Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millionaires Collecting Unemployment?

^^^
    i don't know about the US but in my experience, you start off with a net salary but what you receive is less because deductions are made for unemployment insurance, pension plan, etc... and, when i was working for the UN, they covered my health insurance so there was also a deduction made for that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I agree with everyone saying that a person has a right to collect if they lose their job regardless of their previous income.

Otherwise, who decides who gets what? Everyone pays in but only those making XX can take out? What if you own a home? Should you be forced to sell it and use that $ before being qualified? Sales from a house can buy a lot of milk. Or maybe you shouldn't be allowed to draw if you have a nice engagement ring that could pay the electric bill for a year?

Keep it simple means keep it fair.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    But it doesn't come out of your paycheck, does it? You're saying that they just offer you a lower salary from the beginning to cover their costs?

Ugh yeah, exactly. If you make $50k then you're probably worth about $60k after they calculate what they have to pay for you in taxes and insurance. Any way you slice it, YOU worked for that money. Period.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm sure Twitchy has a good "Why is life so complicated?" image to insert here.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'll probably get flamed but i don't have a problem with this. in fact, a friend of mine's husband, who had a very good banking job in europe, lost his job when his bank was sold. he was making very good money (not millions but definitely in the hundreds of thousands) and when he lost his job, he started collecting unemployment. it's his right. he paid into it for years, why shouldn't he be entitled to the same protection as someone who made less money?
    and no, i'm not some right-wing nutjob. i believe in taxes, high taxes, and in high-income people paying more than others. but that doesn't mean that if they lose their jobs they don't get to enjoy the same benefits as anyone else.
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Are they taking it because they need it or just because it is there and they can? I wouldn't necessarily have a problem if they actually needed it. There are people out there who really need the help, and there isn't going to be money left in the unemployment funds if they are used to fluff up non-working millionaire bank accounts.
    Sure there is, since the amount the millionaires withdrew amounted to a whopping 0.012% of the total unemployment drawn in 2008 (per the article). They're not the problem.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I agree that if you lose your job through no fault of your own, you're entitled to collect your unemployment benefits. What income would be the cut off point? It just is what it is.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

So, if Bill Gates suddenly got canned by Microsoft, nobody would have a problem with him collecting unemployment?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^^^
    given that over the years he's probably contributed eleventy million times what he'd ever get back, no, i can't say i would give a shit. and it doesn't change the fact that he's got as much of a right to it as anyone else because, as was said earlier, it's not a charity, it's not a favour the state does for the less fortunate, it's a right, a benefit to which one is entitled by virtue of having been employed and contributed to the fund with one's earnings and taxes.
    just like i don't mind that he uses the sidewalk and drives on roads that are maintained with public funds, etc.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

He's not an employee so he's not entitled. **rolls eyes**
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I personally find this reprehensible. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. A millionaire collecting unemployment - while so many others in this country go without? What a fucking crock. We really are morally and ethically bankrupt.
    Couldn't say it better myself.

How much money does a person need? If you're a millionaire, and you can live more than comfortably, you should be taking nothing from nowhere, especially when the economy is terrible and people are suffering. It's incredibly selfish, no if, buts or maybe's. It's my right to speak freely - i can go outside and call someone an arsehole but that doesn't mean it isn't morally reprehensible.

Infact, I know a wealthy woman who has deceitfully arranged things (hiding money) so she can collect a pension and live off the government, keeping her funds in a separate basket - untouched. Lousy cunt. Rich people collecting money they don't need is always going to stink in my book. But i don't expect people who don't consider the world around them to care.

And it isn't unheard of for wealthy parents who send their kids to public schools to give donations, pay for uniforms, etc. Because they aren't going to miss the money, realize funds have gotta come from somewhere, and have that heart thing that 95% of the world appears to be losing. Or it's completely gone.
    Last edited by DitaPage*; October 6th, 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Anyone know the max monthly payment for unemployment? I have a friend who is collecting and he told me the max anyone is eligible for is $1,600 per month.

^^ It varies from State to State.

Count me as one who feels if you (or your employer) paid into the system, and you meet the eligibility requirements, you are entitled to collect.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    Anyone know the max monthly payment for unemployment? I have a friend who is collecting and he told me the max anyone is eligible for is $1,600 per month.
    I live in Pa and when my husband was laid off about 9 years ago, that's what he was allowed. I believe (and I'm by no means an expert) that you are allowed 2/3 your salary....but you max out at a certain number. I know someone who is laid off now, and they said the max was $500/week, so I guess they upped it a bit in the last 9 years. You also have to pay Federal taxes on that (not state). You can choose to have the amount taken out of each paycheck, or when you file your returns at year end. So if my husband and Bill Gates were laid off, and they both worked in the state of Pa, they would make the same amount.

They paid in so they deserve to collect. I am sick and tired of people making comments about the wealthy and how they should use their money. I laugh when I see people question "how much is enough?" and insinuating that they don't care about the rest of the world. You don't know shit about these people. You have no idea how much they do or do not donate even though they have no obligation to donate anything at all. It is their money and it is none of your business. It is not their responsibility to give more because you can't. Go get a better job. Make more money yourself if that is so damned important to you. The wealthy already pay much more in taxes for services that benefit all of us. They are not responsible for making your life better. YOU ARE!
    Last edited by sluce; October 6th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^^ It varies from State to State.

Count me as one who feels if you (or your employer) paid into the system, and you meet the eligibility requirements, you are entitled to collect.
    In AZ, the max amount is $240 a week...fucking laughable if it weren't true. I really wish I had been laid off in a state that DIDN'T run itself like a 3rd world country. Good thing I had a bit of savings and my whole retirement money to blow through.

It doesn't matter how much you have in the bank, you are ENTITLED to unemployment bene's if your employer paid in.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information