Page 221 of 238 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 3570
Like Tree11581Likes

Thread: The Manchurine candidate - Trump rule past 100 days

cnn.com Donald Trump: We cannot aid Puerto Rico 'forever'

Daniella Diaz, CNN
    4-6 minutes

Story highlights

• The tweets come nearly three weeks after the hurricane
    • Much of the island is still without electricity

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump suggested Thursday that Puerto Rico is going to have to shoulder more responsibility for recovery efforts from Hurricane Maria, saying the federal government's emergency responders can't stay there "forever."
    His comments -- in which he also blamed the beleaguered island for a financial crisis "largely of their own making" and infrastructure that was a "disaster" before the hurricane -- come as Puerto Rico still reels from a lack of electricity, public health access and a rising death toll. Texas and Florida -- two states Trump won during last year's presidential election -- also were struck by severe hurricanes recently, but the President has made no public indication that the federal government is pulling back on its response there.
    He wrote in two separate tweets, "'Puerto Rico survived the Hurricanes, now a financial crisis looms largely of their own making.' says Sharyl Attkisson. A total lack of........accountability say the Governor. Electric and all infrastructure was disaster before hurricanes. Congress to decide how much to spend..."
    He continued in a third tweet: "We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!"
    Attkisson is a journalist who works for conservative Sinclair Broadcasting.
    Trump's tweets come
    three weeks after the hurricane first struck the island, which remains largely without power. The death toll from the storm has risen to 45, authorities have said, and at least 113 people remain unaccounted for, according to Karixia Ortiz, a spokeswoman for Puerto Rico's Department of Public Safety.

The recovery has moved slowly since Maria struck the US territory on September 20, leaving most of the island without basic services such as power and running water, according to residents, relief workers and local elected officials. Hospitals throughout the cash-strapped island of 3.4 million people have been running low on medicine and fuel, and residents and local elected officials have said they expect the death toll to rise.
    The water situation is so dire, the Environmental Protection Agency said in a news release Wednesday, that residents on the island have reportedly been trying to obtain water from Superfund sites -- which are bodies of water contaminated by hazardous waste. The EPA advised against "tampering with sealed and locked wells or drinking from these wells, as it may be dangerous to people's health."

Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pennsylvania, who is a member of the House foreign affairs committee, told CNN's Chris Cuomo Thursday there's only "so much" the US can do to help Puerto Rico.
    "I would then again say, 'What is enough?' What is the right amount to satisfy whoever says we're not doing enough," he said on "New Day." "It's regrettable and it's sad for those people but there only is physically, humanly possible so much that any nation could do in the wake of devastation."
    He continued: "I lived through it myself, a victim of floods on numerous occasions, had to clean it up, and I will tell you, nobody came to help us, we handled it ourselves."
    Acting Department of Homeland Security Elaine Duke will make her second trip to the island on Thursday.
    House Speaker Paul Ryan
    will lead a bipartisan delegation visiting Puerto Rico on Friday, according to the speaker's office.

Ryan will travel to the island with House Appropriations Chairman Rodney Frelinghuysen of New Jersey and Rep. Nita Lowey of New York, the top Democrat on the panel. Puerto Rico's sole representative in Congress, Jenniffer Gonzalez-Colon, and House GOP Conference Chairwoman Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers also will be part of the congressional delegation.
    The House will vote Thursday on a disaster relief bill following a series of devastating hurricanes and massive wildfires that have ravished parts of the United States.
    While the Trump administration requested $29 billion in supplemental spending last week, it asked for additional resources Tuesday night, including $4.9 billion to specifically to fund a loan program that Puerto Rico can use to address basic functions like infrastructure needs.
    The bill stood at $36.5 billion as of Wednesday afternoon.
    This story is developing and will be updated.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Forever? We haven't aided them at all you stupid, orange piece of shit I stepped in.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

He gave them paper towels. What more do you people want???
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^Were they at least extra absorbent to soak up all the water from the hurricane?
    Kittylady and twitchy2.0 like this.

I'm tired.

La. Sheriff Furious at New Laws Allowing for Release of ‘Good,’ Nonviolent Inmates Because ‘We Use Them to Wash Cars’

Breanna Edwards
    Today 10:05amFiled to: NEWS

Caddo Parish, La., Sheriff Steve Prator (Shaun King via Twitter)

In case you ever wondered about the way (some) correctional officers see their inmates, I lead you no further than to Caddo Parish, La., Sheriff Steve Prator, who is ranting and raging mad about new criminal-justice reform laws that will go into effect next month—because it will mean getting rid of cheap labor.

But don’t take my word for it, hear them come from Prator’s own mouth.

According to KSLA, Prator expressed his “concerns” about the Justice Reinvestment Act, scheduled to go into effect next month, because it would provide for the early release of thousands of inmates across the state, including 192 felons in Caddo Parish in the first wave, or so he says.

“There’s ways and things that need to be reformed on the criminal-justice system, but certainly we don’t need to do what we’re about to do,” said Prator.

The Justice Reinvestment Act is made up of 10 bills that were passed by the state Legislature and then signed by Gov. John Bel Edwards in June, in the hopes of changing Louisiana’s reputation as the most-imprisoned state in the country.

It is the hope that the act will reduce the state’s prison population by 10-12 percent and save some $262 million over the next 10 years.

To Prator, it’s all a waste.

“Simply put, the state of Louisiana is risking our safety for bragging rights and to save money,” he said.

But Prator later would show his whole ass, showing that he really doesn’t care about safety or bragging rights. He is concerned, it would seem, about saving money, but only in the form of cheap or free labor.

“The [prisoners] that you can work, the ones that can pick up trash, the work-release programs—but guess what? Those are the ones that they’re releasing!” Prator fumed in a video clip tweeted out by Shaun King. “In addition to the bad ones… they’re releasing some good ones that we use every day to wash cars, to change the oil in our cars, to cook in the kitchen, to do all that where we save money, well, they’re going to let them out!”

Well, that wasn’t subtle at all. Do tell us how you really feel, Steve.

I know I’m not the only one fed up, because in surveying the video I found this guy, who is clearly over it all.

I feel you, fam.

Anyway, as KSLA notes, Prator gave out a list of 33 inmates who would be the first to be released on Nov. 1. Some of those on the list did not qualify for release until 2025 mind you, with charges ranging from possession with intent to distribute marijuana and aggravated flight to DWI and illegal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

However, Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Correction Secretary James Le Blanc told the news station that he wasn’t sure where Prator was getting his information and facts, citing inaccuracies in Prator’s assessment of the act.

“It’s not like it’s some opening of the gates and everybody’s releasing here,” Le Blanc said. “This is 1,400 inmates that are going to 21 different districts.”

“I have all the respect in the world for Sheriff Prator. I just don’t know if he really knows what the numbers look like,” he added.

Le Blanc told KSLA that after the first wave of 1,400 inmates are released, releases would taper down to about 30 a month, and once again, it would only affect nonviolent and non-sex-offenders who qualify.

As for the 192 inmates that Prator said were going to be released from Caddo, well, Le Blanc said that as far as he knows the act only releases 35 come November.

“We can put people that need to be in these beds in. More violent offenders and sex offenders and people that we need to be dealing with and providing the adequate resources and programs to while they’re in prison,” Le Blanc told KSLA.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

I just read a tweet from the FEMA spokesperson who says they ain't leaving Puerto Rico until they're done. FUCK YOU, Trump.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^Were they at least extra absorbent to soak up all the water from the hurricane?
    They were "beautiful, soft towels. Very good towels." He said so himself! (yes, really) I wonder if they had the presidential seal on them or something?

Trump defends 'beautiful, soft towels' he tossed to Puerto Ricans | MSNBC
    witchcurlgirl, tulip and Nevan like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I am so tired of this fucking asshole. I'm looking impatiently at Mueller.
    gas_chick, panic, HWBL and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    He reminds me of Karl Pilkington from An idiot Abroad.
    LMFAO! he does. what a wonderful light of a post in this dark, dismal trump thread.
    SHELLEE likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Donald Trump: We cannot aid Puerto Rico 'forever'
    He's right, you know. At the rate he's spending public money on his private golf weekends, he'll have the US bankrupt before the end of the year.
    panic, Mivvi21 and mostroop like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

We are helping though. I mean, he's an ass for threatening to pull it (just panders to his racist base) but we've sent tons of aid and military. I'm too lazy to go look up the numbers. We delayed (by we I mean Trump), but we are there. And not just with the Bounty.
    panic and Nevan like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Source: Salon.com
    Clip at the link

Trump is falling apart, and nobody knows what to do about itA cry for help is coming from the White House. Even Trump’s inner circle say he’s unstable; the danger is growing

Heather Digby Parton10.12.2017•2:12 PM

From the moment Donald Trump went down that golden escalator back in June of 2015 to announce his candidacy, people have been predicting that his improbable foray into politics was on the verge of imploding. There were a dozen disqualifying moments during the campaign, and since he's been president, we've careened from one disaster to another, each time wondering if he's going to survive. The smart money says he does, because he always has.

Having said that, there's a shift taking place in Washington. It may just be the realization setting in that the man we saw on the campaign trail was the real, authentic Donald Trump and he's not going to change. There are too many reports coming from inside the administration on Capitol Hill expressing concern at his behavior to write this off as just another Trump storm that will soon pass. There are alarms going off all over Washington, and it feels different this time.

First there are the reports of Trump having to be handled like a small child because of his moodiness and irrational demands. This part does not surprise me. He showed his puerile temperament on the campaign trail from the beginning. The infantile nicknames, his rage tweets, his narcissism all pointed to someone who was emotionally immature and intellectually in over his head. Here's one example from early in the primary season:

Trump's childish combativeness hasn't changed since he's been president and led to his greatest self-inflicted wound, the firing of FBI Director James Comey and the naming of special counsel Robert Mueller to oversee the Russia investigation.

There is also a growing acknowledgement that Trump doesn't understand the job and isn't able to learn it. This too was obvious before the election. He was up-front about how he does business, admitting that he never bothered with market research or consultants of any kind. According to The Washington Post, back in July of 2016 Trump said he reaches the right decisions “with very little knowledge other than the knowledge I [already] had, plus the words ‘common sense,’ because I have a lot of common sense and I have a lot of business ability.” He told them that he didn't trust experts because “they can’t see the forest for the trees” and "when he makes decisions, people see that he instinctively knows the right thing to do."

No one should have expected that he would be willing or able to learn anything new as president, and he isn't. He believes he is omniscient.

Indeed, we've seen a lot of reports that the president's behavior is getting worse. Gabriel Sherman of Vanity Fair published an article on Wednesday in which numerous sources told him that the White House is in crisis and that Sen. Bob Corker's comments have "brought into the open what several people close to the president" have told Sherman in private: "that Trump is 'unstable,' 'losing a step,' and 'unraveling.'" He is described as "increasingly unfocused and consumed by dark moods," particularly since his chosen candidate in the Alabama Senate race, Luther Strange, lost the primary runoff and he began to suspect that "his cult of personality was broken."

Sherman's sources believe that Trump is losing it; there's no other way to put it. And there's reason to think they're right. Even by Trump's standards, he often seems a little bit confused. During Wednesday's press availability with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the president was asked how his lunch on Tuesday with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson went. He replied:
    Very good. You mean last week? John, you're so far behind the times. Do you mean today or last week? Because today I didn't have lunch with him.
    No, I had a lunch last week, and we had a very good lunch. We have a very good relationship. The press really doesn't understand that, but that's OK. We actually have a very good relationship.
    It had been widely reported that Trump had had lunch the previous day with Tillerson and Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, as the reporter in question had said. It was on the president's official schedule and MSNBC's Peter Alexander checked with the White House and was told that the lunch took place. Sherman also reports that the White House doesn't want Trump doing adversarial interviews (such as one with "60 Minutes" that was canceled) because "he's lost a step," which suggests there's something else going on.

On the other hand, Trump has never known what he was talking about and often just lies reflexively for reasons of his own. In fact, Wednesday's NBC report that Trump had suggested increasing the American nuclear arsenal tenfold is a case in point. Back in July, he had looked at a chart of U.S. and Russian nuclear capability over time that showed America’s stockpile at its peak in the late 1960s. He reportedly saw the highest number on the chart, about 32,000 nuclear warheads, and said he wanted that many again.

Trump simply did not understand that decades of painstaking non-proliferation work had brought the U.S. nuclear arsenal down to about 4,000 warheads, more than enough to obliterate the human population of earth. Those present at the meeting didn't perceive Trump's remark as an order, mostly because his response to every item of military capability they brought up was "more, I want more," with no understanding of the specifics.
    On Wednesday, Trump denied ever saying he wanted to expand the nuclear arsenal. Yet long before that meeting there was this:

Donald J. Trump‏@realDonaldTrump
    The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes

His response to NBC's report, as we've all heard by now, amounted to a frontal assault on the First Amendment. He threatened to withdraw the licenses of NBC TV stations in retaliation for what he (of course) described as "fake news."

It's now widely assumed that Trump is going to declare that Iran is in breach of the nuclear agreement this week and send the issue to Congress to sort out, which pretty much forecloses any more negotiations with North Korea. Abrogation of this nuclear treaty means that it's unlikely any nonproliferation agreement signed by the United States will be considered worth the paper it's printed on from here on out.

For the most part, elected GOP officials remain craven, cowering before the throne and hoping to get their precious tax cuts passed and their right-wing judges seated before Trump hits the nuclear button. But even Trump's close friends are worried enough that they are going public, and dozens of others are speaking to reporters off the record.

There's a cry for help coming from inside the house -- the White House. Everyone can hear it, but nobody can figure out how to disarm the crazy man who's holding the country hostage. He has no intention of surrendering.

ShimmeringGlow likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

No one knows what to do about it? What the actual fuck? They know what they should do and admit this election was a total sham but they won't because they don't want to let go of the power they have. They will watch the world burn because of it.
    HWBL, Beeyotch and garysgirl1999 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I know what to do about it - call me. It's called Amendment 25. Get him out.
    HWBL, greysfang, Mivvi21 and 3 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Trump: "I met with the president of the Virgin Islands." (Note: He's the president of the Virgin Islands.)

Trump: "I don't have a schedule, but if I did have a schedule, I would say we are substantially ahead of schedule."
    Beeyotch, Brookie, Nevan and 2 others like this.

Thread Information