Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree613Likes

Thread: Live US Election 2012 Thread

^^^^
    but don't you think someone so adamant about increasing military spending and starting new wars would be keen to serve and have his sons serve as well?
    besides, doesn't make any of the rest of the article any less true...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Military spending is another area where both sides are full of shit.

Obama is increasing military spending. he did cut the Pentagon's share 2.5%- but that's just part of our military spending. Washington is excellent at shady accounting. They disguise 'cuts' as being from the previous budgets when in fact they are cuts from the bloated CBO baseline projections. They reduce projected military spending, not actual spending.

The military industrial complex isn't giving up their share, regardless of the party is in power. 5% of the worlds population, 50% of the worlds military spending. Cha-ching!
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; November 12th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Seapharris7 and Mel1973 like this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    but don't you think someone so adamant about increasing military spending and starting new wars would be keen to serve and have his sons serve as well?
    besides, doesn't make any of the rest of the article any less true...
    I definitely see your point, but that doesn't bother me too much. And I know that it doesn't count for some people, but they all do missions which is public service. Not that I would EVER compare a Mormon mission to military service. However, I do think his reasoning of "they were helping the country by helping me get elected" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And I thought Obama had a huge ego. Yes, I'm a member of the "I hate them both" club.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    He could always file for unemployment.
    FREELOADER! Get a job and stop feeling entitled to stuff you don't deserve. You're an embarrassment to the country!

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    He lost me when he got to the military piece. I don't like Romney, but until someone
    can tell me about Obama's exemplary military record, I'm done hearing about it.
    Romney was born in 1947, thus eligible to serve in VietNam. He chose to do a missionary stint in France instead of enlisting into the military or registering for the draft; he now doesn't get the right to regret not participating, and I have read that he has stated this. Obama, born in 1961, wasn't quite eligible for the draft.
    sputnik, McJag, olivia and 2 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Kind of a sidenote... I come from a military proud family - at least the grandparents sides who all served in the Army/Navy/Marines in Korea. I saw some documentaries on Vietnam, and I dont blame ANYONE for avoiding that war - the turmoil the entire nation went through during that time seemed unreal. Not saying any war is better or worse than another, but Vietnam was brought into the homes nightly - after a while Americans had a lot better of an understanding how bad it was over there than any war prior. My father was in Middle school during the early 70s & was scared shitless about being drafted.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

I got in to a huge fight with my brother yesterday over the election. He called me a piece of shit for voting for Obama.

Got to love politics.

ETA: I'm thinking of making collard greens for Thanksgiving just to watch his fucking head explode.
    Last edited by Wilson; November 12th, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Could be worse.....

Woman Blames Husband for Obama’s Reelection, Runs Him Over with Her Jeep

Upset over the result of last week's presidential election, an Arizona woman ran over her husband with her car, believing him to be directly responsible for Obama's reelection because he didn't vote.

According to police in Gilbert, 28-year-old Holly Solomon of Mesa and her husband Daniel argued loudly in a local parking lot before Holly got in her Jeep SUV and began chasing Daniel around. She eventually managed to pin him underneath the vehicle as he was trying to run away.

Daniel sustained life-threatening injuries and was rushed to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center where he remains in critical condition.

"According to Daniel, Holly believed her family was going to face hardship as a result of President Obama's re-election," Gilbert police Sergeant Jesse Sanger said in a statement.

Daniel's presidential preference likely wouldn't have mattered much to Romney: He won Arizona by a margin of some 200,000 votes.

Holly was booked on charges of domestic violence charges of aggravated assault. Shockingly, neither alcohol nor drugs were listed as contributing factors.

Woman Blames Husband for Obama's Reelection, Runs Him Over with Her Jeep

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I hope divorce is in their future.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post
    Kind of a sidenote... I come from a military proud family - at least the grandparents sides who all served in the Army/Navy/Marines in Korea. I saw some documentaries on Vietnam, and I dont blame ANYONE for avoiding that war - the turmoil the entire nation went through during that time seemed unreal. Not saying any war is better or worse than another, but Vietnam was brought into the homes nightly - after a while Americans had a lot better of an understanding how bad it was over there than any war prior. My father was in Middle school during the early 70s & was scared shitless about being drafted.
    My Grandpa was a WWII vet. My dad worked to avoid Vietnam also. He enlisted in the Army Reserve, so he could do his 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks per year. My FIL's mother wrote a letter stating since he was the only boy, the family name would die out with him. A lot of people did what they could to avoid going to Vietnam.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Holly was booked on charges of domestic violence charges of aggravated assault.
    All that and not even 'attempted murder', geez.

But while he was avoiding the draft (if I remember correctly, at that time, only sons and fathers were assigned 4F), did he protest in favor of the war? Mr. Romney did.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

But Obama won the popular vote by 3.35 million, and she thinks her husband's one vote was worth that much? Rilly?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    My Grandpa was a WWII vet. My dad worked to avoid Vietnam also. He enlisted in the Army Reserve, so he could do his 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks per year. My FIL's mother wrote a letter stating since he was the only boy, the family name would die out with him. A lot of people did what they could to avoid going to Vietnam.
    That reminds me, when my dad was about 18, he made one of the best decisions of his life. He enlisted in the Navy at the start of the Korean War (his brothers had both served at the end of WW2). I think he did it because he knew that serving in the Navy would be the place where you would have the least chance of being blown up or shot. On the week that he entered into the Navy, a draft notice for the Army arrived at his parents' house. His mother had to go down to the draft board and explain that he wasn't showing up because he was already in the military.

My dad did not see any action during his tour of duty and the only guy on his ship who died was someone who fell off of some scaffolding while painting it. He did, however, when he was stateside, walk through Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC when a bunch of Army infantry had been admitted. They had seen action in Chosin Reservoir -- where they had been stranded in sub freezing conditions while battling the Chinese (who had spilled over the boarder when the US went into North Korea). He said there were beds full of guys with black (gangrene) feet and toes waiting for amputations. Horrible.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post
    I don't blame anyone for avoiding it, although I prefer if they also had the guts to admit that's what they were doing, and if they thought it was an unjust war, to protest it.

The Vietnam War disproportionately affected people on the lower socioeconomic rungs. If you were rich or connected, you could avoid it in a number of ways. And if you went to college, you got a deferment and could hope that war ended before you finished (eg, my brother). Keep in mind that college was not necessarily a given at that time for many or maybe even most people. We saw those pictures of dead soldiers every night on the news, but not many of them came from La Jolla, that's for sure.

So yeah, I blame no one for avoiding if they could, but they should have the balls to be honest about it. Poor John Kerry, he went even though he could have avoided it, had the decency to protest it, and then got swift-boated for his troubles.

I believe Bill Clinton is someone who did everything he could to avoid serving, but also stayed away from protests because he thought it might affect his future career in politics.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Thread Information