Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire Primaries come to an end; precincts start reporting

I think she's electable. I absolutely think she can win in a general election. People never expected her to win in NH but she did. She's a good politician and I think she has a real shot at the white house. In fact I think she's our next president. But hey, we'll see in time.

Silver Member

Actually, up until last week (after the Iowa caucus) she was expected to win NH. I think she might be able to squeak out a victory in the general election...maybe. Obama, OTOH, would definitely win.

A*O

From this great distance it seems that everyone (including a lot of Republicans) agrees that the next President will be a Democrat. And I think this election is going to be very exciting because it really could go either way to Hillary (first woman POTUS) or Obama (first black POTUS). History in the making.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm not so sure. I'm trying not to be cynical, but its not so easy. If Obama wins the nom, he'll take office, I'd bet anything on that. But if Hillary takes the nom, I'm not sure - you get someone like Guiliani as the Repub frontrunner and he'll take much of the Independent vote, definitely win the Repubs, and take the votes of all the people who will vote solely to vote against Hills. So I'm not so sure at all anymore, its not so cut and dry.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Silver Member

^Right, whoever runs against Hillary will get a lot of "anti-Hillary" votes.

Quote Originally Posted by purewine View Post
    Actually, up until last week (after the Iowa caucus) she was expected to win NH. I think she might be able to squeak out a victory in the general election...maybe. Obama, OTOH, would definitely win.
    sorry, just meant people didn't expect it in the past few days, based on the polls, I shouldn't have said "never"

I am/was a Hilary supporter up until her and her family's last few speeches. I read between the lines, and it seemed like they were saying you are good enough to vote for me, but not good enough to be President and run against me.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Who are you supporting now SS, if you don't mind me asking? If its personal and you don't want to declare, I understand.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Who are you supporting now SS, if you don't mind me asking? If its personal and you don't want to declare, I understand.
    It's not personal at all, I liked Obama from the 2004 DNC, and the feeling I am getting from him as I research him, and hear him speak. The rejuvenation that I am getting from him now, outweighs my disdain for Oprah. Since, I can't stand Edwards with a passion, his "Southern Baptist" bs got to me before he declared this time...now to hear him speak makes my eye twitch! Before I was all PRO Hilary I had a lot of views in common with Kucinich...I am a left leaning liberal, with a strong conservative view or two...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    ^^^ Exactly! Thats what I don't get...the Democrats should play this smart. Listen, I was just talking to my mom who is a hardline Republican from way back in the day. But she's disillusioned with her choices. She's thinking of voting Obama (and if you knew her, you'd be astounded, in a good way). Its amazing that someone such as her would be backing a democratic candidate. But never in her life would she ever vote for Hillary. Obama has the power to win the Independent vote and some of the Republican vote. Hillary will struggle to gain some of the Independent vote and will never surrender any Republicans to her cause. As an Independent, I will not vote for Hillary. I won't vote, period, if she's the Democratic candidate. Promoting her means we may see yet another Republican climb into the White House. Why aren't people seeing it straight and voting for the most ELECTABLE Democrat? And even in NH people were voting for her while saying she was less electable. How smart is that? It worries the hell out of me that we'll have yet another Repub in office because the Democrats can't see the bigger picture in this election and push through the person that is the most electable.
    I agree with your entire post. The Dems have to play this smart. They can't try to back Hillary just because she's Bill's wife. That's not going to be enough. And if Hillary gets the nomination, a lot of the independents and younger people who are backing Obama aren't going to vote for her, unless Obama is on the ticket with her. Otherwise, they'll probably do what you said you would do, and just stay home.

While Hillary has some good ideas, the truth of the matter is she isn't highly-electible on a national level and she isn't going to win a lot of converts. Obama, on the other hand, has proven he has the power to, not only inspire people to come out and vote, but to convert people, like he did with your mother.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    It's not personal at all, I liked Obama from the 2004 DNC, and the feeling I am getting from him as I research him, and hear him speak. The rejuvenation that I am getting from him now, outweighs my disdain for Oprah. Since, I can't stand Edwards with a passion, his "Southern Baptist" bs got to me before he declared this time...now to hear him speak makes my eye twitch! Before I was all PRO Hilary I had a lot of views in common with Kucinich...I am a left leaning liberal, with a strong conservative view or two...

Speaking of which.....I wonder if Oprah's endorsement of Obama will help or hurt his campaign. I know some middle aged white women who watch her show will probably be eager to vote for him now (anyone who votes for him because Oprah told them to needs their voting rights revoked immediately), but on the other hand celebrity endorsements can hurt politicians, because the candidate is then taken less seriously, or because the person just doesn't like that celebrity. But I guess a Poprah blessing can never hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    I wonder if Oprah's endorsement of Obama will help or hurt his campaign. I know some middle aged white women who watch her show will be eager to vote for one of Oprah's favorite...um people... but on the other hand celebrity endorsements often hurt politicians, because they're seen as not serious, or because the person just doesn't like that celebrity. But I guess a Poperah blessing can never hurt.
    I don't think Oprah's endorsement will hurt Obama that much, if at all. I mean, Oprah carries a lot of clout, and her endorsing Obama won't really make somebody vote for him. But it will make a wider audience who probably may not have given him a listen before decide to listen to him now.

I mean, I was leaning more toward Hillary, even after Oprah's endorsement. Oprah's opinion doesn't carry ANY weight with me. But I started leaning more toward Obama after the Iowa caucus, and that had nothing to do with Oprah.

I would think it's more likely that people wouldn't back Hillary because she's Bill's wife, not the other way around.

I can't imagine voting against a candidate because anybody, let alone a celeb like Oprah that I've never met, supports them. I think for myself and if I could vote in the U.S. election, I would vote for Hillary, flaws and all. She's by far the smartest, most experienced and most politically savvy candidate. I would never count her out -- she's overcome a lot of obstacles and has the ability to deal effectively with foreign policy AND domestic issues.

ETA: I don't think she talks down to people at all. Her family background certainly doesn't support that, and I've never seen her do it. She is an intellectual, but she's not a snob -- good presidential qualities.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; January 10th, 2008 at 01:52 AM.

i've been anti-hils since Bill was in office. But, she's kinda growing on me. i've got a lot of homework and research to do before i make up my mind.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    Speaking of which.....I wonder if Oprah's endorsement of Obama will help or hurt his campaign. I know some middle aged white women who watch her show will probably be eager to vote for him now (anyone who votes for him because Oprah told them to needs their voting rights revoked immediately), but on the other hand celebrity endorsements can hurt politicians, because the candidate is then taken less seriously, or because the person just doesn't like that celebrity. But I guess a Poprah blessing can never hurt.
    Actually it might end up hurting her more than him, especially among those middle aged white women who side with Hilary. I think that anyone who voted for someone for something other than the issues confronting America, their livelyhood etc...like:: Edwards kids are so cute, I think Romney is nice, their race or gender or religious beliefs, her husband was a great President, or Ben Affleck keeps appearing with him so he must be the one I have to vote for... should all get their voting privileges taken away!! People take voting so lightly at times. I remember ministers down south preaching to their congregations(the Sunday before the 2004 Presidential elections) that if you didn't vote for Bush, then Gay people will be allowed to get married and screw with God's grand design of the Holy Union between a Man and a woman..WTF!! Things like that annoy me to know end, you can barely feed your family, or afford for your kids to see a doctor but hey let's vote for this Prick so two people of the same sex can't get married...we can eat wish sandwiches for the next for years...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information