Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: New York Post cartoon shows Obama as a chimp and possibly calls for his assassination

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post

Exactly, that is the new trend...deflecting and denying, saying things like, "you'll find racism if you look for it" or "blacks are racist too!". It may be true, but to just outright deny racism and bigotry is misguided and dangerous to me. But then again, I don't have the luxury of white privilege to dismiss such things.

I'm not racist, I pretty much hate everyone equally, YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Nope, it just means that all other factors (social, economic, gender) being equal, you would have an advantage over somebody non-white in the same situation.

I don't know why people are having such trouble grasping the context. But then again, the luxury of ignoring institutionalised racism is part of white privilege.
    ITA, it's not the "walk a mile in my shoes", but "live some time in my colored skin" that would make things clearer.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I was at an event last night where this was a topic of conversation. One asshole at my table actually said he knew this shit would happen if Obama won. I quote, "just because one of them got elected they think blacks are in charge now." I was about to lose it on him but never had to say a word. The women sitting next to him turned out to be his wife. She apologized to all of us and announced that she had filed for divorce the week before because she could no longer tolerate his racist ways. He got up and left and she went and sat with a friend at another table. The 6 of us left at the table sat there looking at each other in shock. It made me wonder how many other racist assholes think like this guy.

... why was he at the table in the first place
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Because he paid his fee to be there for the event like the rest of us. It was a fundraiser and a good networking opportunity. He showed his true colors though and lost some serious networking chances. I would never use his event planning services now.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    "just because one of them got elected they think blacks are in charge now.".
    One of them.
    Oh that fun old phrase.
    Peoples' ignorance never fails to floor me.

i like "you people"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ Yeah. That's a good one, too.

^^ "Those People" is another one. I love it when ppl try to talk in code...

Ever hear, "It sure is getting dark in here"

Actually no, but that's fucking hilarious.

Of a room filled with homos I've heard "Jesus, i think the curtains are on fire"

[quote=hustle4alivin;1612867]^^ "Those People" is another one. I love it when ppl try to talk in code...

Ever hear, "It sure is getting dark in here"[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Of a room filled with homos I've heard "Jesus, i think the curtains are on fire"

Yeah, the CODING is the best. It usually comes from some dumbass who isn't very good at talking in CODE anyway.

De-Coded.

Damn, that is funny in it's own sad way.

I've also heard "[random black person here] does not reflect our demographics"

Or "Urban". I always thought of "urban" as a large concentration of people in a city. I know plenty of white people who live in a city.

Damn, that is funny in it's own sad way.

I've also heard "[random black person here] does not reflect our demographics"

Or "Urban". I always thought of "urban" as a large concentration of people in a city. I know plenty of white people who live in a city.
    I took "Urban Studies" at uni... it was basically city planning. Everybody asked me why I was majoring in hip-hop.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Don't you know, only poor gangbangers live in the city center. All the rich white priviledged folk are playing croquet on the lawns of their mcmansions in gated communities elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I was at an event last night where this was a topic of conversation. One asshole at my table actually said he knew this shit would happen if Obama won. I quote, "just because one of them got elected they think blacks are in charge now." I was about to lose it on him but never had to say a word. The women sitting next to him turned out to be his wife. She apologized to all of us and announced that she had filed for divorce the week before because she could no longer tolerate his racist ways. He got up and left and she went and sat with a friend at another table. The 6 of us left at the table sat there looking at each other in shock. It made me wonder how many other racist assholes think like this guy.
    I wish I could say I was shocked, but I'm not. Obama has forced all of the racists to really just let it fly. But it really isn't about Obama. Racists have realized that the 'good old days' are gone. And by 'good old days' I mean when white men ran everything, and minorities and women had nothing.

Having Obama as a president is just another sign that the status quo is gone, and that scares hardcore racists. But that racism goes both ways, because one of my friends who went to the inauguration heard some black guy say that 'now we're in charge.' So, stupidity and racism transcends color lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I took "Urban Studies" at uni... it was basically city planning. Everybody asked me why I was majoring in hip-hop.
    I wonder when 'urban' automatically became 'hip-hop?'

^^ "Those People" is another one. I love it when ppl try to talk in code...

Yup, I've heard it.

I remember one of the women I used to work with made a comment about how the cover of our sports section was starting to look 'too dark.' Which was code for we've got too many black people on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Bigots can occasionally be hilarious.

The best thing is calling them on their shit and watching them attempt to give a bumbling explation.

A few months ago, as I was buying my newspaper, I made a comment to the clerk lady about how parking is hell in my neighborhood. She took that as an invitation to launch a tirade about how it's THEM (meaning the immigrants: my neighbourhood has the highest percentage in Greece).

I bit my initial reaction to tell her to shove it, and just had some fun deconstructing her statement. I pointed out to her that a)our neighbourhood has always been the most densely populated in Athens and b)immigrants overall have fewer cars per family than Greeks, and then told her that by that logic, an all-Greek population would mean the parking problem would in fact be worse, therefore her comment is ridiculous as well as utterly devoid of sense. All in my most earnest, innocent expression.

That bitch always had the most saccharine, overly familiar manner with me before. Now she glares at me when I pass by her shop.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information