Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New RNC Chairman says work is not jobs. Huh?

Anyone remember the snausages commercials (highly annoying)....the Republicans are now that dog but just replace snausages with "TAX CUT....tax cuts tax cuts tax cuts" When having a conversation not dealing with TAX CUTS, you get this brainiac.

As an aside, the only tax cuts left that will make any difference is SS and Medicare and oh holy heck this country would implode upon itself in record speed if those are the next cuts with all the baby boomers retiring and getting ready to retire in the next 15 years. Good time ahead! I just cannot wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    They won't, they'll pay off bills.
    Exactly. Or just sock the money away for a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    They won't, they'll pay off bills.
    That's spending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    That's spending it.
    But spending the money on bills doesn't do anything for the economy. You need people to spend the money buying consumer goods.

^ I know, I was just joking with Grim.

My point is to give it to the people and let them stimulate the economy instead of bailing out people that have failed us once. Everyone could get a card with the money on it and that card would only be accepted at places, and for purchases, that would stimulate the economy. That way, if you try to sock it away, or to pay bills, you're shit out of luck.
    There are ways around these things, and it's not to give the fat cats that have already destroyed this country more money.

1) Giving it to people won't help anything. They will pay off bills. It will be a holding action.

2) Giving it to banks is also a bad idea, considering they just spend it on themselves, instead of shoring up their holdings so credit is lent again.

Frankly, what needs to happen is like what happened in Germany in the 30's. Massive public works projects, building and reparing infrastructure and expanding it.

Problem is, most companies tapped to do that would hire foreign or other cheaply paid guest workers to do it, thus helping NOBODY.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ I know, I was just joking with Grim.

My point is to give it to the people and let them stimulate the economy instead of bailing out people that have failed us once. Everyone could get a card with the money on it and that card would only be accepted at places, and for purchases, that would stimulate the economy. That way, if you try to sock it away, or to pay bills, you're shit out of luck.
    There are ways around these things, and it's not to give the fat cats that have already destroyed this country more money.
    The card idea sounds good, but you know there would be people that would find a way to get around just using it for consumer products. Plus, it wouldn't be enough to drag us out of this recession.

From all reports, the US lost over a trillion dollars last year and we're on course to lose over a trillion dollars this year. Plus, we've already lost more jobs in this recession, than we lost in the last two recessions. Not to mention states are running out of money to pay their workers and their bills. So, the government has to do something major like the stimulus to jolt the economy. The stimulus isn't perfect, but it's either that or we watch the economy continue to crash and burn.

What are you two not understanding?

I said: Hand out government issued cards that can only be used for the purchase of consumer goods.
    If someone tries to use it at Ford Motor Credit for the payment of a current auto loan....denied. If they try to use it as a downpayment for a new vehicle...accepted.

Someone tries to use it to pay a Walmart credit card bill....denied. Used for the purchase of goods....accepted.

It's kinda like FEMA. You can't use that money to pay off bills. It has to be used for the rebuilding of your prior standings and you have to show receipts.

Same goes for electric companies....they wouldn't be set up to accept the cards, therefore, electric bills can't be paid with this money.

And trust me, I know this will never happen, because the simple man doesn't matter in this country. I am just saying, nothing else seems to work, lets try something else that makes sense.

I got what you said about government issued cards. And I still stand by my point that people could find ways around just using it for purchases. I mean, when was the last time the government did something that was fail-proof?

Hell, even Obama told the people he spoke to in Indiana yesterday that the stimulus isn't perfect because it's coming out of Washington and going through Congress. So, when the president says the government isn't fail-proof that says it all.

Plus, the idea of forcing people to spend stimulus money on consumer goods instead of paying off their electric bills so they can have power or catching up on mortgage payments so they don't lose their homes doesn't make sense. What's the point of buying new electronic equipment if you don't have any power to use them or no home to keep them in.

^ You can buy a book and candles. You don't have to buy a 60' flat screen wall tv.

I don't think I could disagree more. What's gotten up into this mess is that we haven't spent a dime on healthcare, education or infastructure since the 1950's, couple that with the fact that we are now moving into our 4th generation of Americans who have no undrstanding of the concept of saving and we have an unbelievable lack of financial maturity. What really is wrong with the country's economy suffering for a while why we reprioritize a few things - like bridges that don't fall down during rush hour or available medical care that isn't run by idiot insurers? What's wrong with having an educational system that actually teaches? I live client to client and have about zip credit and I'm ok to tighten my belt for the foreseeable future so we don't just keep replaying this same crap - fail/bailout/stimulus/fail/bailout repeat. THE LAST thing we need in this country is for people to go out and buy more crap that they don't need and didn't save or prioritize to buy. A little corporate ethics and empathy could help too.

^ You can buy a book and candles. You don't have to buy a 60' flat screen wall tv.

Who wants to buy a book and candles if you've got free money from the government?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I don't think I could disagree more. What's gotten up into this mess is that we haven't spent a dime on healthcare, education or infastructure since the 1950's, couple that with the fact that we are now moving into our 4th generation of Americans who have no undrstanding of the concept of saving and we have an unbelievable lack of financial maturity. What really is wrong with the country's economy suffering for a while why we reprioritize a few things - like bridges that don't fall down during rush hour or available medical care that isn't run by idiot insurers? What's wrong with having an educational system that actually teaches? I live client to client and have about zip credit and I'm ok to tighten my belt for the foreseeable future so we don't just keep replaying this same crap - fail/bailout/stimulus/fail/bailout repeat. THE LAST thing we need in this country is for people to go out and buy more crap that they don't need and didn't save or prioritize to buy. A little corporate ethics and empathy could help too.
    Exactly. We need to invest in our infrastructure, which will create jobs and give a major boost to all of the construction industries. We need to shore up the levies to avoid another Katrina disaster and upgrade the electrical grids, which is why even a minor storm will leave thousands of people without power. Our schools are crumbling and are overcrowded, which is why the U.S. is falling behind other industrialized nations in math, science and reading.

We have to invest money in the country now, because it's rotting before our eyes.

Using Steele's argument, then he doesn't have a job either. Heading the RNC is temporary, not long term. So isn't his job "work", and not a "job" according to him?
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information