Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Major U.S. news sources claiming Osama Bin Laden is dead

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    um, the cynic in me thinks this won't make the least bit of difference.

agreed. emmanuel goldstein is dead, but the wars will expand and continue.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

In terms of bin Laden being given a proper Muslim burial, I'm not sure it would really apply here, since his whole movement is one big perversion of Islam.

^^^^
    again, it's about the message it sends, not the specifics or whether or not osama bin laden himself deserved to be treated with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    agreed. emmanuel goldstein is dead, but the wars will expand and continue.
    this.

but also, al qaeda is essentially an acephalous organisation. it doesn't need an osama bin laden to continue. yes, there are high-ranking leaders in the organisation but fundamentalist islam doesn't need them as long as the hatred is there, terrorist attacks will continue and smaller organisations will spring up everywhere.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

bin Laden was just a really bad guy in a neverending continuum of bad guys. Taking him, though, did a number of things:

1. Proved, once and for all, that he was still alive.
    2. Proved he loved a cushy mansion more than rugged terrain. Once a rich kid, always a rich kid.
    3. Proved that the United States will pursue you until they get you if you perpetrate an attack against the U.S.

The bin Laden episode is a little reminiscent of what happened with Mir Aimal Kasi, the Pakistani who shot and killed two CIA employees (and wounded three others) in a 1993 attack right outside the CIA Langley HQ. He tried to hide out in Pakistan, but the U.S. came and got him four years later. He was tried, confessed, and was lethally injected in 2002.

Fox news is up to their usual.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMP7Ys57ha4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That reminds me, Republicans have quoted endlessly the story that the Sudanese offered bin Laden to Bill Clinton and he turned them down. Which is probably false. However, the story is supposed to illustrate how indecisive and off-the-mark on terrorism the Clinton Administration was. As well as show that 9/11 was somehow the fault of Clinton for being so lax in pursuing bin Laden, allowing him to set plans in motion that hit us during the Bush Administration.

It has to be a painful irony that the "soft-on-terrorism", "crypto-Muslim" Obama was the sitting President when bin Laden was finally dispatched.
    This is even more ironic:
    Bush rejects Taliban offer to surrender bin Laden Monday, 15 October 2001
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Fox news is up to their usual.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMP7Ys57ha4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    This is even more ironic:
    Bush rejects Taliban offer to surrender bin Laden Monday, 15 October 2001
    So the US could have had bin Laden since October 2001? That is absolutely horrifying, Bush has so much blood on his hands it's a wonder he can live with himself.

I can't celebrate bin Laden's death,I just find the whole situation sobering. I can only hope that it brings some little bit of closure to the families he has ripped apart.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I understand all of the reasons and I think it will serve the US well. It was a good PR decision. There's probably a huge number of people who would have liked to see his body thrown into a sea of New Yorkers though.

ETA: Skimmed your post initially Sput and then saw the first paragraph again. I never said I was offended by their decision to treat his body respectfully. On the contrary, I have a hard time celebrating anyone's death even a monster like this.
    It's more than a good PR decision, it's the humane and right thing. Not picking on you Bellatheball, but I'm seriously grossed out by how vulgar people are starting to be about this whole caper.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I am glad the bastard is dead

I am glad that the families of the 9/11 victims will get some sort of closure from this
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Haha, on Twitter people are tweeting that this won't be finished until Trump sees his actual death certificate.
    Awesome!

I was stuck in crazy roadwork last night on I-95 N near Richmond when I heard it on the radio. It was a pretty cool moment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Awesome!

I was stuck in crazy roadwork last night on I-95 N near Richmond when I heard it on the radio. It was a pretty cool moment!
    How long is that roadwork supposed to last? I'm going to be down there next week....

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    It's more than a good PR decision, it's the humane and right thing. Not picking on you Bellatheball, but I'm seriously grossed out by how vulgar people are starting to be about this whole caper.
    There are always going to be people who are reactionary and are willing to yell for blood at the drop of the hat. Outside of those people, I've noticed the strongest reactions are coming from those with direct ties to 9/11 or the military response, which makes perfect sense.

It's easy for me to sit here and say I don't understand cheering for someone's death but I didn't have a loved one jump 80 stories to their death after a jet flew into the building they were in.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    [/b]

And dems won't?

I don't think either side should be crowing. It took 10 years, two wars, billions of dollars and many, many livess to catch one guy.

Glad he's done, hope this brings closure to many, but any fool (politician) who stands up to brag about failing for 10 years should just sit back down.
    AWESOME post!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    so many reasons to do so. it boggles the mind that people would even consider being offended or puzzled by the fact that he was given a muslim burial.
    for starters:
    - it shows that, despite the fact that there is a war going on and he was enemy number 1, US forces respect islamic culture and are 'better' than the terrorists and took the high road. and it's good PR, especially in light of recent US abuses in the muslim world like abu grahib, etc. do you think the US needs another scandal like that? it's a gesture that will be appreciated by moderate muslims. it's not about bin laden per se, it's about the message it sends to the muslim world. they made a point of making it known that islamic custom was respected because they are keen to point out that they were fighting terrorism, not islam as a whole.
    - it shows class. they got him, he's dead. what would be the point in not giving him a muslim burial and respecting customs?
    This x 1000. Don't fuck with burial rituals of another religion. That is just another recipe for trouble.

Btw, Navy Seals rock. My cousin was a Navy seal. Four of my brothers were in the Navy and I live near a Navy Base. The military got the job done and are the real people to thank.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Hit By Ban Bus!

The only thing that seemed weird about the burial at sea to me is that the burial custom in Islam is to have the body facing Mecca, can't remember if it's head or feet in that direction. I have never heard of burial at sea being an accepted practice but I guess it must be if they have to bury them in 24 hours. Although I agree with Lynnie, it makes sense for them to just say they buried him at sea so that no one will demand the body etc and also whoever said that they didn't want a shrine to him.

You don't need a shrine to make a martyr.

I would assume there have been many Islamic sea burials, as there have been muslim sailors throughout history. I'm sure some will object to the sea burial, but history tells us it surely must have been practiced.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information