Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Major U.S. news sources claiming Osama Bin Laden is dead

Good question actually. The short answer is yes because it would have happened sooner. I also think Bush was personally driven and committed to going after Osama because he was there to see the devastation first hand. Political parties aside, I would have liked to see him finish the job.

Again, don't mean to take away from the celebration. I was just offering up a, hopefully respectful, explanation of why I think credit will be misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Good question actually. The short answer is yes because it would have happened sooner. I also think Bush was personally driven and committed to going after Osama because he was there to see the devastation first hand. Political parties aside, I would have liked to see him finish the job.

Again, don't mean to take away from the celebration. I was just offering up a, hopefully respectful, explanation of why I think credit will be misplaced.
    interesting. although i think the exact opposite. i'm glad it didn't happen under his watch because it would have been used to improve his legacy and because it's one more thing republicans don't get to distort and politicise to use for their own gain.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, just like when Reagan got the credit for bringing the Iranian hostsges home.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thumbs up for justice at last, but goddamn the stupidity I am seeing. FB is going nuts with people who are all "Now, we can all feel safe at last!"
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I'm just pissed off at the fucking pettiness of people worried about who is going to get the credit. Its over, I think that shit can be sucked up. Its not like its never happened before that the guy who happens to be sitting in the chair at the right time gets the credit or the blame ffs.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Osama bin Laden dead: Al Qaida leader killed in CIA-led attack - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington— A CIA-led team killed Osama bin Laden at a compound inside Pakistan Sunday and recovered his body, bringing to a close the world's highest-profile manhunt after a decadelong search, President Obama announced to the world Sunday night.

"Justice has been done," the president said solemnly in a hastily arranged late-night TV address from the East Room of the White House. Bin Laden, he said, "murdered thousands of innocent men, women and children" and his death was "the most significant achievement to date" in the U.S. war against the Al Qaeda terrorist network that Bin Laden founded, led and inspired.

As described by the President and top administration officials, the successful effort to track down bin Laden centered on a man whom the officials described as a trusted courier for al Qaeda, a protégé of Khalid Sheik Muhammed, the operational mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Obama said that after he entered the White House in 2009, he had ordered CIA director Leon Panetta to make the killing or capture of Bin Laden the "top priority of our war against al Qaeda." Then, in August, he was briefed on "a possible lead" to the elusive terrorist's hiding place. "It took many months to run this thread to ground," he said.

By Friday, a senior White House official said, the evidence had become sufficiently certain that Obama was able to give the go-ahead for the operation.

After years of rumors that the world's most-wanted man was hiding in the caves and rugged redoubts of the Pakistan- Afghanistan border region, the CIA ultimately found him hiding in what officials described as a comfortable mansion surrounded by a high wall in a small town near Islamabad, Pakistan's capital.

On Sunday, a "small team" of Americans raided the compound. After a firefight, the president said, they killed Bin Laden. No Americans were injured in the raid.

Other officials said DNA tests had confirmed Bin Laden's identity.

One of my favorite week ends ever.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bush calls bin laden death "momentous achievement" - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time of the September 11 attacks and famously said he wanted Osama bin Laden dead or alive, on Sunday called the death of the al Qaeda leader a "momentous achievement."

President Barack Obama called Bush in Dallas at 9:04 p.m. central time to inform him that bin Laden was dead and they spoke for four minutes, a Bush spokesman said.

The September 11 attacks were a defining moment of Bush's presidency. He launched the war in Afghanistan and the hunt for bin Laden spanned the rest of his presidency.

"This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001," Bush said in a statement.

"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," he said.

(Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; Editing by Philip Barbara)

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Thumbs up for justice at last, but goddamn the stupidity I am seeing. FB is going nuts with people who are all "Now, we can all feel safe at last!"
    Feel safe at last? That's so dumb! If anything I feel scared. I fear the consequences of this, in the wikileaks it mentioned Al Qaeda will unleash a nuclear hellstorm if Osama bin Laden is killed or captured by the US. I don't know why anyone would feel safe, they forget that a lot of people still support Osama Bin Laden, and won't be too happy to see him dead, esp. by the US.

Osama Bin Laden dead - will Al Qaeda detonate nuclear bomb now, as threatened? - International Business Times

Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    Feel safe at last? That's so dumb! If anything I feel scared. I fear the consequences of this, in the wikileaks it mentioned Al Qaeda will unleash a nuclear hellstorm if Osama bin Laden is killed or captured by the US. I don't know why anyone would feel safe, they forget that a lot of people still support Osama Bin Laden, and won't be too happy to see him dead, esp. by the US.

Osama Bin Laden dead - will Al Qaeda detonate nuclear bomb now, as threatened? - International Business Times
    Not to mention there's 100,000 troops in Afghanistan alone. And it's the start of the spring taliban offensive. And they're using 12 year old suicide bombers now.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Bush calls bin laden death "momentous achievement" - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time of the September 11 attacks and famously said he wanted Osama bin Laden dead or alive, on Sunday called the death of the al Qaeda leader a "momentous achievement."

President Barack Obama called Bush in Dallas at 9:04 p.m. central time to inform him that bin Laden was dead and they spoke for four minutes, a Bush spokesman said.

The September 11 attacks were a defining moment of Bush's presidency. He launched the war in Afghanistan and the hunt for bin Laden spanned the rest of his presidency.

"This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001," Bush said in a statement.

"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," he said.

(Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; Editing by Philip Barbara)
    Thanks for posting, didn't see this report.

Comments on Yahoo are [mostly] dumb as usual.

Obama: Al-Qaida head bin Laden dead - Yahoo! News

U.S. officials said the helicopter raid in Pakistan was carried out by CIA paramilitaries together with the elite Navy SEAL Team Six. The U.S. team took custody of bin Laden's remains, which American officials said were being handled in accordance with Islamic tradition.

The death marks a psychological triumph in a long struggle, although its ultimate impact on al-Qaida is less clear.

The greatest terrorist threat to the U.S. is now considered to be the al-Qaida franchise in Yemen, far from al-Qaida's core in Pakistan. The Yemen branch almost took down a U.S.-bound airliner on Christmas 2009 and nearly detonated explosives aboard two U.S. cargo planes last fall. Those operations were carried out without any direct involvement from bin Laden.

Obama said he gave the order for the operation after receiving intelligence information that he did not further describe.

Bin Laden died in house near Pakistan's capital - Yahoo! News

SLAMABAD – Osama bin Laden was holed up in a two-story house 100 yards from a Pakistani military academy when four helicopters carrying U.S. anti-terror forces swooped in the early morning hours of Monday and killed him.

Flames rose Monday from the building that was the apparent target of the raid as it was confirmed that the world's most wanted fugitive died not in a cave, but in a town best known as a garrison for the Pakistani military. A U.S. official said one of bin Laden's sons was also killed in the raid alone with three others, but the official did not name the son or the others killed.

Pakistani officials and a witness said bin Laden's guards opened fire from the roof of the building, and one of the choppers crashed. The sound of at least two explosions rocked the small northwestern town of Abbottabad where the al-Qaida chief made his last stand. The U.S. said no Americans were harmed in the raid.

Abbottabad is home to at least one regiment of the Pakistani army, is dotted with military buildings and home to thousands of army personnel. Surrounded by hills and with mountains in the distance, it is less than half a days drive from the border region with Afghanistan, where most intelligence assessments believed bin Laden was holed up.

The news he was killed in an army town in Pakistan will raise more pointed questions of how he managed to evade capture and whether Pakistan's military and intelligence leadership knew of his whereabouts and sheltered him. Critics have long accused elements of Pakistan's security establishment of protecting bin Laden, though Islamabad has always denied this.

Abbotabad resident Mohammad Haroon Rasheed said the raid happened about 1:15 a.m. local time.

"I heard a thundering sound, followed by heavy firing. Then firing suddenly stopped. Then more thundering, then a big blast," he said. "In the morning when we went out to see what happened, some helicopter wreckage was lying in an open field."

He said the house was 100 meters (yards) away from the gate of the academy.

A Pakistani official in the town said fighters on the roof opened fire on the choppers as they came close to the building with rocket propelled grenades. Another official said four helicopters took off from the Ghazi air base in northwest Pakistan.

Last summer, the U.S. army was based in Ghazi to help out in the aftermath of the floods.

Women and children were taken into custody during the raid, he said.
    Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I'm just pissed off at the fucking pettiness of people worried about who is going to get the credit. Its over, I think that shit can be sucked up. Its not like its never happened before that the guy who happens to be sitting in the chair at the right time gets the credit or the blame ffs.
    I'm seeing a lot of this on Facebook as well. I don't care about your politics. Can't we just be glad that Bin Laden is now dead?

Former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time of the September 11 attacks and famously said he wanted Osama bin Laden dead or alive, on Sunday called the death of the al Qaeda leader a "momentous achievement."
    Oh come on. Who are they trying to fool here ? Bush himself could have rolled in the 'success' of finding Bin Laden in 2006.

French Documentary documents how bin Laden was almost caught. | Documentary Films .NET

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information