Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Like Tree613Likes

Thread: Live US Election 2012 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    These people are pigs; I won't post the actual tweets because they are supremely racist and offensive.
    Come on now: quit playing the race card. We all know there is no more racism in the US! <sarcasm>
    BITTER likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

The observation I made wasn't an attack either. Perhaps you implied a different tone than I intended. I'm truly shocked at how insulting people have been towards others who don't share their same belief. (Both sides) I get that it's mostly in jest but with this specific election I feel like people are more excited that the Republicans lost than that Obama actually won. I don't know if i'm putting it into words effectively.. it's just a strange phenomenon. In 2008 I think people were truly excited for the possibilities..now we just hate the other guys.
    Well, that is how a lot of people feel...my primary 'mission' in voting was not to let an anti-woman Republican agenda go forward. Mitt has been pretty clear (for him, anyway) where he stands on abortion and his plans to de-fund planned parenthood. His comments about women and gay people are positively antediluvian--and there is every reason to think his comments reflect deeply held beliefs, not just his usual pandering. I have 2 daughters and I don't want them to grow up/enter adulthood with fewer freedoms and advantages than I had. Not to mention the fact that I live in Massachusetts and I have seen Mitt in action. He was not a very effective governor, and he did a lot of the same etch-a-sketching with his stances even then. And he wants to magically cut taxes while building up the military so we can have more wars. There is nothing to make me think that he'd be 'better' than Obama in any sense, and plenty to make me think he'd be worse, maybe even far worse. Why would I vote for Mitt? To punish Obama?

I could have voted for a third-party candidate or just abstained, but I would not have taken the risk of Mitt winning.

The GOP needs to shake the etch-a-sketch and get a clue. They let some extremists frighten independent and/or persuadable Democrats away from their entire ticket.

I get that not everyone shares my beliefs and I don't think people who voted for Mitt are necessarily stupid. I just don't think he was ever a very good candidate and I think most Republicans know that too.
    laynes, Quazar and Tati like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yes he inherited a mess but why does everyone here - and america in general - forget that there is this thing called the world economy, of which the us economy is a part of? and the world economy sucks ass big time right now, europe is in the shitter, china is heading for a possible standstill, etc, etc... and yet everyone seems to think that the president of the US can fix the economy as if by magic. as if the US economy weren't totally dependant on the rest of the world... the US doesn't exist in a vacuum.
    Because there is nothing beyond the American borders. The US IS the whole world. The rest of us don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    No..You have company. Voted for him in 08....couldn't do it again.

Question for those of you who voted for and are happy Obama won. Were you voting for him because you actually think he's a good and effective President or was it just a vote against Mitt Romney and the others?
    I voted for this:

Obama kept us out of a second Great Depression.
    Obama passed health care reform, the most important reform since Medicare and Social Security.
    Obama promoted an economic stimulus program which saved many jobs of public service workers and started economic revival.
    Obama saved Americaís auto industry.
    Obama ended Donít Ask, Donít Tell against gays in the military.
    Obama promoted sweeping financial industry reform.
    Obama greatly improved benefits for veterans in our military.
    Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act for women.
    Obama presided over the creation of over 5 million private sector jobs in his first term.
    Obama brought about tax cuts for 3.5 million small businesses.
    Obama promoted tax cuts for the middle class, in their weekly paychecks.
    Obama appointed two women to the Supreme Court.
    Obama signed the legislation creating the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
    Obama reformed the student loan program, and improved Pell Grants for higher education.
    Obama extended unemployment benefits to those out of work for longer periods of time.
    Obama promoted embryonic stem research on disease prevention and cures.
    Obama invested funding in clean energy and scientific research.
    Obama signed a bill to provide health care to 11 million children.
    Obama provided health care coverage to age 26, and arranged for coverage of pre-existing medical conditions for people of any age.
    Obama cut prescription drug costs for senior citizens by 50 percent.
    Obama promoted legislation and executive orders to improve the environment.
    Obama supported gay marriage rights, and the passage of hate crimes laws on basis of sexual orientation.
    Obama repaired our international image with our allies, and respect from our rivals in the world.
    Obama signed nuclear arms reduction agreement with Russia.
    Obama ended the war in Iraq.
    Obama has set a 2014 deadline for withdrawal from Afghanistan.
    Obama helped to liberate Libya from Moammar Gaddafiís dictatorship.
    Obama gave IRON DOME missile system to Israel to protect against attacks.
    Obama has been willing to defend us against terrorist attacks in America and overseas.
    Obama was able to eliminate Osama Bin Laden and other Al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists.
    Obama was able to save a ship crew from Somali pirates.

And my own personal reason, I subscribe to Einstein's definition of insanity. The biggest lie perpetrated on the American public is that republicans are fiscally responsible. There is no evidence and no policy that they have pursued since 1980 that bears that out.
    Seth82, *DIVA!, Mivvi21 and 16 others like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm a realist. i don't agree wtih a lot of obama's policies either but america is never going to elect a true leftist. it's just not in the cultural dna.

I'm not young enough to think we'd get a real leftist. I'd settle for someone who isn't to the right of Nixon.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; November 7th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I have to say that I love the response MontanaMama just provided. It shows that she's actually paying attention to what's going on. I wouldn't even care if she had voted for Romney simply because she could give an intelligent answer as to why she did so. A couple of days ago, I listened to a video of a guy interviewing Romney supporters. He asked one guy why he was voting for Romney and the guy replied, "Because he has a plan!" When the interviewer asked what that plan was, the guy admitted he didn't know. *sigh*

Of course, I don't think even Romney knew what Romney's plan was. He seemed to spend most of his campaign talking and talking and not saying anything.
    *DIVA! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Womens rights. He could never put me in his binder full of women. He is also a Mormon. I would vote for a Scientologist first,at least they give some value to women,even if vague. They are no high ranking Mormon women. They are home producing kids and sweeping floors. Not gonna happen.

My cousins daughter married a Mormon. She wasn't allowed to attend the wedding,nor of her granddaughter 20 years later. Family values? Really. She grieved right up until her death.
    Secrecy? No on gets in their church. You can go to a Baptist,Methodist,Catholic or Jewish Synagogue any time.

God only knows how he would have fixed the Supreme Court. God never gave him the chance.

Now this is unfair I will admit, but I had visions of the Secret Service agents being sent door-to-door to convert the masses. They look/dress just like the Mormon Missionaries that are proud of trying to force their religion on any hapless person answering their own door. No other religion ( except Jehovah's Witness) has a total disrespect of anyone of a different faith and on a world wide basis. Romney said those were the best years of his life.

I also think Bush (who took over with a balanced budget) left us in a total mess that will take decades to recover. He is the reason I had to take a buy-out from a job I loved. I will not forget that.
    I did not expect any president to fix it in four years. He has made some progress at least.
    Believe it or not, Mormons vary. I know/have known several Mormon women who rule the roost at home, and have careers. I've even known some who felt that other Mormon women looked down on them for being SAHMs. Plenty of the men respect their wives and support them whether they seek a career or stay at home producing kids and sweeping floors.

Yes, the Mormon church is undeniably sexist. They are secretive, and trying to convert everyone is obnoxious. I'll admit to making fun of the special underwear. But I don't assume every Mormon follower holds opinions and beliefs that reflect the leadership or behave exactly as the higher-ups dictate. And I will not decline to vote for someone based on his religion-- that's bigotry. I will decide based on where he stands on issues that are important to me. It may be that a candidate's religion influences his policies in ways that are unacceptable to me, but I would still be voting based on his policies and not his religion.

I'm not interested in defending Romney, but you used one sentence on his politics and three paragraphs on his religion. I have a problem with that.

I will vouch all that MM stated.

I was a Republican when I was a fresh new voter. My family were all republicans as I grew up. The party has changed so much. Actually - the world has changed so much and the Republican party has stood still. They are still stuck in the Mad Men era and want a world run by Don Drapers. Problem for them is that rich, white men are becoming the minority and they are ill prepared. I like to say that I did not leave the Republican party. They left me. They told me I was a second class citizen each time they refused to protect my rights as a woman.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

there actually have been a couple of LDS women treasurers of the US, quite a few politicians, even some prominent suffragists were mormons. they aren't all sitting home mopping.

and our new emoticons completely blow.
    Ravenna likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gold Member

I was willing to give Romney a chance, I really was. But then I read about the flip-flopping, and his ridiculous lurch to the right - the far right - he went so far to the right he was to the right of idiots like Rick Perry and Rick Santorum on most issues.

I refused to vote for Romney because I don't know who the hell the real Romney is or was. He decided to align himself with the trogoldyte base of his party and allowed surrogates like Donald Trump and John Sununu of the most awful-race-based shit imaginable. No way that should be rewarded.

Also, Romney never laid out in detail what he would do to get the country back and track.

I'm not Obama's biggest fan - but for me the decision yesterday was a no-brainer. Hopefully 2nd term Obama will put in place the stuff he wanted to in his first term but was too gun-shy of the electorate to do it. Also, what MontanaMama said - she laid out a pretty good pro-Obama case.
    Brookie likes this.

IMO, I think the Republicans have alienated so many minorities and their own moderate base that they'll never "get with the times" and have a chance. They're stuck in their own world (ie: their ass) and can't see anything past their outdated social stance. A lot of people, regardless of their faith/gender/race/sexuality/etc are done with the fear-mongering and the half-assed theocratic wannabe bullshit the right-wing dolls out.

Plus most Republicans are fucking hypocrites, claiming that black people voted for Obama because he's black. I bet nearly all the white Republicans voted for Mittens cause he's white, that being their #1 reason. They can cry and kiss my Puerto-Rican ass for all I care.

And a cute ass it is.

I'm black and I voted for a white chick. Wonder how they would spin that?
    Mel1973 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I watched Frontline--The Choice on PBS, which profiled both Obama and Romney, their upbringing, and what defined them. It was very eye opening for me because I felt I understood Romney better. Not that I would have voted for him, or like him, but had an understanding. Mitt wanted to be President. Period. He did and said whatever he needs to in order to achieve that. He has to win some sort of office, so he switches to pro choice but no one in Mass. will win if they are pro life. He came up with Romneycare because it thought it would put him on the national map and create a legacy. When it turned out everyone was against it, he again changed his stance to accommodate public opinion. I really didn't feel that Romney was going to repeal Roe v. Wade, because he's not going to go against public opinion.

I did caucus for Obama and even volunteered for him in 08. I had no illusion that he was going to fix things in 4 years. I do appreciate that Obama did say during the debate, "Some of those jobs (that were lost) are never coming back." I agree with him. I don't think things will ever be the same, as they used to be. There will eventually be a recovery, but I can't say with any confidence that there will be the bustling prosperty like the early-mid 2000's. I think it's a different world, and whoever thinks it will go back to the way it was is kidding themselves.

I like the ideas of some things on the Republican platform, but they have many issues that are just deal breakers for me. 1)I don't like that their party is ruled by evanglical christians. Not everyone is christian, and I really think it goes against the constitution to force the rules of one religion onto everyone. 2)I don't like the attack on women. My foremothers faught for years for control of our reproductive rights, I am not about to take it away from them. 3)I am also confused by their stance that anyone who's not Republican are mooching freeloaders, and they perpetuate and promote this opinion. Where the fuck does that come from? And I hear this from people I know. "this lady bought her Doritos and Mountain Dew with her food card, but paid cash for her cigarettes..." and then there's a huge rant on how their tax dollars are paying for this "scumbag lady who can't get a job." I don't get it. You're pissed off at some poor shlub buying Doritos with their food card, but not pissed off that the oil industry gets a $24 billion tax credit, while making 80 billion in profits? THAT pisses me off.

Until Republicans can solve those issues, I just can't vote for them.
    Janet296, laynes and Tati like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    there actually have been a couple of LDS women treasurers of the US, quite a few politicians, even some prominent suffragists were mormons. they aren't all sitting home mopping.

and our new emoticons completely blow.
    I need some sleep. At quick glance, I read WCGs post as:

there actually have been a couple of women on LSD, treasurers of the US, quite a few politicians, even some prominent suffragists were mormons. they aren't all sitting home mopping.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

That's okay, sluce - I read it as "they aren't all sitting home MOPING."
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information