Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree384Likes

Thread: More open racism in Trump's America

The GOP started this a long time ago, but it still continues today:

Source: Washington Post

Georgia voting rights activists move to block a plan to close two-thirds of polling places in a majority black county

(Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images)

By Vanessa Williams

, Reporter

August 18 at 7:33 PM

Voting rights activists in Georgia say they will launch a petition drive in an effort to collect enough signatures of registered voters to block a proposal to close more than two-thirds of polling precincts in a predominantly black county ahead of this fall’s general election.

The plan to shutter the voting sites in Randolph County, a rural community about 2˝ hours south of Atlanta, has drawn dozens of local residents and progressive groups to two public hearings in recent days. The American Civil Liberties Union filed a formal protest with the county’s board of elections.
    Brian Kemp, Georgia’s secretary of state, which oversees elections operations throughout the state, has issued a statement urging Randolph County officials to “abandon this effort.” Kemp also is the Republican nominee in one of the country’s most-watched gubernatorial contests. The Democratic nominee, Stacey Abrams, a former state legislator, is seeking to become the nation’s first black female governor.
    The two-member county election board – a third member stepped down recently – has scheduled a vote for Friday on the proposal to shutter seven of the county’s nine polling places, citing problems including facilities in disrepair or inaccessible to people with disabilities. But some activists are suspicious of the board’s motives, noting that Randolph County is more than 55 percent black and many residents have low incomes. The county, which covers 431 square miles, has no public transportation system.
    All nine of the polling places were used for the May primaries and less than a month ago for statewide runoffs, in which Kemp, helped by an endorsement from President Trump, beat Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle for the GOP nomination.
    Local news outlets reported heated discussions at meetings on Thursday and Friday, with residents and activists alleging the move was aimed at suppressing turnout in the county, in which more than 55 percent of the voters are black and have backed Democratic candidates in statewide elections.
    County officials and a consultant they hired said the closures were necessary because the sites were not compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act and there was not time to fix them before the Nov. 6 general election. They also suggested that affected residents could vote by absentee ballot.
    “You don’t solve problems of accessibility for people with disabilities by reducing access for people without disabilities,” said Andrea Young, executive director of the Georgia ACLU, which wrote a letter to the board stating that the closures would be a violation of the Voting Rights Act because it would have a negative effect on African American voters. The group noted that African Americans make up more than 96 percent of the voters at one of the polling places slated for closure.
    Unsure whether the board will be persuaded by the arguments for keeping the polling places open, some activists will try to stop the plan by using a state law that forbids the closure of voting sites if 20 percent of the registered voters in the affected precinct object to the change. The county currently has just over 4,000 registered voters.
    Nse Ufot, executive director of the New Georgia Project, a voter registration and education group, said activists will begin collecting signatures Sunday, spreading the word at morning church services.
    “We want to see to it that the hundreds of students we registered at Andrew College and the people we’ve registered in Randolph are able to exercise their sacred, fundamental right to vote,” Ufot said. The goal is to submit the petition before the board’s scheduled Friday vote.
    A similar petition drive overturned a decision two years ago by elections officials in Macon-Bibb County to relocate a polling place from a school to the sheriff’s office.
    “These polling place closures are part of a stark pattern that we are seeing across Georgia whereby officials are working to make it harder for African Americans and other minorities to vote,” said Kristen Clarke, president and executive director for the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. “The more communities mobilize to turn out the vote, the harsher the voter suppression efforts undertaken by officials. We are prepared to use every tool in our arsenal to ensure that African American voters are able to have meaningful access to the polls this election cycle.”
    [Kris Kobach used flawed research to defend Trump’s voter fraud panel, experts say]
    The New Georgia Project was launched several years ago by Abrams to register and mobilize voters, especially voters of color and young people. Abrams no longer has a formal role with the organization.
    Abrams, a former Democratic leader of the Georgia state House, and Kemp had a contentious relationship over the group’s efforts to sign up new voters. She has accused the secretary of state’s office of using illegal and discriminatory tactics to keep tens of thousands of potential voters off the rolls. He has accused the New Georgia Project of trying to add fraudulent voters to rolls. Legal challenges have been filed by both sides.
    But Abrams and Kemp seem to be in agreement that Randolph County officials should not go through with the plan to eliminate the polling places.
    Abrams issued a statement saying, “Every Georgian in every county deserves to have their voice represented at the voting booth and in our government. I am the only candidate in this race with a proven track record of fighting to make sure every Georgian can make their voice heard.”
    Kemp said in a statement: “As soon as we learned about this proposal, we immediately contacted Randolph County to gather more information. Although state law gives localities broad authority in setting precinct boundaries and polling locations, we strongly urged local officials to abandon this effort and focus on preparing for a secure, accessible, and fair election for voters this November.”
    Asked if Kemp has the authority to overrule local elections officials if they go ahead the closures, spokeswoman Candice Broce said via email that “Georgia’s bipartisan State Election Board has authority to adjudicate potential election law violations. Under state law, Kemp serves as Chairman in his capacity as Secretary of State.” She added that the board “can pursue violations of state law and bind local officials over to the Attorney General’s Office for administrative prosecution if, for example, a locality does not follow notice requirements to implement a precinct or polling place proposal.
    Several groups, including the Georgia Democratic Party, Common Cause and the NAACP, have called on Kemp to step down from his position as secretary of state while he runs for governor. They says it is a conflict of interest for him to make decisions about election laws and procedures while he’s seeking the state’s top elected job. Kemp has said he will stay in the office until his term ends in January.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

This, believe it or not, is a WHITE USA EVANGELICAL, who is "spreading the word of Jesus" in Uganda

Source: Blue State Nation

‘You’re Not A Human’: White American Evangelical Trumper Missionary Goes On Racist Rampage On Hotel Workers In Uganda

August 18, 2018

An American evangelical “Christian” missionary was recently arrested in Uganda after trying to spread the “love” of Jesus through racial slurs and violence directed at the African hotel employees.
    Police in the small African country confirmed that they took American Jimmy L. Taylor into custody following a violent racist rampage at his hotel.
    In a video posted to Facebook, Taylor’s seen physically assaulting hotel workers several times while hurling racist slurs at them. He refers to them as the N-word and bitches while preaching about Jesus.
    “You’re not a human,” he said at one point. “F*ck Uganda! I’ve come to love Uganda, I’ve come to help Uganda, but Uganda hates Jesus through this son-of-a-b*tch.”
    “You obey what I say,” Taylor said. “I don’t obey you. You understand me? Open my goddamn room, n*gger b*tch!”
    First off, kudos to the self-restraint the person Taylor attacked showed in not demolishing that asshole, although no one would have blamed him if he did.
    Now a few people might point out that there’s no proof that Taylor’s a Donald Trump supporter and accuse the headline of being misleading. However, I submit that his racist rampage is proof enough that he supports Trump and most likely voted for him. From now on this type of behavior should be synonymous with Trump.
    This incident is just a sample of the hate that’s starting to spill out of America’s borders thanks to Donald Trump and his GOP enablers.
    Day after day we see more stories about entitled bigots making minorities feel less than human, telling them that they are unwelcome in our country. This is not what America’s supposed to be.
    We have to remember what’s at stake in November. People like Taylor will be at the polls, where will you be?

***** celeb

BITTER and Nevan like this.

***** celeb

^^^^fuck them...
    Nevan likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I'm guessing they're counting on voters in those areas not willing to/be able to commute to wherever their "new" polling place will be. Hopefully they are motivated enough to make the trip, or somehow someone organizes mass transportation to take them to vote.

It's a big county, 400+ sq miles.

quoted from HWBL's post above, "The county, which covers 431 square miles, has no public transportation system.
    All nine of the polling places were used for the May primaries and less than a month ago for statewide runoffs, in which Kemp, helped by an endorsement from President Trump, beat Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle for the GOP nomination.

They are claiming that the polling locations are violating ADA. Apparently that didn't matter in elections earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I'm guessing they're counting on voters in those areas not willing to/be able to commute to wherever their "new" polling place will be. Hopefully they are motivated enough to make the trip, or somehow someone organizes mass transportation to take them to vote.
    I would walk if I had to...
    whitetigeress likes this.

***** celeb

The swamp creatures are escaping before the swamp is drained...I hate them all.

yeah, well that's fake news and that bullshit has been floating around for years

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ted-yoho-votes/

A good rule is that if someone posts a picture with words on it, don't believe it unless it's proven.

There's enough real crap without made up shit
    czb and Nevan like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

czb

^^^YES

and the more it gets quoted, the more people are likely to believe it. FAKE news. ugh
    Nevan likes this.

^^^Is it Russian shenanigans again? The trolls love to make up shit to get people agitated.

If people didn't pass on unverified shit, it wouldn't work.
    czb likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

***** celeb

Source: The Hill

County GOP official called NFL players who kneel ‘baboons’

By Morgan Gstalter - 08/31/18 07:43 AM EDT

A county GOP official in Pennsylvania wrote Facebook posts last year that repeatedly called NFL players who kneeled in protest during the national anthem “baboons.”
    Carla Maloney, secretary of the Republican Committee of Beaver County, wrote the posts last year that were reported by the Beaver County Times on Thursday.

Maloney took to her personal Facebook page, under the name Carla Belich Fueller, to vent her frustration about NFL players kneeling during the national anthem to protest racial injustice.
    The Facebook page no longer exists, but county officials confirmed the posts to the paper.
    “Tired of these over paid ignorant blacks telling me what I should believe in. I will tell you what I believe in and that is our Flag the National Anthem and America period end of story,” Maloney wrote. “You don’t like it here go to Africa see how you like it there. We are all Americans not African American not Hispanic American. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN.”

Maloney predicted that a civil war would start “soon[er] than later” and complained about “reverse racism.”
    Her Facebook posts reportedly amplified after the Pittsburg Steelers remained in the locker room during the anthem before their Sept. 24, 2017, game in Chicago, and she reportedly called the players “baboons” multiple times.

“Steelers are now just as bad as the rest of the over paid baboons. You respect your flag, country and our national anthem. How many men and women have lost limbs or died to protect this country and you baboons want respect,” she wrote.
    “If you want respect you need to earn it and so far you haven’t. Stop watching, or going to a game and paying for over priced food, water and tickets. Let’s see how the baboons get paid when white people stop paying their salaries,” she continued.
    Chip Kohser, chairman of the Republican Committee of Beaver County, told the newspaper that the Facebook posts predate Maloney's time as the secretary of the committee.

“Those comments do not reflect the opinions of the Republican Party as a whole,” Kohser said.
    Maloney did not respond to the newspaper's request for comment, and Kohser said he instructed her not to make any public statements.
    He told the Times that while the executive committee could remove Maloney as secretary, they do not have the authority to remove her as an elected committeewoman.

Committee Chairman Chip Kozher told BeaverCountian.com that the posts would be investigated.
    “I will address this with her in the proper manner,” he said. “Obviously that banter is not how I believe and is not how I think the Republican Party as a whole believes. I need to hear her side of the story and investigate it myself. Our Executive Committee would then take whatever action appropriate.”
    President Trump frequently attacks NFL players who kneel, claiming earlier this month that they “wanted to show their ‘outrage’ at something that most of them are unable to define.”

Trump also has called for protesting players to be suspended without pay.
    Maloney, an avid Trump supporter, appeared on CNN’s “The Van Jones Show” last month to discuss immigration.
    She identified herself as a Trump supporter and not a county committee officer.
    Maloney said during the discussion that Americans should care for other Americans first, before worrying about undocumented immigrants.
    “What about the black community that has one father or one mother?” she asked, according to the newspaper.

Source: The Root.com

Pennsylvania GOP Official Resigns After Calling Protesting NFL Players 'Baboons' and 'Ignorant Blacks' on Facebook

Terrell Jermaine Starr Today 9:30am
    In this Nov. 26, 2017, file photo, Seattle Seahawks players sit and kneel during the playing of the national anthem before an NFL football game against the San Francisco 49ers, in Santa Clara, Calif.
    Photo: AP Photo/Don Feria, File

A Republican official in Pennsylvania was forced to resign her post on Friday after it was revealed that she’d written Facebook posts in which she referred to NFL players protesting police brutality during the national anthem as “baboons,” according to The Beaver County Times.Carla Maloney, the Republican Committee of Beaver County’s secretary, wrote the comments on her personal Facebook page under the name Carla Belich Fueller.

The posts have since been removed and Maloney’s Facebook page seems to have been deleted, but here is a summary of what she said, per The Beaver County Times:

“Tired of these over paid ignorant blacks telling me what I should believe in. I will tell you what I believe in and that is our Flag the National Anthem and America period end of story,” she wrote. “You don’t like it here go to Africa see how you like it there. We are all Americans not African American not Hispanic American. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN.”

Maloney then complained about “reverse racism” in America and said she was “sick of the name calling, rioting, shooting, and looting.” She predicted a civil war “soon than later.”

Further in the thread, Maloney turned her anger toward the Steelers and her racist language grew even harsher.

“Steelers are now just as bad as the rest of the over paid baboons. You respect your flag, country and our national anthem. How many men and women have lost limbs or died to protect this country and you baboons want respect,” she wrote. “If you want respect you need to earn it and so far you haven’t. Stop watching, or going to a game and paying for over priced food, water and tickets. Let’s see how the baboons get paid when white people stop paying their salaries.”

RCBC Chairman Chip Kohser said Maloney wrote the post prior to being named secretary earlier this year. He believes she posted the racist remarks after many players from the Pittsburgh Steelers remained in the locker room for the national anthem before their Sept. 24 game in Chicago last year.

In her resignation letter (pdf) to Kohser, Maloney said her words were “inappropriate, distasteful and insensitive” and that “those who know me know that I come from a diverse family that represents modern America.”

OK, ma’am. Whatever you say.

***** celeb

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information