Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missouri lawmaker on child hunger: ‘Hunger can be a positive motivator.’

I found this lovely piece of literature on her website:

How to Treat Missouri Women Better

• Did you know that, according to one study, 64 percent of the women who had abortions felt pressured to have one? Even more, 84 percent said they were not fully informed of other choices?
    • Did you know that the leading cause of death in pregnant women is homicide? This is reprehensible and needs to be stopped. (Click here for citations.)

This week, we began floor debate on a bill I sponsored, now titled “HB46 and HB434.” This bill allows our Missouri women in difficult pregnancies to be treated with more respect and safeguards than those in any other state. As the sponsor of this bill, I am happy to report to you that we are making a difference. This bill addresses two root problems that cause women to feel it necessary to have abortions, and it will save lives by:
    • Offering women more information before an abortion, and
    • Creating a higher level of crime for those who force women to get an abortion.

Pregnant women considering abortion need the support of our state laws so that they can feel adequately protected. I normally support fewer laws, but in this case, it is the job of government to look after the public safety, health and welfare of our most vulnerable citizens. If our women are getting abortions because they didn’t know they had other choices, that is no choice at all. Women deserve better than just being ushered into the operating room for something that can be devastating for the rest of their lives. Many of those who claim to be “pro-choice” are only pro-choice when the choice is for an abortion.

Financial issues can interfere with a free and open choice, such as:
    • Some women considering abortion don’t know how they can pay their medical bills or buy diapers, especially if they are threatened with losing their jobs, Unwed fathers may be squirming out of their obligation to pay child support for the next 18 years, and
    • The abortion clinic needs business to justify their services.

These issues create a conflict of interest that can tip the scales toward the death of the baby. On the other hand, this bill allows the mother to be informed that:
    • It is unlawful for anyone to threaten her with “an abortion or else…,” The father has financial obligations he must fulfill legally, and
    • Organizations are out there that are ready, willing and able to help if her family has abandoned her.

Quite frankly, I am amazed that anyone would want to vote against this bill. How do you argue against letting women know more about what help is available? How do you argue that others should be able to arm-twist and bully a pregnant woman into a choice she didn’t make?

The men opposing this bill don’t understand what it feels like to be a woman who is desperate, is in trouble and does not know where to turn for help. The women who oppose my bill do not understand how we can help each other. We need to have more compassion for our less fortunate sisters. We need to support each other. We need to work together for a less violent society - one that honors other women and respects their choices to give birth even if they made poor choices in the past. Everyone in favor of giving women more choices and less arm-twisting should be in favor of this bill. Our women deserve better.

http://www.cynthiadavis.net/PDFs/cpr090305.htm

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    So poor people should have their kids taken away from them to keep them from reproducing? You act as if ALL of the people who have kids that get the free lunch are sitting on their asses not working and collecting a welfare check. There are plenty of poor people who work, but they still need assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post

And even those people who are poor and collecting a welfare check shouldn't have their kids taken away.

Those are the very people who should be getting assistance and I don't mind paying for it one litle bit. Unfortunately people are penalized for trying to help themselves often. But I stand by my assertion that there are too many people who just have kids regardless of their situation just because they want to and they figure it's up to the rest of us to meet their needs. And I come from seriously poor folks who always worked and did their best and unfortunately would never have accepted government assistance even when they really needed it. It is a way of life for some people and they don't see anything wrong with that.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

Those are the very people who should be getting assistance and I don't mind paying for it one litle bit. Unfortunately people are penalized for trying to help themselves often. But I stand by my assertion that there are too many people who just have kids regardless of their situation just because they want to and they figure it's up to the rest of us to meet their needs. And I come from seriously poor folks who always worked and did their best and unfortunately would never have accepted government assistance even when they really needed it. It is a way of life for some people and they don't see anything wrong with that.
    I agree that there are too many people out there having kids that they can't afford. But the solution to that problem isn't taking their kids away. That's not going to stop people from reproducing, and it just clogs the child services system up.

And I also agree that there are too many people who would rather just sit on their asses and collect a check instead of working. But the solution to that problem is to change the system itself, not to take their kids. Because in too many places the system is set up for people to just milk welfare, instead of using it as a temporary solution.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

but again, the solution isn't to traumatise the children just to punish the parents. do you know what it's like for a kid to be taken from its family? put into state custody? you want to do that to a kid who's not being abused and whose parents haven't done anything to harm it, just to punish the parents for being lazy/jobless/poor and breeding when they couldn't afford to?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes, there are people who keep producing offspring they can not afford, but there are many who were in different situations when the child(ren) was/were born and then circumstances happened.

Now that I am older I have seen how one day can send people from rags to riches.

This bill addresses two root problems that cause women to feel it necessary to have abortions, and it will save lives by:
    • Offering women more information before an abortion, and
    • Creating a higher level of crime for those who force women to get an abortion.

I know many women who have had abortions & neither of the above was the reason. This woman is about as dense as they get. She doesn't want women to have abortions BUT she doesn't want to feed all of these unplanned children, either. Her stupidity shines bright.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Those I know who had abortion knew all their options and were dead set against them and no one forced them into doing it. If anything, even when the father's begged, the pleas fell on deaf ears.

Elite Member

Default re

I am sure there are some cases where men 'force' women into having an abortion, but far more where they refuse emotional and/or financial support and abortion seems like the best option to the woman. What's she going to do about that?

In any case, she's a dumb bitch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information