Page 135 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 3570
Like Tree11582Likes

Thread: The Manchurine candidate - Trump rule past 100 days

The 20 most memorable lines from Trump's calls with Mexican, Australian leaders

By Liz Stark, CNN
    Updated 2:57 PM ET, Thu August 3, 2017

Washington (CNN)Transcripts from President Donald Trump's calls with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull were obtained by The Washington Post Thursday morning.

The conversations reveal Trump's thoughts on everything from the Mexican border wall to the Boston Marathon bombers, from Canada as a NAFTA trading partner to New Hampshire's opioid crisis.
    Asked by CNN to comment on the transcript, Michael Anton, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said only that he "can't confirm or deny the authenticity of allegedly leaked classified documents."

Here are the most memorable lines from these two exchanges:
    MEXICO

1. "In the latest election, I won with a large percentage of Hispanic voters. ... But overall generally, I had well over 30% and everyone was shocked to see this. I understand the community and they understand me, and I have a great respect for the Mexican people."

Trump repeatedly reflects on his 2016 presidential election victory during his conversation with Peña Nieto, claiming that "everyone was shocked" to see support from Hispanic and Cuban-American voters. According to 2016 exit polls, among Latinos, 28% cast their votes for Trump and 66% supported Democrat Hillary Clinton. Despite stirring up controversy by calling some Mexican immigrants criminals and "rapists" in his presidential campaign announcement in June 2015, Trump assures Peña Nieto in their call that he has "great respect for the Mexican people."
    2. "I felt that we should do a much simpler solution, and that solution was tariffs at the border, because the United States has a trade deficit with Mexico of $60 billion."

Trump threatens to impose tariffs on Mexican goods at the southern border, citing a trade deficit of $60 billion. CNN reported last month that the US trade deficit with Mexico was approximately $63 billion last year, and it has grown considerably since NAFTA went into effect in 1994.
    3. "We lost a lot of factories in Ohio and Michigan and I won these states -- some of these states have not been won in 38 years by a Republican and I won them very easily. So they are dancing in the streets. You probably have the same thing where they are dancing in your streets also, but in reverse."

Speaking in the third person, Trump claims that Ohioans are hosting rallies and "dancing in the streets" in support of his "hard stance" on Mexico. The President again reflects on general election victories in Ohio and Michigan, states he won with 51.8% and 47.6% of the vote, respectively. However, it remains unclear what Trump means by the "reverse" of dancing in the streets.
    4."That is a separate thing and they are fine and we have had a very fair relationship with Canada. It has been much more balanced and much more fair. So we do not have to worry about Canada, we do not even think about them."

Oh Canada! As the two presidents discuss balancing trade deals as part of NAFTA, Trump assures Peña Nieto that they "do not have to worry about Canada." The Mexican President, however, sticks up for the US' northern neighbor, saying that "it is an asset to have the three partners of NAFTA." The Trump administration published a list of goals last month for the upcoming renegotiation of NAFTA -- the free trade agreement between the United States, Canada and Mexico.
    RELATED: Call transcript: Trump urged Mexican president to stop criticizing wall
    5. "Up in New Hampshire -- I won New Hampshire because New Hampshire is a drug-infested den -- is coming from the southern border."

Trump referred to New Hampshire as a "drug-infested den" while criticizing the flow of illegal drugs that come into the United States from Mexico. His characterization of the Granite State, which gave him his first victory during the Republican primary but he lost to Clinton in the general election, has garnered significant outcry from New Hampshire's lawmakers. On the campaign trail, Trump regularly focused on the drug crisis in New Hampshire, even headlining an event focused on the opioid epidemic just days before the 2016 election.
    6. "You have some pretty tough hombres in Mexico that you may need help with, and we are willing to help you with that big-league. But they have to be knocked out and you have not done a good job of knocking them out."

Trump invokes "pretty tough hombres" to characterize drug lords in Mexico, which he then pledges support to Mexico for help with "knocking them out." This is not the first time Trump has referred to Mexican drug lords as "hombres" -- during the third presidential debate, the then-Republican nominee said one of the first things he would do to improve the border is get drug dealers and "bad hombres" out of the US.
    7. "Believe it or not, this is the least important thing that we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important (to) talk about. But in terms of dollars -- or pesos -- it is the least important thing."

Trump begins his persistent appeal to Peña Nieto to remain quiet on the issue of the southern border wall, as the Mexican President had publicly criticized Trump's claims that Mexico would pay for it. Trump insists that while the wall may be "the least important thing" they discuss, the Mexican President's silence is "the most important" issue politically.
    8. "But you cannot say that to the press. The press is going to go with that and I cannot live with that. You cannot say that to the press because I cannot negotiate under those circumstances."

Trump again urges Peña Nieto not to discuss the border wall, fearing backlash from the press.
    9. "It is you and I against the world, Enrique, do not forget."

In response to Peña Nieto saying that Mexico and the US must "generate jobs, and we have to be stronger and we have to be growing," Trump offers a touching note about their relationship.
    10. "Your words are so beautiful. Those are beautiful words and I do not think I can speak that beautifully, OK? It would be great to put those words at the end of the statement. Really nice though."

At the end of their conversation, Peña Nieto tells Trump he wishes "for both of our nations to do well -- for your government, for you, and for us to truly have a relationship with friendship and a very constructive relationship, Mr. Trump." Trump then offers praise for Peña Nieto's "beautiful" closing sentiments.
    AUSTRALIA

1. "I heard about this -- I have to say I love Australia; I love the people of Australia. I have so many friends from Australia..."

Trump expresses his love for the "Land Down Under."
    2. "That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am."

Trump reacts to Turnbull's comments that even if refugees are "the best people in the world, even if you are a Nobel Prize winning genius, we will not let you in." Australia currently bans refugees from entering the country by boat, which Turnbull has claimed will reduce smuggling and dangerous voyages for refugees.
    3. "I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week."

Trump criticizes a refugee resettlement agreement forged with Australia in the closing days of the Obama administration, fearing that the deal will make him "look bad." Under the arrangement, agreed to by former President Barack Obama and Turnbull last November, Australia would transfer around 1,250 refugees currently held in offshore detention centers on the Pacific Island nation of Nauru and Papua New Guinea's Manus Island to the US.

Trump: New Hampshire is a drug-infested den01:00

4. "I hate taking these people. I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local milk people."

The President continues venting to Turnbull about refugees, warning that some of them will not be "wonderful people" who work for "local milk people." While Trump does not expand on who "local milk people" are, milk production from the major American dairy industry is up, totaling 16.9 billion pounds in June, according to the US Department of Agriculture.
    5. "Look, I do not know how you got them to sign a deal like this, but that is how they lost the election. They said I had no way to 270 and I got 306. That is why they lost the election, because of stupid deals like this."

Pivoting away from the conversation about refugees, Trump takes a moment to rehash his electoral college win, claiming that the Democratic Party lost the election because of "stupid deals."
    6. "OK, this shows me to be a dope. I am not like this but, if I have to do it, I will do it but I do not like this at all. I will be honest with you."

Trump expresses concerns about being perceived as a "dope" for upholding the US's refugee agreement with Australia.
    7. "Does anybody know who these people are? Who are they? Where do they come from? Are they going to become the Boston bomber in five years? Or two years? Who are these people?

Trump expresses frustration about refugees entering the US needing to be vetted, arguing that someone among them could be a terrorist like the Boston Marathon bombers.
    8. "Give them to the United States. We are like a dumping ground for the rest of the world. I have been here for a period of time, I just want this to stop. I look so foolish doing this. (I) know it is good for you but it is bad for me. It is horrible for me."

Calling the country a "dumping ground for the rest of the world," the US President continues his attack against the Australian refugee agreement. Trump raises concerns that he will be perceived as foolish and notes that "it is horrible for me."
    9. "They were from wherever they were."

When Turnbull tells Trump that the Boston bombers were Russians, Trump seems to dismiss that fact as irrelevant. Boston police identified the bombers as Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, brothers from Cambridge, Massachusetts, who were of Chechen origin and legally immigrated to the United States.
    10. "I have had it. I have been making these calls all day and this is the most unpleasant call all day. Putin was a pleasant call. This is ridiculous."

Trump ends the "unpleasant" call with Turnbull saying, "I have had it," adding that his earlier call with Russian President Vladimir Putin had gone better.

CNN's Dan Merica and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

The 20 most memorable lines from Trump's calls - CNNPolitics.com
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Source: CNN

Mueller launches grand jury in Russia investigation - report

Washington (CNN)Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller has launched a grand jury in his investigation of Russian influence in the 2016 election, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

One year into the FBI's Russia investigation, Mueller is on the Trump money trail

Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, the Journal said Mueller had impaneled the grand jury in Washington, where his team of investigators continue to look into whether President Donald Trump or any of his campaign associates colluded with Russia during the presidential contest.

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that subpoenas had been issued in connection to Donald Trump Jr.'s 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer. The news agency cited two sources familiar with the matter. That meeting has drawn scrutiny since an email exchange beforehand indicated the Russians offered damaging information on Hillary Clinton.

The move would signal a new step in the investigation, which Trump has lambasted as a "witch hunt." Trump has denied any collusion between his team and the Russians. US intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia attempted to sway the presidential contest in Trump's favor.
    Ty Cobb, special counsel to the President, said he wasn't aware that Mueller had started using a new grand jury.
    "Grand jury matters are typically secret," Mr. Cobb said. "The White House favors anything that accelerates the conclusion of his work fairly... The White House is committed to fully cooperating with Mr. Mueller."

Trump ignored shouted questions about Mueller as he departed the White House on Thursday afternoon.
    Smiling and waving, Trump walked from the Oval Office to his Marine One helicopter on a sunny August afternoon. He was joined by son Eric Trump and daughter in law Lara Trump, as well as Jared Kushner and new chief of staff John Kelly.
    A spokesman for Mueller's office declined to comment on the report.

Federal investigators have seized on Trump and his associates' financial ties to Russia as among the most fertile avenues for moving their probe forward, people familiar with the investigation tell CNN.
    The web of financial ties could offer a more concrete path toward potential prosecution than the broader and murkier questions of collusion in the 2016 campaign, these sources said.

In May, CNN reported that federal prosecutors had issued grand jury subpoenas to some associates of former national security adviser Michael Flynn as part of the ongoing probe into the Russian meddling.
    Mueller took over that investigation in mid-May.

Those subpoenas were issued by the US Attorney's office in Alexandria, Virginia, but the Wall Street Journal report indicated that Mueller would utilize a grand jury based in downtown Washington, near the offices where Mueller and his team work.
    The question of Russian interference has hung over Trump's presidency for months, even as the White House has sought to wall itself off from the matter. Trump has retained a team of lawyers to handle the growing legal swirl.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Source: Washington Post

Secret Service vacates Trump Tower command post in lease dispute with president’s company

Police presence inside of Trump Tower on Thursday. (John Taggart/ for The Washington Post)

The Secret Service has vacated its command post inside Trump Tower in Manhattan following a dispute between the government and President Trump’s company over the terms of a lease for the space, according to two people familiar with the discussions.
    Previously, the Secret Service had stationed its command post — which houses supervisors and backup agents on standby in case of an emergency — in a Trump Tower unit one floor below the president’s apartment.

But in early July, the post was relocated to a trailer on the sidewalk, more than 50 floors below, a distance that some security experts worry could hamper the agency that protects the president’s home and family.
    The command post appears unlikely to move anytime soon back inside Trump Tower, where the president and his family have rarely gone since moving to the White House.

On Thursday, a spokeswoman for the Trump Organization said the government should seek space in another location.

“After much consideration, it was mutually determined that it would be more cost effective and logistically practical for the Secret Service to lease space elsewhere,” spokeswoman Amanda Miller wrote in an email to The Washington Post.
    The details of the dispute between the Trump Organization and the Secret Service were not clear Thursday. Two people familiar with the discussions said the sticking points included the price and other conditions of the lease.

On Thursday, there appeared to be a difference of opinion over whether negotiations for a Trump Tower space were still going on.
    Despite the Trump Organization’s statement to The Post on Thursday saying the agency should look elsewhere, Secret Service officials said the agency is still hoping for space in Trump Tower.

The agency is working “to obtain permanent work space in an appropriate location,” said Catherine Milhoan, a Secret Service spokeswoman.
    Milhoan added, “Throughout this process, there has been no impact to the security plan developed by the Secret Service.”
    A spokeswoman for the General Services Administration, which handles government leasing, declined to comment because the search for a command-post space is still active.

“The space is still in the process of being obtained and a final decision has not been made,” spokeswoman Pamela Dixon wrote in an e-mail.
    That move has provided a new illustration of the unusual nature of Trump’s tenure, in which the president has retained ownership of a real estate and branding company.
    In this case, Trump’s government sought to be a customer of Trump’s business. To protect him, the agency needed space in the pricey tower where he lives. But the two sides couldn’t agree. The Trump Organization was willing to accept a situation where the agents moved out and the space was available for others.
    Trump has not visited Trump Tower since he was inaugurated. His wife, first lady Melania Trump, and their son Barron lived there for several months, but relocated to Washington in early June.

Still, the Secret Service treats Trump Tower as the president’s permanent home, and has a full-time detail to protect it.
    Experts said the Secret Service will have a presence inside the building if Trump or his family members visit, as their personal security details would remain in close proximity.
    A Secret Service official said Thursday that the agency could compensate at other times by stationing more agents at standing posts in various locations throughout the building.

But experts said that the lack of a nearby command post could make the situation less safe in an emergency.
    “It’s a security deficiency that has to be resolved,” said a former Secret Service official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject. “It’s like having the quarterback of the football game actually being located in a different stadium than where the game is being played.”
    The Secret Service command post acts as a nerve center for a broader team of agents, both at a president’s private home and when the president travels. The command post is usually located on the same floor as the suite or room where the president is sleeping, or one floor below.

At Trump Tower, the command post had operated temporarily for months in the offices of the Trump Organization, one floor below the president’s residence.
    Now, with the post on the street below, security experts worry that radio transmissions could break up because of the distance and multiple walls between agents on the scene and commanders in the trailer.

The U.S. military has separately agreed to lease space in Trump Tower for $130,000 a month, according to a lease first reported last month by the Wall Street Journal. That space will be for the White House Military Office, which provides services including communications and the handling of the “football” that the president would use to launch a nuclear attack, the Journal reported.

The Journal reported that the military was paying more for this unit than other renters had paid for similar units in the building.
    In that case, however, the unit was not leased directly from Trump — but rather from Joel Anderson, a businessman who owns the space. In an interview Thursday, Anderson said that the government didn’t really try to negotiate a lower price.

“It was a standard lease negotiation, like any other, and had all of the same parts. The only thing that made it difficult it is they’re bureaucratic, and it takes them forever to do anything,” Anderson said. “They’re not bad to deal with, they’re just slow.”
    The lease agreement in that case — which runs to 149 pages — illustrates the extra conditions that may come from leasing space to the government. Its provisions ask that the owner of the space follow energy-efficiency guidelines, submit reports on its compliance with fair-hiring practices, and post signs with a hotline for reporting contract fraud.

Brookie likes this.

***** celeb

The reason the asshat is still in power is because it will take Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and those lot to bring impeachment charges. Guess what guys that shit ain't happening no matter what. They are in charge and that is all they give a fuck about.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Why the hell are we paying to guard Trump Tower when the asshole doesn't even live there anymore?
    Kittylady likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Don't Uday and Qusay live at Trump Tower? US taxpayers get to pay for protection for his good boys.
    Janus likes this.

From Twitter:
    Mark Follman‏Verified account
    @markfollman

Trump presiding over West Virginia crowd chanting "lock her up" as the special counsel's investigation fast closes in around him. Surreal.

Mark Follman is the National Affairs Editor for Mother Jones.
    Kittylady likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

He needs to stop talking about the fucking election and Hillary. He just doesn't understand that this whole Russia thing isn't about him winning, it's about having a foreign government involving itself in our democratic process. It's not acceptable, regardless of who won. If his campaign cooperated with Russia in some way, that's just another level of this.

OMFG - MSNBC is running clips of that speech. It's all about Hillary - the emails, how he won, no Russians were involved AT ALL. What in the actual fuck?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    OMFG - MSNBC is running clips of that speech. It's all about Hillary - the emails, how he won, no Russians were involved AT ALL. What in the actual fuck?
    Gotta keep his minions thinking that the Mueller investigation is really about Hillary and Obama.

Gold Member

He is deranged.
    Kittylady and garysgirl1999 like this.

Nothing is ever going to happen to him. I'm fucking done with this thread. I've been reading all of these posts, getting excited that he's finally gonna get impeached/arrested, and it's all for naught.
    ana-mish-ana likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Nothing is ever going to happen to him. I'm fucking done with this thread. I've been reading all of these posts, getting excited that he's finally gonna get impeached/arrested, and it's all for naught.
    That's what I've been saying several times to my FB friend in the know. He keeps telling me to be patient because it is such a huge case that Mueller is building that he wants to make sure there will be as little to no escape routes for the goons. He also repeatedly said things will blow up for the orange turd by the end of this year.

And this is apparently the REAL cover of the next edition of Newsweek:
    Last edited by HWBL; August 4th, 2017 at 03:17 AM.

***** celeb

So anyone in the know have any idea if Mueller comes up with the dirt (which sounds like it's all but certain at this point), where exactly does that leave our government? They can't shove Pence in there because if Russia interfered in the election, they interfered with his VP election too. Please don't tell me Paul Ryan.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    So anyone in the know have any idea if Mueller comes up with the dirt (which sounds like it's all but certain at this point), where exactly does that leave our government? They can't shove Pence in there because if Russia interfered in the election, they interfered with his VP election too. Please don't tell me Paul Ryan.
    My friend in the know says their discoveries are like an oil spill: everything and everyone is connected, including in many layers of the GOP. So, I don't know how that will affect the entire US political structure........ And Trump's mouthpiece at FOX, Hannity, is involved bigly, too.

Told everyone to be patient. 😁
    You are finally seeing some really big stuff start to break out publicly after a lot of incrimental leaks and information the last months.
    Remember..we are still seeing maybe 1% of what there is to see. 😎
    When it all spills out the whole country will be stunned beyond belief, bigly.
    This CANNOT end well for Trump and his cabal of liars and criminals. You cannot put toothpaste back in the tube.

Last edited by HWBL; August 4th, 2017 at 03:31 AM.
    Brookie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

***** celeb

Thread Information