Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Midnight grocery runs capture economic desperation

  1. #16
    Elite Member Mr. Authority's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Royal Oak,MI
    Posts
    4,631

    Default

    True, not everyone can cook, especially a healthy meal. If someone doesn't know how to cook for themselves, how can you expect them to know the basics cost the same as a meal at Mickey D's?

    Admittedly, I do think some pre-packaged stuff is cheaper than veggies or fruits; but with packages getting smaller (I know the bags of french fries in the freezer section at the nearest store has gotten smaller with less fries in it) it may not be such a good deal after all.

  2. #17
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    24,267

    Default

    Maybe the money should be deposited twice a month, that way the cupboards aren't bare by the end of the month. There are plenty of things you can make to stretch a buck. Casserole, bakes, stews, pastas, etc. May not be as healthy as fresh lean meats and veggies, but it's better than a lot of other things. I'm surprised at how expensive "staple" items can be. Bread is ridiculous. A loaf of whole wheat is just about $4 and the name brand white breads are about the same. Crazy.

  3. #18
    Gold Member eboni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    927

    Default

    @Constance, agree that you do have a point. I was just thinking that that might be the case for some.

    My mom did the same thing (prepared dinner ahead of time) and then I had to come home from school and heat it up for everyone.

    One of the things I noticed when visiting down south is that lots of convenience foods are consumed. Louisiana is known for its excellent cooking. Every man woman and child can cook in my family. Now I see so many homemade dishes that use packaged alternatives that are heavy on salt, sugar and that evil corn syrup. All I could do was shake my head. So it seems convenience is more important than nutrition. And let's not talk about how much drive-thrus are used. It made me sad. I'm in Louisiana, I don't want Mickey D's for breakfast or want it period. I don't even eat it in Calif.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

  4. #19
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    @Constance, agree that you do have a point. I was just thinking that that might be the case for some.

    My mom did the same thing (prepared dinner ahead of time) and then I had to come home from school and heat it up for everyone.

    One of the things I noticed when visiting down south is that lots of convenience foods are consumed. Louisiana is known for its excellent cooking. Every man woman and child can cook in my family. Now I see so many homemade dishes that use packaged alternatives that are heavy on salt, sugar and that evil corn syrup. All I could do was shake my head. So it seems convenience is more important than nutrition. And let's not talk about how much drive-thrus are used. It made me sad. I'm in Louisiana, I don't want Mickey D's for breakfast or want it period. I don't even eat it in Calif.
    OMG! I about died when I saw a "roux" in a fucking jar at the grocery store! no self-respecting coonass would ever be caught dead with something like that in their house!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

  5. #20
    Gold Member eboni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    OMG! I about died when I saw a "roux" in a fucking jar at the grocery store! no self-respecting coonass would ever be caught dead with something like that in their house!
    Isn't that the truth! I could not believe my eyes when I saw that. It takes longer to go to the store to buy it than it does to make it!
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

  6. #21
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    OMG! I about died when I saw a "roux" in a fucking jar at the grocery store! no self-respecting coonass would ever be caught dead with something like that in their house!
    Imagine what it would taste like! Brown glue.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  7. #22
    Elite Member NoNoRehab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    LYNWOOD JAIL
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    I love to cook but the truth is that "convenience foods" as well as lower quality foods are still cheaper. For example, I love asparagus, organic milk, organic eggs, etc. But I can't afford it so hello, cheap Walmart brand milk and shitty eggs. When I had food stamps, I really wished it paid for salad items from the grocery store's salad bar.

    Pasta is cheap and good and quick but it gets boring after awhile. If people really wanted a food revolution than organic milk would be a dollar a gallon instead of generic soda, and a huge bag of asparagus would be $2.50 instead of Doritos. (Food stamps don't buy fast food, liquor, cigarettes, etc.) But then teachers would also be millionaires instead of actors. That's America for ya.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

  8. #23
    Elite Member louiswinthorpe111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    14,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    I think part of the problem is that some people were latch-key kids who may have taken care of their younger siblings. Convenience foods were probably left for them to eat and no one took the time to teach how to prepare foods. It was just easier to open boxes or stick something in the microwave or leave money for Mickey D's or Jack. These kids grew up without really knowing how to cook or hold nutrition in regard. Just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    ^^ I was a latch key kid, but my mother cooked in the evening, and we all got up early in the morning and had breakfast together. My son was a latch key kid, but I did the same as my mother, cooked at night and on weekends, and made breakfast every morning. He and his wife, however, just subsist on fast food and ready-made crap, even though she only works part-time. I've offered recipes, advice, brought groceries over, didn't work. Some people just don't want to take the time to cook, and have no interest in good nutrition.
    Ok, this is one of many things that irritate me about my SIL. Decent meals do not cost a lot of money and most recipes do not require a lot of ingredients. Feeds her kids fast food and Hamburger Helper. Shitty processed food out of boxes.

    When we have family birthday parties for my kids, we generally grill out and I make all the food. Pasta salad, baked beans, homemade mac and cheese, some sort of cheesey potato, fruit salad, plus veggies and chips to snack on, with cake and ice cream for dessert. None of it was difficult to prepare, I probably spent more time cleaning my house than getting all that food prepared. Know what she let her kids eat? Doritos and cool whip. WTF? And her and my BIL both make 100K+ combined. She doesn't clean her house, either. I mean, there's a time when I've been lax on cleaning, say 3-4 weeks max, and my house has NEVER been that bad. We were there last Friday and I didn't want to take my shoes off. I don't think anyone had vacummed the stairs in at least 2 months, they were covered in pet hair. I couldn't figure out where to change the baby's diaper where he wouldn't be covered in pet hair. Being a latch key kid is no excuse, because I was one too.

    Wow. That was some venting!!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

  9. #24
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I love to cook but the truth is that "convenience foods" as well as lower quality foods are still cheaper. For example, I love asparagus, organic milk, organic eggs, etc. But I can't afford it so hello, cheap Walmart brand milk and shitty eggs. When I had food stamps, I really wished it paid for salad items from the grocery store's salad bar.

    Pasta is cheap and good and quick but it gets boring after awhile. If people really wanted a food revolution than organic milk would be a dollar a gallon instead of generic soda, and a huge bag of asparagus would be $2.50 instead of Doritos. (Food stamps don't buy fast food, liquor, cigarettes, etc.) But then teachers would also be millionaires instead of actors. That's America for ya.
    Hang on, there is a happy medium between expensive organic asparagus and cheapo Walmart crap.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  10. #25
    Super Moderator Tati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Your Pocket
    Posts
    18,329

    Default

    ^ Agree. Plus, cheap WalMart milk and eggs is already a middle ground between fresh organic stuff and complete junk - chips and pop and cookies. Sure, Doritos might be $2.50, but a bag of pasta is about 99 cents...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

    - Kahlil Gibran

  11. #26
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,809

    Default

    The local Krogers is great with my beloved Manager's Specials-red tagged items marked WAY down as they are at/near the sell by date. You can save 30, 40, up to 75 or 80 percent on alot of basics-meats, fish, bakery goods(including breads and cereals). Also on some veggies and fruits. And the deli area has alot of stuff too.

    Alot of this stuff can be frozen immediately and will be fine for later use.

    This along with cheap staples like rice, beans, etc. can really cut down on the grocery $$$$.

    The other day I got at least 50 bucks worth of things for about 20 bucks, and that was just with the manager specials.

    You do have to be a bit flexible and be ready to adjust to eating/planning meals around what they are getting rid of though.

  12. #27
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,675

    Default

    I agree with Soj - there are some real bargains out there if you know where to look and use some imagination in finding 1001 ways to enjoy rice! Pumpkin is in season at the moment and super cheap. It's not my favourite veggie I admit (and making it into a sweet dessert is pure masochism IMO) but it's great for bulking out stews, soups and curries. It freezes well too.

    Also, if you have the space for one get a chest freezer. I got one second hand for about $75 and it's in the garage). You can store months and months worth of stuff in there.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  13. #28
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I agree with Soj - there are some real bargains out there if you know where to look and use some imagination in finding 1001 ways to enjoy rice! Pumpkin is in season at the moment and super cheap. It's not my favourite veggie I admit (and making it into a sweet dessert is pure masochism IMO) but it's great for bulking out stews, soups and curries. It freezes well too.

    Also, if you have the space for one get a chest freezer. I got one second hand for about $75 and it's in the garage). You can store months and months worth of stuff in there.
    Right now I am eating a Kroger Deli Rotisserie chicken that normally is $4.99. I got if for $2.00.

    And I wish I had never given away to the neighbors that chest freezer that I had. I should have found room for it. *sigh*.

  14. #29
    Gold Member eboni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    If people really wanted a food revolution than organic milk would be a dollar a gallon instead of generic soda, and a huge bag of asparagus would be $2.50 instead of Doritos. (Food stamps don't buy fast food, liquor, cigarettes, etc.) But then teachers would also be millionaires instead of actors. That's America for ya.
    NoNo, your post reminded me of a time that I'd long forgotten. IT was that way a while back, a least where I was raised. Sodas were totally a luxury and pricier than a loaf of bread. So were candy and other snack foods. In the late 50s, I think bread was 25 cents and sodas were 50 cents.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

  15. #30
    Gold Member BigBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Yeah, wouldn't that be great? If healthier food was cheaper, I know people would be more likely to eat it. They'd have to salt and butter the shit out of it nowadays, but hey, that stuff is cheap too!
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: September 18th, 2008, 02:06 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: September 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM
  3. Replies: 59
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
  4. When cowards attack: GOP smear of Murtha shows desperation
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM
  5. Bush's desperation apparent and flailing.
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •