Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New York Post cartoon shows Obama as a chimp and possibly calls for his assassination

Thumbs down NY Post apologizes to some over monkey cartoon

(Another fake ass "apology" a la miley cyrus, for once al sharpton is absolutely right here)

NY Post apologizes — to some — over monkey cartoon - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – After two days of protests, the New York Post apologized Thursday for a cartoon that some have interpreted as comparing President Barack Obama to a violent chimpanzee gunned down by police. But the newspaper also said its longtime antagonists exploited the image for revenge.

The qualified apology didn't mollify at least some of the cartoon's critics, who said they might continue protesting Friday.

The newspaper posted an editorial on its Web site Thursday evening saying the cartoon was meant to mock the federal economic stimulus bill, but "to those who were offended by the image, we apologize."

The piece was posted hours after 200 picketers chanting "Boycott the Post! Shut it down!" marched in front of the paper's office, saying the cartoon echoed racist stereotypes of blacks as monkeys.

The editorial said that "most certainly was not its intent," adding that some media and public figures who have long-standing differences with the paper saw the cartoon "as an opportunity for payback."
    Calling them "opportunists," the editorial said: "To them, no apology is due." (WTF THIS IS AN "APOLOGY???")

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who helped lead the outcry over the cartoon, criticized what he called the paper's "conditional statement" of regret. "Though we think it is the right thing for them to apologize to those they offended, they seem to want to blame the offense on those (who) raised the issue, rather than take responsibility for what they did," he said in a statement.

The tabloid, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., is known for its feisty attitude, provocative headlines and conservative outlook — a mix that has garnered hundreds of thousands of readers, but also criticism over the years.

The newspaper had stood by the cartoon, which its editor called "a clear parody" about the death of Travis, the chimp that Connecticut police killed Monday after it mauled a friend of its owner. Editor-in-chief Col Allan had said the intent was to ridicule Washington's efforts to revive the economy.

The drawing by longtime Post cartoonist Sean Delonas, published Wednesday, shows a dead chimp and two police officers, one with a smoking gun. The caption reads, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

The Post was picketed and deluged with angry calls, with some of Thursday's marchers carrying signs that said "Jail Billionaire N.Y. Post Owner Rupert Murdoch."
    "We make them and we break them with our money, and we should shut it down," said protester Angela Brown, who carried a glossy photo of Obama.
    Some protesters said the cartoon not only underscored racist tropes but even suggested that Obama should be shot.
    "Since when can you call for the killing of the president of the United States?" demanded City Councilman Charles Barron.

Got to love a fake, half-ass apology. But something tells me if the Post starts to lose advertisers then the cartoonist and the editor will be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I knew this point would be brought up. Except in Dubya's case white people as a whole weren't constantly referred to as 'monkeys' or' chimps' so there was no racial overtones to it. If somebody depicts Obama as a monkey, whether this cartoon is or not, does smack of racial overtones toward blacks in general because those terms have been used too many times. Plus the idiot at the Palin rally who had the toy monkey with an Obama sticker wrapped around it.

Now, my gut instinct is telling me that it's about Obama, but I'm trying to give the Post the benefit of the doubt.
    On that note, a livejournal friend of mine linked to a relevant article:

Black-ape linkages still influence Americans subconsciously: Study

Send to a friend:

Washington , Mar 6 (ANI): They might not be overtly racist today, but many U.S. citizens still subconsciously link African Americans with apes, says a new study.
    And that is the reason why people still use words and metaphors that slyly highlight a less-than-human bias and approve violence against Blacks.
    The team of researchers led by Phillip Atiba Goff, assistant professor of psychology at Penn State conducted six studies of college-age students.
    “Historical racist images and books dehumanizing African Americans in the 19th and early 20th century relied heavily on the Negro-ape metaphor, which was used to stereotype Blacks as lazy, dim and aggressive. Such dehumanization and animal imagery have been used for centuries to justify violence against many oppressed groups. The images have disappeared from popular culture and from most people’s memory. However, after completing six studies, we found strong evidence that Black-ape linkages still influence people subconsciously and impact their judgment particularly in the case of African American suspects and defendants,” said Goff.
    It was found that the participants, even those with no stated prejudices or knowledge of the historical images, quickly linked Blacks with apes than they were to link Whites with apes.
    For the first 3 studies the researchers flashed concealed Black or White male faces on a screen for a fraction of a second to “prime” the participants, who quickly identified blurry ape drawings after they were primed with Black faces than with White faces. They made the connection only with African American faces. However, the third study failed to find an ape association with other non-White groups, such as Asians.
    In the fourth study it was shown that the implicit linkage can be subconscious for participants. In the fifth study, the researchers subliminally primed 115 White men with words associated with either apes (such as “monkey,” “chimp,” “gorilla”) or big cats (such as “lion,” “tiger,” “cheetah”). Apes and big cats are associated with violence and Africa .
    Later the subjects were made to watch a 2-minute video clip, depicting several police officers violently beating a man of undetermined race. A photo of either a White or a Black man was shown at the beginning of the clip to indicate who was being beaten. The students were then asked to rate how justified the beating was.
    It was found that participants who thought the suspect was White were no more likely to disregard the beating when they were primed with either ape or big cat words. But those who thought the suspect was Black were more likely to justify the beating if they had been primed with ape words than with big cat words.
    In the 6th study, the researchers showed that in hundreds of news stories from 1979 to 1999 in the Philadelphia Inquirer, African Americans convicted of capital crimes were about four times more likely than Whites convicted of capital crimes to be described with ape-relevant language, such as “barbaric,” “beast,” “brute,” “savage” and “wild.”
    “While the explicit images of Blacks as apes have disappeared from the U.S. media, the images still may continue in coded language. Perhaps subtle metaphors that go largely unnoticed in the media continue to have great effect and even be linked to life-and-death decisions,” said the researchers.
    Goff indicated ” If you look at some political cartoons of Condoleezza Rice, Barack Obama and Colin Powell, you see that they are represented in ape-like caricatureIt is not explicit depiction and therefore not seen as offensive.
    “But not seeing Blacks as humans leads to implicit or subconscious bias, leading to support of stereotyping and other forms of discrimination again African Americans. Old-fashioned prejudice involves deliberate action and beliefs. By studying implicit knowledge and how it functions, we can study the mechanisms in hopes of remedying dehumanization’s savage consequences.”
    The study’s findings are published in the paper, “Not Yet Human: Implicit Knowledge, Historical Dehumanization and Contemporary Consequences,” in a recent issue of Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, which is published by the American Psychological Association. (ANI)

Black-ape linkages still influence Americans subconsciously: Study
    Even if the cartoonist didn't have a history of racially offensive/homophobic cartoons, it'd be pretty obvious this is racist. And not in a subtle way either.
    Last edited by Tati; February 20th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    On that note, a livejournal friend of mine linked to a relevant article:

Even if the cartoonist didn't have a history of racially offensive/homophobic cartoons, it'd be pretty obvious this is racist. And not in a subtle way either.

Good reference Aella. The study is so right, subconscious racism is so insidious. Again I don't see how in this day and age anyone can claim ignorance about these matters. Especially someone that works at a major newspaper outlet.

But the racists and ignorants are sometimes clever with plausible deniability.

yeah I dont; i dont get it all! ^ but you can tell me about your name; the conotations surrounding that aren't exactly positive now are they, but its your name. ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Good reference Aella. The study is so right, subconscious racism is so insidious. Again I don't see how in this day and age anyone can claim ignorance about these matters. Especially someone that works at a major newspaper outlet.

But the racists and ignorants are sometimes clever with plausible deniability.

Exactly, that is the new trend...deflecting and denying, saying things like, "you'll find racism if you look for it" or "blacks are racist too!". It may be true, but to just outright deny racism and bigotry is misguided and dangerous to me. But then again, I don't have the luxury of white privilege to dismiss such things.

I'm not racist, I pretty much hate everyone equally, YMMV.

gawd, white privilege.

When am i getting MY white privilege? I sent away for it, but it's been *checks* almost 30 years.

I'm as cracker as they get without being albino, and UPS is fucking up my white privilege delivery.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I been waiting longer than you, so zip it!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I have white privilege and divine pussy privilege both on my side and I haven't gotten that delivery yet either.

maybe they stuffed your white privilege in the pussy privilege and they both got waylaid at a lesbian meeting
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Eh...We'll just have to agree to disagree on the subject, and this isn't the place to discuss such matters.

...Anyway, back on topic

What, you guys never got your white privilege package?! I got mine long ago and now I just hang in my mansion sending my butler on errands, because you know, I'm white and get everything handed to me.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    What, you guys never got your white privilege package?! I got mine long ago and now I just hang in my mansion sending my butler on errands, because you know, I'm white and get everything handed to me.
    Whatever, "privilege" is not necessarily monetary...

I suppose I should also have the white guilt.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Well now that pisses me off. I am writing a letter. I wonder who I should send it to? I guess I could just bitch, gripe, moan and complain to everybody I see.
    Or, I could start up a class action suit.

Nope, it just means that all other factors (social, economic, gender) being equal, you would have an advantage over somebody non-white in the same situation.

I don't know why people are having such trouble grasping the context. But then again, the luxury of ignoring institutionalised racism is part of white privilege.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information