Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mormons baptised Pres. Obama's mother after she died without his consent

Religious dogma is always weird, but Mormons are right there with the Scientologists in terms of the crazy. Why is one considered a cult and not the other?
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

^^ That depends on the viewpoint, I guess. In Europe, the LDS church is widely considered a sect.

In the US, it's just business as usual.

IMO, this should be illegal. I consider this act a violation of a dead body, which is a federal crime.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ^^ That depends on the viewpoint, I guess. In Europe, the LDS church is widely considered a sect.

In the US, it's just business as usual.
    I know, I was referring to the US. Here for instance, it's not legally recognised as a religion.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

A*O

The Mormons have been doing this for years. They look up public Death notices and wave their magic wand. No doubt my late Dad has been signed up by now but that's his problem, not mine. On the other hand if you want to trace your family ancestry the Mormon genealogical database is probably the best in the world so provided you have some details on names, places and dates they will probably be able to help.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't really understand why people get so upset about it. It's just some silly voodoo invoking the person's name that actually affects nothing. Sure, it's arrogant and disrespectful, but it's also too meaningless and stupid to be taken seriously. It has no validity whatsoever but getting upset about it almost lends it some illusion of legitimacy. If you don't believe it, what does it matter? I don't care who "baptizes" me after I die (as long as they don't use my actual corpse ). It just has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I don't really understand why people get so upset about it. It's just some silly voodoo invoking the person's name that actually affects nothing. Sure, it's arrogant and disrespectful, but it's also too meaningless and stupid to be taken seriously. It has no validity whatsoever but getting upset about it almost lends it some illusion of legitimacy. If you don't believe it, what does it matter? I don't care who "baptizes" me after I die (as long as they don't use my actual corpse ). It just has no meaning.

Well said. What will anyone of us care? Dead anyways. Moved on. Left the building.

This would not be a baptism. It would just be some ceremony, in her name, but not a baptism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    This would not be a baptism. It would just be some ceremony, in her name, but not a baptism.
    But Mormons don't believe that. A lot of them totally believe in the Baptism of the Dead ceremony.

Doesn't matter what they believe in, it's not a baptism.

LOL

Ok, so one sky fairy cult says that their baptism is real, and another sky fairy cult says only THEIRS is real

when does the sky fairy come down to let everybody know what the deal is?

Hilarious! A bunch of supersticious make believe garbage, and people fighting over which supersticious make believe bargabe is more REAL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think it is a big deal to usurp someone's personal beliefs and wishes. If I spend my entire life as one religion or no religion, who the fuck are the mormons to claim me after I'm dead? It may not actually mean anything but neither does any other organized religion and people fight like hell over that - I think even wars have broken out once or twice.

Don't care if it's a ceremony, if they threw her name in fire, sacrificed a virgin republican....If she wanted to become a mormon before she died, she would have, and her family didn't ask this of them in her death...then it's rude and ignorant. This goes for everyone they do this to. In America we have the right to choose a religion, or to not choose one...not have some whackados come along and induct you into their cult with some sacrificial ceremony after you've been dead for several years! They are worse than the Witnesses...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    LOL

Ok, so one sky fairy cult says that their baptism is real, and another sky fairy cult says only THEIRS is real

when does the sky fairy come down to let everybody know what the deal is?

Hilarious! A bunch of supersticious make believe garbage, and people fighting over which supersticious make believe bargabe is more REAL
    Which cults are you talking about? Who's fighting? I didn't read that in the article.

This is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy McWoof View Post
    How does one baptize a dead person? Wasn't being alive and consenting to it a requirement?
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Next time LDS comes to my door, I'll say I'm converting after I die.
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think it is a big deal to usurp someone's personal beliefs and wishes. If I spend my entire life as one religion or no religion, who the fuck are the mormons to claim me after I'm dead? .
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Which cults are you talking about? Who's fighting? I didn't read that in the article.

all religions are cults, and you're saying that the mormon baptism isnt a real baptism while supposedly some other baptism IS real.. there's no such thing, both are just imaginary hoodoo rituals. Neither is more real than the other
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information