Page 233 of 238 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 3570
Like Tree11582Likes

Thread: The Manchurine candidate - Trump rule past 100 days

witchcurlgirl and panic like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Ah, just feels like 46%
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

46% of Hair Furor’s Twitter followers are bots.
    Brookie likes this.

Elite Member

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he has been able to convince people that the most reliable sources of news in the US are fake. Unreal.

Georgia State Rep. Betty Price – spouse of former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, who recently left his role in Donald Trump’s administration after taking a few too many taxpayer-funded charter flights – casually asked a state epidemiologist whether it would be more cost-effective to just force HIV-positive people into quarantine.

Per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Price’s phrasing left open the possibility she’s not thrilled HIV-positive people are not dying “more readily,” at which point they would pose less of a risk.

“And I don’t want to say the quarantine word, but I guess I just said it,” Price asked Georgia state Department of Public Health HIV epidemiology chief Dr. Pascale Wortley at a study committee meeting this week. “Is there an ability, since I would guess that public dollars are expended heavily in prophylaxis and treatment of this condition?”

“So we have a public interest in curtailing the spread,” Price continued. “What would you advise or are there any methods legally that we could do that would curtail the spread?”

Not one to slow down, Price added, “It seems to me it’s almost frightening, the number of people who are living that are potentially carriers. Well they are carriers, with the potential to spread, whereas in the past they died more readily and then at that point they are not posing a risk. So we’ve got a huge population posing a risk if they are not in treatment.”

Wortley, who had just explained HIV treatments as well as routine medical care remain out of reach for many Georgians, responded that the state was already attempting to track the spread of the virus and get more people into care. The AJC reported Georgia has the second-highest rate of HIV infection in the US at 28.3 per 100,000 population in 2015, and just half are virally suppressed.

Aside from the obvious moral implications—Price was more or less suggesting rounding up the disproportionately LGBTQ HIV-positive population—there’s also the fact that this awful solution would never work. Quarantines are only advised for diseases that can be easily identified, progress quickly and are contagious enough via transmission methods like casual physical contact or the air to pose a risk to the general public, none of which really apply to HIV.

Both of the Prices are physicians, and should presumably be aware of this.

The history of epidemiology is also littered with quarantine horror stories, and fears that authorities could use quarantines as a pretext to put LGBTQ people in camps are still relevant today.

Tom Price’s selection as HHS secretary drew alarm from progressive groups, which pointed out his noxious record on gay rights is staunchly conservative, and that his efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and limit coverage of reproductive health services could harm LGBTQ communities and reduce access to HIV treatment.

“We need to emphasize that in this day and age, quarantining is not a useful strategy to control HIV,” Emory Center for AIDS Research co-director Dr. Carlos del Rio told STAT, adding he believed Price’s intent was misinformed rather than malicious.

“We need to get public health [workers] to find people, get them into care, keep them in care, and keep them virally suppressed,” he added. “If we can keep them virally suppressed, we can stop the epidemic.”

“When we come into spaces like this and we hear questions around how legally far can we go to isolate people or even quarantine people, then it just lets you know that we have a real uphill battle,” SisterLove executive director Dazon Dixon Diallo told Project Q Atlanta.

In a response released to the AJC, Price seemingly did not apologize and said her remarks were taken out of context:

“I made a provocative and rhetorical comment as part of a free-flowing conversation which has been taken completely out of context. I do not support a quarantine in this public health challenge and dilemma of undertreated HIV patients. I do, however, wish to light a fire under all of us with responsibility in the public health arena - a fire that will result in resolve and commitment to ensure that all of our fellow citizens with HIV will receive, and adhere to, a treatment regimen that will enhance their quality of life and protect the health of the public.

Gizmodo has reached out to Price’s office for comment, and we’ll update this article if we hear back.

https://gizmodo.com/georgia-rep-bett...-ju-1819740820

Elite Member

^Seriously? This woman has a few screws loose. Maybe we should have them wear big + signs on their chest so we can identify them or armbands. Nothing wrong with "branding" people, right? It would be easier to round them up if they were easily identifiable.

I hate every single person affiliated with this administration. They are the epitome of evil.

Daniel Dale

@ddale8

So Trump starts with a lie: that Rasmussen had his approval rating at 46% or 47% that day. He was actually at 41% that day. 3/

Daniel Dale

@ddale8

Then Trump adds a second lie: that 47%, an approval rating he does not have, is an approval rating that makes re-election guaranteed. 4/

Daniel Dale

@ddale8

He is not content with that. He must boast about his superiority to Obama. And this is where he loses control of his own nonsense.

Daniel Dale

In fact, Obama left with a much higher approval rating than Trump's imaginary 47%: Obama had 62% final approval in Rasmussen. 7/
    C_is_for_Cookie and Mivvi21 like this.

"But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Elite Member
    Beeyotch, mostroop, Janus and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post

Daniel Dale

@ddale8

So Trump starts with a lie: that Rasmussen had his approval rating at 46% or 47% that day. He was actually at 41% that day. 3/

Daniel Dale

@ddale8

Then Trump adds a second lie: that 47%, an approval rating he does not have, is an approval rating that makes re-election guaranteed. 4/

Daniel Dale

@ddale8

He is not content with that. He must boast about his superiority to Obama. And this is where he loses control of his own nonsense.

Daniel Dale

In fact, Obama left with a much higher approval rating than Trump's imaginary 47%: Obama had 62% final approval in Rasmussen. 7/
    Doesn't matter, His base will believe him no matter what. He could wear a green shirt and say it's red and his base would say RED. You cannot reason with them. ONLY 24% of the tweets are bots, that means the rest are REAL idiots.

Trump lied about Senator Corker again and Corker responded.

Same untruths from an utterly untruthful president. #AlertTheDaycareStaff

New Twitter hashtag: #AlertTheDayCareCenter
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Jeff Flake just announced he won't run again. He's speaking now from the Senate floor

Trump should start attacking him any second

Eta- this is fucking amazing. "Mr. President, I rise to say enough..." Trump is going to go batshit.

This speech is going to be huge. Twitter is already going bananas, and he's still speaking
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; October 24th, 2017 at 03:19 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Jeff Flake just announced he won't run again. He's speaking now from the Senate floor

Trump should start attacking him any second

Eta- this is fucking amazing. "Mr. President, I rise to say enough..." Trump is going to go batshit.

This speech is going to be huge. Twitter is already going bananas, and he's still speaking
    I appreciate that Corker and Flake have come out today, but it feels like a case of too little too late. The crazy has taken hold. He attacked a widow and people have already forgotten about it.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Thread Information