Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michelle Obama helps out at a soup kitchen

Soup kitchen dude with a camera cell-phone, mushroom risotto---homelessness sure ain't what it used to be....
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Is that a microphone she's wearing? Was this filmed for a Public Service Announcement or something?
    It could be part of her security detail?

Conservatives angry over Michelle Obama's trip to homeless shelter

It seems Michelle Obama can't even do a good deed without inspiring some outrage on the right.

The first lady visited a Washington, D.C., homeless shelter on Thursday, bringing fruit collected in a White House food drive and serving some of the shelter's clients. That alone isn't objectionable, of course. But some conservatives -- sparked by a blog post from the Los Angeles Times' Andrew Malcom -- are in a tizzy over an Associated Press photo that shows a man taking a picture of Obama using a cellphone.

"It doesn't detract from the first lady's generous gesture or the real needs she seeks to highlight to ask two bothersome journalistic questions about these news photos," Malcom wrote, continuing:

If this unidentified meal recipient is too poor to buy his own food, how does he afford a cellphone?

And if he is homeless, where do they send the cellphone bills?

Conservative blogger Michelle Malkin was one of those who joined the resulting scrum, writing that the photo "ruin[ed] what was supposed to be a sob story photo op of the compassionate Mrs. O catering to the downtrodden." She, in turn, linked to another blogger, Kathy Shaidle. Shaidle -- who is, to put it politely, not a particularly nice person -- wrote:

Today's "poor" are the rich Jesus warned you about: fat, slovenly, wasteful of their money and other people's...

He spends all his (our) money on cellphones and, most likely, tattoos and drugs and booze and other crap, and has no money left for a home and food. And why should he bother? We pay for his shelter and food anyhow...

What's really funny in that news story by the way is what they're serving at the soup kitchen: risotto with brocolli. Obviously some rich white liberal did the cooking that day, feeling all proud of herself, and what thanks did she get? Some lowclass loser going, "You expect me to eat this weird crap?!"

(For the record, it was actually mushroom risotto. And her nasty "weird crap" remark? It's rice cooked in chicken stock with some vegetables, something most cultures are quite familiar with, no matter what you choose to call it. Come on.)

At the Corner, one of the National Review's blogs, Kathryn Jean Lopez chimed in as well, saying, "America has the wealthiest poor people in the world" and claiming the photo illustrated that. She added, "I don't envy this man's situation, whatever it is, and don't mean to make light of it. But we are a blessed people when our poor have cell phones."

A couple key points here: First, as far as I can tell, none of these people even know whether the man in the photo is homeless. True, he was at the shelter and he appears to be standing in line, but that was, after all, the best vantage point for taking that photo. He could just as easily have been a volunteer at the shelter or a completely unrelated person who'd heard Obama was there, and no one complaining about the photo can prove otherwise, I don't think.

The only information we really have to go on is the original AP caption for the picture, which reads only, "First lady Michelle Obama, right, stops to have her photo taken as she helps to hand out meals during her visit to Miriam's Kitchen in Washington, Thursday, March 5, 2009. The center provides meals, case management services and housing support to nearly 250 men and women in Washington."

I've checked the pool report from the event, and there's nothing in there about the man either. I e-mailed the Times' Malcolm to ask why he assumed the man in question was homeless, but haven't yet heard back. If I do, I'll update this post.

Also, as Malkin herself acknowledged in her post, there's a very valid reason for a homeless person to have a cellphone -- how else can they get a job? Potential employers need to be able to call you when you apply for a job. (Malkin snarks, "The liberalsí argument is that they need cell phones to get jobs. Do they need Blackberry (sic) Pearls?!" But again, I'm not sure how she knows the make of the phone.)

Plus, as some indignant conservatives, like Shaidle, have pointed out, there are government programs that help people below the poverty line acquire cellphones for that very purpose.

Finally, regarding Malcolm's question, "And if he is homeless, where do they send the cellphone bills?" which Lopez asked as well: There are lots of pre-paid phone plans out there. Does no one watch "The Wire" anymore?

Update: Shaidle has responded to this post with what I can immediately say is one of my favorite things ever written about me:

Salon's Alex Koppelman is obviously a delusional liberal pantywaist who can't stand to have his romantic notions about "poverty" challenged (by someone who knows what they're talking about firsthand, and is also a better writer than he is.)

I'd rather be right than "nice" and "polite" -- and so would any intelligent adult who values the truth.

I'm betting Alex Koppelman is a grown man who still rides a bicycle. By choice. On the sidewalk.

I'm thrilled. That line is going to look SO great on my next book jacket.

For purposes of full disclosure, I feel I should note that I haven't owned a bike since mine was stolen in college, and when I did, I didn't ride it on the sidewalk. The rest is all true, of course.
    ― Alex Koppelman
    Conservatives angry over Michelle Obama's trip to homeless shelter - War Room - Salon.com

Jesus warned you about: fat, slovenly, wasteful of their money and other people's...
    HeHe...Malkin was talking about Rushie!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

You're right, he is slovenly. His XXXXXXL polo shirts always look like he's been sleeping in them in addition to acting as napkins when he's at the trough. Maybe he can't fit into pants anymore and just wears them as muumuus.

Who's to say that cell phone guy wasn't a volunteer at the kitchen.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's on the other side of her, where the homeless get their food.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

But how many charity cell phone drives do we see out there? I know a lot of places collect old cell phones to give out to people in need, as they can help women escape from abusive partners, or provide people with a contact number so they can job-hunt. A cheap Pay-as-you-go cell phone can be an excellent investment for someone to make if they're trying to secure a job or if they are a parent who might need to be reached in an emergency.

A lot of people who frequent soup kitchens or food banks aren't actually homeless, nor do the agencies require them to be. A lot of working poor, students and young families utilize them to help take the edge off. We have a food bank on our university campus for students and their families, I guess one could argue that if they can afford tuition and textbooks, they can afford to buy food? But it's just something to help them out - we're starting up a campus community garden for the same reason.
    Last edited by Tati; March 7th, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Elite Member

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's on the other side of her, where the homeless get their food.
    That's true, but if you wanted a picture of Michelle O. serving the homeless, whether you were homeless or worked there, you would probably take a picture from that vantage.

With that said, who knows. I hate it when conservatives talk about class warfare (ie, against the wealthy) because they wage constant war on the working class, the poor, and the working poor. This is but one more example. (BTW, to clarify, I'm not talking about you, Sparkly, I'm talking about that stuff quoted above.)

Also, you know, if you are homeless, you are not going to have a landline. You might have a prepaid cell phone so that you can stay in touch despite being homeless.

And as Tati said, a customer of a soup kitchen or food bank is not necessarily homeless.

I hope Michelle O. is a strong, resilient person who can take the bullshit. I imagine she can.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^You and Tati make some very valid points. I had never thought of it that way before, but it makes perfect sense. I just questioned it cuz his phone looks nicer than mine.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

only conservatives would find helping out at a homeless shelter to be a negative thing.

Jesus wept indeed.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    But how many charity cell phone drives do we see out there? I know a lot of places collect old cell phones to give out to people in need, as they can help women escape from abusive partners, or provide people with a contact number so they can job-hunt. A cheap Pay-as-you-go cell phone can be an excellent investment for someone to make if they're trying to secure a job or if they are a parent who might need to be reached in an emergency.

A lot of people who frequent soup kitchens or food banks aren't actually homeless, nor do the agencies require them to be. A lot of working poor, students and young families utilize them to help take the edge off. We have a food bank on our university campus for students and their families, I guess one could argue that if they can afford tuition and textbooks, they can afford to buy food? But it's just something to help them out - we're starting up a campus community garden for the same reason.
    Exactly. A lot of the homeless shelters and food pantries are catering to people who are hungry and having a hard time making ends meet. Not just to the homeless.

And some people will pay to keep their cellphones on before they pay for more important things like food. It's dumb, but that's life. The fact that people are making such a big deal about a guy with a cellphone at a homeless shelter is ridiculous.

SVZ

She should be wearing a hair net

that would ruin her helmet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information