Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree363Likes

Thread: More open racism in Trump's America

New Hampshire lawmaker Werner Horn: 'Owning slaves doesn't make you racist'

Kristin Lam, USA TODAYPublished 11:33 p.m. ET July 18, 2019 | Updated 12:13 a.m. ET July 19, 2019

A New Hampshire lawmaker came under fire this week for claiming American slavery was based on economics, not racism.
    Republican state Rep. Werner Horn stated his case in a now-deleted Facebook post, then reaffirmed his position in multiple interviews with media outlets.

Horn initially drew attention for his comments in a Facebook post by former state House member Dan Hynes, who posed the question: "If Trump is the most racist president in American history, what does that say about all of the other presidents who owned slaves?"

Horn responded, “Wait, owning slaves doesn’t make you racist..."

"I guess not," Hynes answered Tuesday. "Which is surprising since everything else makes someone a racist."

Horn then added, “It shouldn’t be surprising since owning slaves wasn’t a decision predicated on race but on economics. It’s a business decision.”

Sanitized textbooks: Schools do a terrible job teaching about slavery

New Hampshire state Rep. Werner Horn remarked on Facebook July 16, 2019 that "owning slaves doesn't make you racist." (Photo: Facebook)

Hynes took a different position on Thursday via Facebook, saying that "slavery in the U.S. was in fact racist."

But, Horn, a three-term lawmaker, further denied racism's role in interviews with the Huffington Post and the New Hampshire Union Leader.

Horn told the Union Leader that people have been enslaving others throughout history, calling the American institution of slavery an "economic reality."

“Slavery later on in the American South was not about the color of the skin of the slaves but their value as workers on the plantations,” Horn told the newspaper. "The U.S. had abolitionists since the start, people who felt slavery wasn’t moral but they weren’t enslaving black people because they were black. They were bringing in these folks because they were available.”

Millions of Africans were kidnapped, then shipped to the U.S. where slave owners forced them to do physical labor and brutally punished those who rebelled. Black people still face discrimination related to the color of their skin, including disproportionate incarceration rates and overdiscipline in schools.

Ray Buckley, the state's Democratic Party chairman, criticized Horn's comments as well as the lack of condemnation from Republican Gov. Chris Sununu.

“Sununu’s silence on Trump’s racism has sanctioned this kind of behavior from his Republican Party and has permitted comments like these with impunity," Buckley said in a statement to the Union Leader. "It’s disgusting."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cs/1773670001/
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Owning slaves doesn't make you racist. Omfg. I think we should add a new amendment. You must pass a basic history test to run for office.
    BITTER likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

University of Pennsylvania? I'm so NOT surprised. They have had more than one racist incident.
    Last edited by BITTER; July 20th, 2019 at 01:05 PM.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I don't know what to call this. They knew what they were doing leading a black man by a rope down the street like he was a stray animal.

Galveston police apologize after photo surfaces of horse-mounted officers leading handcuffed suspect

Julian Gill and Nick Powell | August 6, 2019

Galveston police are apologizing after a dramatic photo circulated online showing horse-mounted officers leading a handcuffed man of color by what appears to be a rope.
    Police issued a press release about the photo on Monday, confirming that horse-mounted officers had "clipped" a "line" to a man's handcuffs after he was arrested Saturday on a criminal trespassing charge.

Galveston Police Chief Vernon Hale also issued a statement Monday in the press release. He apologized to the man, Donald Neely, 43, who had been arrested on a misdemeanor criminal trespassing charge.

"First and foremost I must apologize to Mister Neely for this unnecessary embarrassment," he said in the statement. "Although this is a trained technique and best practice in some scenarios, I believe our officers showed poor judgement in this instance and could have waited for a transport unit at the location of the arrest."

Leon Phillips, president of the Galveston Coalition for Justice, commended the chief for immediately ending the arrest technique but hoped to see the officers disciplined.

"With the climate in the country today, I would hate to see, six months or three years down the road, what kind of judgment these same officers would make in a worse scenario," Phillips said.

Phillips also worried about the lasting impact the photo could have on the city's tourist-heavy economy and questioned why the officers didn't wait on the scene.

"Stay there with him instead of humiliating him," he said. "And now you've humiliated the whole city of Galveston because everybody who sees it is going to have an opinion."

Phillips also said the image reminded him of racist images from the 1920s. He said he didn't know the officers personally, but the optics of the photo was shocking.

"All I know is that these are two white police officers on horseback with a black man walking him down the street with a rope tied to the handcuffs, and that's doesn't make sense, period," he said. "And I do understand this — if it was a white man, I guarantee it wouldn't have happened."

James Douglas, president of Houston's NAACP chapter, also responded to the photo, saying it showed a lack of respect for people of color.

"This is 2019 and not 1819," he said in an email. "I am happy to know that Chief Vernon [Hale] issued an apology and indicated that the act showed poor judgement, but it also shows poor training. Even though the chief indicated that the technique would be discontinued he failed to address the lack of respect demonstrate by the officers in the episode."

The police statement went on to say that the officers, identified only as P. Brosch and A. Smith, did not have malicious intentions during the arrest. Hale said the department has changed the policy to prevent this technique from being used again.

"[We] will review all mounted training and procedures for more appropriate methods," he siaid.

The release said Neely was arrested for criminal trespassing at 306 22nd Street in Galveston. Neely had reportedly been warned against trespassing at that location several times, the release said.

The officers were leading him to 21st and Market about eight blocks away, where the mounted patrol unit was staging. Body cameras were activated at the time, the release said.

Neely is free on bond. He has no listed telephone number and couldn't be reached for comment.

Nick Powell and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Julian Gill is a digital reporter in Houston.

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-tex...f-14282778.php

Just fucking disgusting. I'm sick to death of this shit.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Ffs
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Because calling a squad car to pick him up was just out of the fucking question. They knew what they were doing.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

ugh.

at first glance, i thought that was a scene out of a movie set.

Apparently, he has mental health issues and was well known to those officers. They knew his behaviors and that he wasn't a threat to them or anyone else, but they wanted to lead him through the streets like a dog.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

And compare that to how the El Paso mass shooter was handled.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

The comparison makes me sick. There is NO way they didn't have racist intent by handcuffing a black man and leading him through the streets by horseback.
    mostroop and Kittylady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Because calling a squad car to pick him up was just out of the fucking question. They knew what they were doing.
    Without a doubt & the Police chef is just pissed that they embarrassed the police not that it was completely wrong.

Re
    https://www.phillyvoice.com/amy-wax-...s-immigration/

"In a panel on immigration, University of Pennsylvania law professor Amy Wax claimed that immigrants are too loud and responsible for an increase in 'litter.' She explicitly advocated an immigration policy that would favor immigrants from Western countries over non-Western ones; 'the position,' as she put it, 'that our country will be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites.' (She claims this is not racist because her problem with nonwhite immigrants is cultural rather than biological.)"”

Did she “forget” that the whites in the America’s are the immigrants?

Clue:

HWBL and Kittylady like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Amy Wax is talking out of her arse. By her thinking my home town (98% white according to the census) should be winning awards for being the tidiest and quietest. (Spoiler: it isn't).
    Novice likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information