Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Major U.S. news sources claiming Osama Bin Laden is dead

I still find it so odd that he never released a video of himself all these years, only voice tapes. This is a man that thrived on publicity and ego, more so than a hollywood celebrity. I'm curious as to find out what kind of a 'lifestyle' he was leading, any pictures/videos of him found in the house, etc.

Step-by-step: How the U.S. killed Bin Laden - Yahoo! News

Soon after coming to office, President Obama made it clear that killing or capturing Bin Laden was one of his highest national security priorities.

But it wasn't until last summer that intelligence officials caught a break in their pursuit.

In September 2010, the CIA presented Obama with a set of assessments that indicated Bin Laden could be hiding in a compound in northwest Pakistan. Starting in mid-March, the president convened at least nine National Security Council meetings to discuss the intelligence suggesting Bin Laden may be hiding out virtually in plain sight.

The CIA developed their theory through leads from individuals in Bin Laden's inner circle and other captured fighters following Sept. 11. Intelligence officials were repeatedly told about one courier working for Bin Laden, as someone that America's Most Wanted Man deeply trusted.

The detainees provided U.S. officials the courier's nickname, and identified him as protégé of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and a trusted assistant of Abu Faraj al Libbi, once Al Qaeda's third highest ranking official. (He was captured in 2005).

The president finally gave the order for the operation to pursue Bin Laden on the morning of April 29--just before he departed for Alabama to visit areas ravaged by last week's tornadoes that tore through the southern U.S., a senior administration official said.

Early this morning in Pakistan, the strike began.

By 1 p.m. in Washington, top advisers had gathered at the White House. Around 2 p.m., Obama huddled with them to review final preparations for the operation. He returned to Situation Room at 3:32 p.m. for another update, and by 3:50 he was given word that Bin Laden was "tentatively identified" as among those killed in the operation. At 7 p.m., Obama was told it was a "high probability" that it was, indeed, Bin Laden.

The entire operation took just 40-minutes and involved a small U.S. team, a senior administration official said.

In addition to Bin Laden, four others on the compound -- an adult son of Bin Laden and two of Bin Laden's couriers -- were killed in the strike on the compound in an affluent suburb about 35 miles outside of Islamabad. A woman, who an administration official said was used as a human shield, was also killed in the operation.
    Administration officials offered scant details about how Bin Laden conducted himself in his final moments--only saying that he was felled in a firefight.

No Americans were killed in the operation, which was kept secret from the Pakistani government until after it was completed. But an administration official said that a helicopter was lost in the operation.

Before announcing the news that Bin Laden had been killed, Obama called former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush to deliver the news.

By the time Obama stepped to the podium, hundreds had gathered outside the White House to celebrate the president's biggest national security victory of his presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I still find it so odd that he never released a video of himself all these years, only voice tapes. This is a man that thrived on publicity and ego, more so than a hollywood celebrity. I'm curious as to find out what kind of a 'lifestyle' he was leading, any pictures/videos of him found in the house, etc.
    Well, he was caught in Pakistan. An American Ally. So I guess he was under the protection of the Pakistani goverment all the time and had a pretty much good time.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of this on Facebook as well. I don't care about your politics. Can't we just be glad that Bin Laden is now dead?
    I'm seeing it as well, unfortunately. It didn't take long before a cropping up of posters on my FB feed who were really offended at Obama "taking the credit" for the mission and arguing about how he doesn't deserve any. But I've come to expect nothing less from these particular people, so I wasn't surprised. It's like, come on, already? I have a few friends right now at Ground Zero who posted pictures of the celebration, wish I was there right now.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche View Post
    Well, he was caught in Pakistan. An American Ally. So I guess he was under the protection of the Pakistani goverment all the time and had a pretty much good time.
    There's going to be some questions asked about this for sure. Very unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I'm seeing it as well, unfortunately. It didn't take long before a cropping up of posters on my FB feed who were really offended at Obama "taking the credit" for the mission and arguing about how he doesn't deserve any. But I've come to expect nothing less from these particular people, so I wasn't surprised. It's like, come on, already? I have a few friends right now at Ground Zero who posted pictures of the celebration, wish I was there right now.
    Well why shouldn't he take credit, these ignorant FB cretins? As per the previous news link, the president himself made it a top priority to find this man, and he took it seriously enough that when credible intelligence popped up last August, he paid attention to it. And convened multiple security meetings to discuss this very issue, especially last month when they were probably narrowing the final hiding spot of the guy. And he ordered them to carry out the mission-just as he could have told them NOT to do anything. If the mission had failed, Obama would be criticized or it would have not garnered any notice from his detractors.

Yet it succeeded, so they think he's trying to hot all the glory. Never mind that he personally called Clinton and Bush first before telling the American public, a classy gesture and a nod to their efforts on their watch. If it had happened on Bush's watch, then he would get credit, on Clinton's, his. And so on and so forth (of course acknowledging that the real credit goes to the troops that carried out this mission, something any president would not hesitate to mention)

A*O

I don't think anyone seriously doubted he was in Pakistan all along and presumably under some kind of protection from the Govt there. I'm amazed that with the intelligence resources available it's taken almost 10 years to nail him but he's gone now. Unfortunately it won't stop the Islamic crazies continuing their worldwide jihad, in fact I anticipate some kind of retaliation so there's no room for complacency. They will try something for sure.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

(there's now pictures of his supposed body floating on the internet)

Bin Laden was found at luxurious Pakistan compound - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. forces finally found al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden not in the rugged mountains of Afghanistan's border, but in a million-dollar compound in an upscale suburb of Pakistan's capital, with his youngest wife, U.S. officials said early on Monday.

They were led to the fortress-like three-story building after more than four years tracking one of bin Laden's most trusted couriers, whom U.S. officials said was identified by men captured after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
    "Detainees also identified this man as one of the few al Qaeda couriers trusted by bin Laden. They indicated he might be living with or protected by bin Laden," a senior administration official said in a briefing for reporters.

Bin Laden was finally found -- more than 9-1/2 years after the 2001 attacks on the United States -- after authorities discovered in August 2010 that the courier lived with his brother and their families in an unusual and extremely high-security building, officials said.

"When we saw the compound where the brothers lived, we were shocked by what we saw: an extraordinarily unique compound," a senior administration official said.

"The bottom line of our collection and our analysis was that we had high confidence that the compound harbored a high-value terrorist target. The experts who worked this issue for years assessed that there was a strong probability that the terrorist who was hiding there was Osama bin Laden," another administration official said.

The home is in Abbotabad, a town about 35 miles north of Islamabad, that is relatively affluent and home to many retired members of Pakistan's military.
    The building, about eight times the size of other nearby houses, sat on a large plot of land that was relatively secluded when it was built in 2005. When it was constructed, it was on the outskirts of Abbotabad's center, at the end of a dirt road, but some other homes have been built nearby in the six years since it went up, officials said.

WALLS TOPPED WITH BARBED WIRE

Intense security measures included 12- to 18-foot outer walls topped with barbed wire and internal walls that sectioned off different parts of the compound, officials said. Two security gates restricted access, and residents burned their trash, rather than leaving it for collection as did their neighbors, officials said.

Few windows of the three-story home faced the outside of the compound, and a terrace had a seven-foot (2.1 meter) privacy wall, officials said.
    "It is also noteworthy that the property is valued at approximately $1 million but has no telephone or Internet service connected to it," an administration official said. "The brothers had no explainable source of wealth."
    U.S. analysts realized that a third family lived there in addition to the two brothers, and the age and makeup of the third family matched those of the relatives -- including his youngest wife -- they believed would be living with bin Laden.

"Everything we saw, the extremely elaborate operational security, the brothers' background and their behavior and the location of the compound itself was perfectly consistent with what our experts expected bin Laden's hide-out to look like," another Obama administration official said.
    A small U.S. team conducted a helicopter raid on the compound on Sunday afternoon, officials said. After 40 minutes of fighting, bin Laden and an adult son, one unidentified woman and two men -- identified as the courier and his brother -- were dead, officials said, and Obama was preparing a television address to the nation.

Abbotabad is a popular summer resort, located in a valley surrounded by green hills near Pakistani Kashmir. Islamist militants, particularly those fighting in Indian-controlled Kashmir, used to have training camps near the town.

I'm glad he's dead but I can't feel overjoyed about it. It just makes me think more of the thousands of innocent people that had to get killed in the illegal war. And I think this will make matters worse. There are plenty of people out there to take Osama's place and seek revenge. Sorry to be a debbie downer lol.

In 2007

BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama warns Pakistan on al-Qaeda

In 2008

[youtube]uw2XTC1V4fk[/youtube]

[youtube]ej8HpXcR6_s[/youtube]

[youtube]DkAEkA81TUA[/youtube]

Politics aside, President Obama should be given credit.

According to some experts, Bin Laden lived and was killed in the richest part of the city. And the secret services found it fishy, that there was no internet, no phone comunications in the borough.

edit: he is already buried in the ocean. I guess, he could reveal too much information which would be pretty telling for one or other American politican.
    Last edited by Deutsche; May 2nd, 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I'm glad he's dead but I can't feel overjoyed about it. It just makes me think more of the thousands of innocent people that had to get killed in the illegal war. And I think this will make matters worse. There are plenty of people out there to take Osama's place and seek revenge. Sorry to be a debbie downer lol.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk[/YOUTUBE]

In all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I am VERY happy that he's been dealt with and a chapter is closed, if you will, but I can't bring myself to actively celebrate anyone's death, it kind of makes me feel like I'd bring bad karma upon myself, no matter how evil that person is. I know to some people that's a weird way of looking at things, but it just makes me a bit uncomfortable. Not saying that other people should feel the way I do, there's no judgment in that at all - some of these celebrations look pretty fun and like I said before, I'd like to be there, so I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite But yeah, it is sobering. I do understand people taking a lot of joy in his death, but there's also a lot to reflect on. I'm not sure if I'm articulating this correctly because I'm tired.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hmmm.....

Official: Bin Laden buried at sea - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – A U.S. official says Osama bin Laden has been buried at sea.
    After bin Laden was killed in a raid by U.S. forces in Pakistan, senior administration officials said the body would be handled according to Islamic practice and tradition. That practice calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours, the official said. Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult, the official said. So the U.S. decided to bury him at sea.

The official, who spoke Monday on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national security matters, did not immediately say where that occurred.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I thought he was already dead as well. Glad people are getting the closure they need and feel the chapter is closed on this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    ^Honestly, I don't like that it occurred on his watch. The people who deserve the credit are the men and women who have fought or are fighting overseas. It belongs to the intelligence community that has made this their mission..
    A mission that was aborted at least twice by Prez Bush. Obama let the Intel Community finally do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I also think Bush was personally driven and committed to going after Osama
    Bullshit! Utter bullshit! Bush made a nominal effort for confronting bin Laden by invading Afghanistan in a half-assed way before diverting everything to Iraq (which was invaded for no reason.) Bush was NOT committed to getting bin Laden. Ex-intel chiefs have written half a dozen books now on how badly Bush handled the Afghan invasion and apprehending bin Laden. He just wasn't interested.

Are you writing fiction here for an agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche View Post
    This has been known for a long time now. As soon as Obama took office, the message to Pakistan changed. Now we know why he started playing tough, while Bush practically ignored Pakistan and let Musharrif handle things...very badly.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Bush ignored all the signals where Bin Laden was. Because he was in two wars at that time. Back to Pakistan: Musharaf was the only one who was really pro Western and invested a lot of money in the fight against terrorism in Pakistan but that country is so radicalised from deep down the youth and spread in so many tribes that it is not easy to be united against the terrorists.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information