Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make sure your child can speak Spanish- Barack Obama

Ι agree with Purplehaze,that is mostly the way things are.
    The Duch are very good at lingos in Europe.
    I think if you learn the lingo ,you hold a key to people,s culture.
    I dont want to think of what i ll be missing if i only spoke Greek,great books i ve read,songs i ve enjoyed,friends i ve had..great laughs i ve shared with you,guys.
    I ve earged my kids to learn lingos,too.My son masters English,Italian,speaks AND writes Japanese after 8 years of studies and he ll start Russian this fall.
    My girls,apart from English can communicate in French and some Italian too.Once you start it becomes easier.
    I only wish i could study good Italian some day..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
    that's exactely why i said seems like imo there's a difference in saying "it mostly is" or in your case saying "all europeans smell bad and have poor hygiene" compared to saying to "it seems like..." but maybe i am just petty minded
    which is why I said 'sort of' to qualify the statement...but carry on darling
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I'm always very impressed by the high standard of English among GR members who have it as a second or even third language.

So am I. Hats off to them!!!!

Obama.......make sure your wife never says "my baby daddy" ever again.
    Then you can worry about what the rest of us do.

In regards to Canadians learning french, it depends on your geographic location really.. where I grew up (right on the provincial border) french immersion was required in public schools.. if you didn't want it, you had to go to a catholic school. In Toronto, not so much, you can choose either way.

out west, nobody learns french unless they take it in high school
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i wish i knew more spanish, more languages

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

There's a lot more job opportunities if you could speak French in Canada though? That's what I see on classifieds anyway, bilingual ____ wanted.

Is it required for civil servants to be bilingual? Could be more political than practical.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Gold Member

I think English should be made the national language. That way federal agencies wouldn't be able to cater to non-English speakers by providing them service in their languages. When I went to renew my driver's license, I was amazed that they allowed several non-English speaking Latin American immigrants to take the test in Spanish. Is it safe for them to drive on our roads if they can't understand the signs?

I support Americans learning foreign languages (I speak French.) But I don't support this push to learn Spanish specifically. It seems that we have become way too politically correct as a nation when we bend over backwards accomodate foreigners and assimilate for their benefit rather than the other way around, which is the way immigration is supposed to work.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    I think English should be made the national language. That way federal agencies wouldn't be able to cater to non-English speakers by providing them service in their languages. When I went to renew my driver's license, I was amazed that they allowed several non-English speaking Latin American immigrants to take the test in Spanish. Is it safe for them to drive on our roads if they can't understand the signs?
    Some signs are universal and I don't necessarily agree that it's unsafe to drive in a country where you don't speak the language. I did it and I was fine, but I was also exhausted due to being hypervigilant. I don't think it's a good idea to do it all the time.

I support Americans learning foreign languages (I speak French.) But I don't support this push to learn Spanish specifically. It seems that we have become way too politically correct as a nation when we bend over backwards accomodate foreigners and assimilate for their benefit rather than the other way around, which is the way immigration is supposed to work.
    I agree. I can speak Spanish but I want to do so on my terms, not because I have to to make myself understood in my own country.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    not all foreigners who live in a country are going to stay there, and lots of countries let foreigners pass the driving test in their language. i know for a fact that in switzerland (or at least geneva) you can pass the driving test in a whole bunch of languages. there a lot of multinationals based here, not to mention the UN and other international organisations, with people from all over the world that don't necessarily speak french, and who have to get a swiss licence if they don't have an international one.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    not all foreigners who live in a country are going to stay there, and lots of countries let foreigners pass the driving test in their language. i know for a fact that in switzerland (or at least geneva) you can pass the driving test in a whole bunch of languages. there a lot of multinationals based here, not to mention the UN and other international organisations, with people from all over the world that don't necessarily speak french, and who have to get a swiss licence if they don't have an international one.
    Switzerland has four official languages though. The US doesn't technically have an official language but English has been the de facto official language over most of the US for most of its history, and the vast majority of people in this country speak English and nothing else. You can't really compare the US to Switzerland in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
    ^ though it seems like it mostly is.
    out of curiosity do students in the states have to learn a forgein language? or is it all voluntary/ an optional subject? then again i have no clue how it is handled in other european countries?! all i know is that in germany we have to learn english and at least in "gymnasium" you have to learn one more. usually you can choose between french and latin (mostly students that want to be doctors or such choose that).

It is mandatory for my kids to take a foreign language for 4 years if they want their HS diploma. Funny because most of them can't even speak english to begin with.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    It is mandatory for my kids to take a foreign language for 4 years if they want their HS diploma. Funny because most of them can't even speak english to begin with.
    It's not really strange; studying a foreign language can enhance your understanding of your native language. When you're learning the rudiments of grammar in a foreign language, you're being instructed in English and the language being studied is being constantly compared to English. You can't help but pick it up. I didn't even realize there was a subjunctive tense in English (or French) until I studied Spanish. It simply never occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    But if you say you expect people living in an English speaking country to speak, errr, you know ENGLISH you'll be accused of being racist.
    I don't give a shit. If I had to move to a country where English was not the main language, I would bust my ass to learn the new language.

In America, learn English or *bleep* off.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Switzerland has four official languages though. The US doesn't technically have an official language but English has been the de facto official language over most of the US for most of its history, and the vast majority of people in this country speak English and nothing else. You can't really compare the US to Switzerland in that respect.
    yes, but you can take the driving test in languages other than the 4 official ones. albanian (switzerland took in a lot of kosovars when the war broke out), polish, etc...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information