Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree613Likes

Thread: Live US Election 2012 Thread

Our voting system is flawed too (aren't they all?) but we have preferences so if I vote 1 Greens my vote goes to them but they then pass my vote on to the Labor party which is the nominal left party although they're centre/right but marginally left of the conservative Liberal party. So if the Greens only win a few seats and places in the Senate, I don't feel as though my vote goes to waste.
    SuriCruise likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    And that's fine, because you have the right to make the choice. Everyone can vote as they choose, or choose not to vote at all if they so desire.

But I fundamentally disagree with the school of thought that people are throwing their vote away if they vote outside the two main parties. Quite a few major things in the US exist today because 3rd parties made them issues, and the main parties saw that these ideas had strong support, so they co-opted them. Without people who were willing to vote 3rd party and 'throw away' votes we wouldn't have them.

And i also disagree with the thoughts that the dems are protecting democracy. The threatening and punishing of whistle blowers - particularly those exposing war crimes - and massive eavesdropping and unconstitutional warrants to harass, detain and search the property of citizens doing nothing illegal, the 'disposition matrix', detention without charge, this is our current reality. Along with unregulated fracking and growth of poisonous, GMO roundup crops, poisonous factory farming, and a still unregulated Wall Street, just to name a few. This isn't the Democratic party I knew, but a heightening of the Bush agenda using Obama as a front for the continued advance of militant global corporatism with a likeable frontman as President to help make the raping and pillaging more palatable.
    I do agree about how voting for a third party is not throwing away a vote - I don't even like the phrase which is why I put it in quotes. I wasn't explaining myself very well, because I don't believe any vote is a throw away vote. I've been giving a lot of thought about what you'd said earlier in the thread about how third party votes get certain points across and those votes lead to social reforms that were subsequently adopted by mainstream parties. I have been more than tempted to vote third party or write-in since the 2000 election (at least). I am absolutely sure that one day I will vote third party, or write-in, but in the last elections I (personally, in the sense that it's what my gut told me to do) felt compelled to vote "against" someone. To be honest, it does make me literally ill, and I know if things are going to go to hell, I have that vote and myself to blame. And everything that comes along with it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Sorry about the double post, but I'm having issues with quoting/editing.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    My parents hired some Mormon babysitters for us when they went on vacation once. So I've been inside a Mormon temple and seen their services. I guess because we were just kids, they let us in. Frankly, it was a blast hanging out with them all weekend - everything is family oriented and everyone was busy in such a positive way. I can see the attraction.

I've been approached by white shirts and always talk to them. They are always so relieved that someone isn't rebuffing them. We have a nice visit. I don't argue or challenge them, just say I'm very happy with my own (non)beliefs.
    That does sound like a lot of fun. TBH, I'm kind of curious about the inside of the temple - probably because it's off limits and I'm like that. LOL That's what my Mormon friend and her family are like - they are always doing something, even when they're relaxing. The people I know are not particularly judgmental, they go about their business, they don't drink and that sort of thing. Just nice, respectful people.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I doubt it was your intention, but your words come across as very judgemental. Show me one President who has not committed heinous shit in our names. There are none. Each President has done something that some group finds to be henious. No one has asked you to apologize for any of your votes. IMO no one should be told they should be ashamed for how they voted either.
    This is very true. (Which is also why I keep going on about what I'm willing to have on my conscience - no matter who I'm going to choose, there's going to be some blood on my hands.)
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Fucking Florida.

Dems claim presidential victory in Florida; Romney won't concede

Florida still has not declared who won the presidential race in the state as ballots are counted in South Florida.
    AP file

By TAMARA LUSH and TONY WINTON / The Associated Press

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 22:22 PM.

MIAMI Florida Democrats claimed a victory in the presidential race on Thursday even as election supervisors were still counting votes and the margin between President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney remained tight.
    The party issued a statement Thursday saying they had won Florida. The Associated Press has not declared a winner because the contest is too close to call.
    Obama led Romney 49.9 percent to 49.3 percent, or by about 52,000 votes. Obama won the White House even though Florida is still undecided.
    The Romney campaign and the Republican National Committee said they are waiting for the state to finish its count, which includes thousands of provisional ballots.
    Florida is still undecided largely due to long voting lines on election night, a deluge of last-minute absentee ballots and other assorted problems.
    Rod Smith, chairman of the Florida Democrats, attacked Florida Gov. Rick Scott a Republican for refusing to extend early voting hours, saying it was "a serious mistake that should and must be corrected."
    The race results were so close that they could trigger a recount, bringing back memories of the 2000 election, though this time, the votes would hardly matter.
    Under Florida law, the state's secretary of state could order a recount if Obama's lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney finished below a half-percentage point. A manual recount could be ordered if that recount ended below a quarter-percentage point. On Thursday, Obama led Romney 49.9 percent to 49.3 percent about 9,000 votes over the recount threshold.
    Romney's campaign could waive the recount.
    Secretary of state spokesman Chris Cate said it was unclear how much a recount would cost taxpayers.
    Miami-Dade County suffered the bulk of glitches and long lines, with some voters waiting until 1:30 a.m. Wednesday to cast their ballot. The county's supervisor of elections, Penelope Townsley, said she was aware of the criticism of how her office handled the election.
    "I think Miami-Dade County conducted a very good election," she said Thursday. "Am I embarrassed or disappointed by some of the things that happened? Absolutely. But, I have to focus on simply getting it right. And that is exactly what I will move to do."
    Officials vowed to figure out why lines were so long; some speculated it was the length of the ballot (there were 12 statewide constitutional amendments) while others blamed the reduction of early voting days from 14 to eight by the Republican-controlled Florida Legislature.
    The long lines prompted frustrated residents like Jorge Lopez-Bernal to call the state "a joke."
    Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez asserted: "this is not a third-world country."
    "The waits were way too far," Gimenez said. "And we've got to get some answers as to what happened. Why? Why wasn't it foreseen?"
    Gimenez said he would ask Gov. Rick Scott to extend early voting hours in future elections.
    Scott didn't return calls on Thursday about the voting problems from the AP. On Wednesday, he said he was willing to look at whether changes are needed to make voting go smoother.
    Scott came under a barrage of criticism after he refused to use his emergency powers to extend the number of days of early voting.
    Scott said he will sit down with state election officials soon to discuss ways to improve the election.
    Another cause of the vote logjam was absentee ballots and the fact that voters had until 7 p.m. Tuesday to drop them off.

Officials in several counties said voters handed in the sealed envelopes containing the ballots shortly before polls closed Tuesday evening, and elections workers needed to verify the signatures and run the ballots through the voting machines. In Pinellas County, there were about 9,000 such ballots and it took most of the day Wednesday to process them.

Dems claim presidential victory in Florida; Romney won't concede - Government - The News Herald
    sluce likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

give it up mittens.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Sorry about the double post, but I'm having issues with quoting/editing.

me too. when i try to edit an articles i post they get screwed up, sometimes if i try to quote it doesn't work, and i HATE the new emoticons

I get what you're saying about the vote, and I didn't mean to seem if I thought you specifically were saying throw away vote. I meant it as more of an in general thing.
    Waterslide likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I fucking hate Gov Rick Scott so hard.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

How does it work having the polls on a weekday? Does everyone get time off work to vote, or is it a public holiday? Our elections are always held on a Saturday and it's paper voting only (but then our population is only about 22 million).

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    me too. when i try to edit an articles i post they get screwed up, sometimes if i try to quote it doesn't work, and i HATE the new emoticons

I get what you're saying about the vote, and I didn't mean to seem if I thought you specifically were saying throw away vote. I meant it as more of an in general thing.
    ^OK, I get what you're saying, I'm never sure that my thinking out loud translates into something intelligible. Sometimes I say things in passing that unintentionally sound like some grand pronouncement.

I hate the new emoticons too. Especially the rolling eye one. I don't trust it. And I can't ever fix articles that go all crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    How does it work having the polls on a weekday? Does everyone get time off work to vote, or is it a public holiday? Our elections are always held on a Saturday and it's paper voting only (but then our population is only about 22 million).
    People can vote starting at 6 am and they usually close sometime after people would normally get off work. Most people do that, or go on their lunchbreaks. If you can't do that, you can vote early (like Barack Obama did).

^ that was one of my favorites, and the winking one. now they blow.

Election day is not a national holiday, if you can believe it. In my area the schools close though, many polling places are in school buildings. Banks are open, we get mail, the stock market is trading....
    Waterslide likes this.

Our elections are on Tuesdays. No its not a holiday and no we don't get time off work, you have to do it on your own time.

Some employers are nice enough to offer an hour or two on election day for you to go vote, but that's not common.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Our federal elections are on the first Tuesday of November. No, we don't get time off from work or any other incentive to vote. A lot of kids get the day off since many polls are set up in schools.

That would suck, the best part about election day here is checking out the cake stalls they set up outside the polling booths and we wouldn't have those if everyone had to work. I can't wait for the next election - chocolate crackles!

ETA: I can understand why people don't bother to vote, if you had to do it in your own time outside work hours I'm sure a lot of people actually want to vote but don't get the opportunity. I would think that's undemocratic.
    Last edited by faithanne; November 9th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Public schools are closed and typically used as polling places. In our case, it was the local high school, which is 1/4 mile up the road. Polls opened at about 7 am, so a lot of people could come in before work to vote. My wife's employer allowed people to bill up to two hours of voting time to a special account number if they needed it. We took our kids with us to the voting booths, which is allowed where we are. So, they got a chance to watch how the process worked.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

Such a great man.
    Brookie, angelais and Wilson like this.

Thread Information