have had for publishing that vile cartoon depicting the shooting of the chimpanzee that went crazy. I guess you thought it would be funny to suggest that whomever was responsible for writing the Economic Recovery legislation must have the intelligence and judgment of a deranged, violent chimpanzee, and should be shot to protect the larger community. Really? Did it occur to you that this suggestion would imply a connection between President Barack Obama and the deranged chimpanzee? Did it occur to you that our President has been receiving death threats since early in his candidacy? Did it occur to you that blacks have historically been compared to various apes as a way of racist insult and mockery? Did you inte
    nd to invoke these painful themes when you printed the cartoon?

(Click inside to continue reading John Legend’s letter…)

If that’s not what you intended, then it was stupid and willfully ignorant of you not to connect these easily connectable dots. If it is what you intended, then you obviously wanted to be grossly provocative, racist and offensive to the sensibilities of most reasonable Americans. Either way, you should not have printed this cartoon, and the fact that you did is truly reprehensible. I can’t imagine what possible justification you have for this.

I’ve read your lame statement in response to the outrage you provoked. Shame on you for dodging the real issue and then using the letter as an opportunity to attack Rev. Sharpton. This is not about Rev. Sharpton. It’s about the cartoon being blatantly racist and offensive.

I believe in freedom of speech, and you have every right to print what you want. But freedom of speech still comes with responsibilities and consequences. You are responsible for printing this cartoon, and I hope you experience some real consequences for it. I’m personally boycotting your paper and won’t do any interviews with any of your reporters, and I encourage all of my colleagues in the entertainment business to do so as well. I implore your advertisers to seriously reconsider their business relationships with you as well.

You should print an apology in your paper acknowledging that this cartoon was ignorant, offensive and racist and should not have been printed.

I’m well aware of our country’s history of racism and violence, but I truly believe we are better than this filth. As we attempt to rise above our difficult past and look toward a better future, we don’t need the New York Post to resurrect the images of Jim Crow to deride the new administration and put black folks in our place. Please feel free to criticize and honestly evaluate our new President, but do so without the incendiary images and rhetoric.

Sincerely,
    John Legend
    Just Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    This thread is giving me a craving for watermelon. But I'm white! I'm so confused now...
    a touch of the jungle fever!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

God, your cholesterol must be through the roof, but you'll never get scurvy!

All i eat is salad and prozac, anything else and i'm just feeling POOPY during my young republicans meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by MissFit View Post
    Great letter by Legend.

Consuela!!! Where did you put my polo with the popped collar and pink sweater?? I'll just DIE if i can't find anything else to match my khakis. Daddy said i *HAD* to wear it, or else Mr. Caruthers might not give me my lexus for joining his firmmmmmmmm!

Has anybody seen Chip, or Muffy? They were supposed to be here, like, 2 minutes ago!

Consuela!!! She took the day off

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

= great discourse apparantly.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Great letter by Legend.
    Indeed.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

It just means that we can all live in perfect harmony like Ebony & Ivory.

[youtube]uCbD9o948ec[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I don't think calling Bush a chimp was nice, but at least there was no racial connotation. Remember the guy with the monkey wearing an Obama sticker at the Palin Rally? That was offensive to many people too, which it wouldn't have been if Obama were white.
    You completely.

Great letter...

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information