Login to remove the ads!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Limbaugh Doubles Down Sexist Attack Against Sandra Fluke, Demands She Post Sex Tape

1. Maher is a woman-hating, narcissistic cunt and always has been.

2. Many of those quotes that are supposed to show misogyny by left-wing commentators have nothing to do with sex. Personal insults, sure, but many aren't gender-based.

3. Obviously, Rush hates women and always has. I believe that is absolutely true. But he has been heard saying he's an entertainer and even that "Rush" is a character ... I think he knew exactly what he was doing with his 3 days of inflammatory, near-profane ranting against a college student. It's in his best interest for Obama to get re-elected. He's in the opposition business, not the complacency business, right? So why not get the left all riled up and mobilized while embarrassing the GOP, and in the process gain even more attention for himself? Win-win!

The article that called it trolling hit the closest to the mark for me. He knew this would be a shitstorm, and that's exactly what he wanted. Even temporary loss of some sponsorships don't really hit him where he lives, and that's Attention-Whoresville, population Rush.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

[QUOTE=MohandasKGanja;2667237]I don't like the comparison of Limbaugh's miosgynistic oeuvre with Olbermann, Maher, Schultz, Matthews, et al.

QUOTE]

Misogyny is misogyny, period. What is with this shades of gray bullshit? Is that like it's not rape, it's rape rape? Just because they have a "D" after their name doesn't mean they are exempt from being douchbag assholes.

Having said that, I don't find criticizing women in the political ring necessarily misogynistic. Saying Palin is an idiot isn't some man trying to keep a woman down, it's the truth. It's like saying any critique of Obama is rascist.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post

Misogyny is misogyny, period. What is with this shades of gray bullshit? Is that like it's not rape, it's rape rape? Just because they have a "D" after their name doesn't mean they are exempt from being douchbag assholes.

H
    Who said there were shades of gray? A misogynistic statement is a misogynistic statement. I said they should have been suspended. Is Limbaugh being suspended despite committing a more egregious three-day rant in which he used a combination of either prostitute or slut to describe Fluke 52 times? No, he is not.

Limbaugh's offensive statements against women run into the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    Petition for Clear Channel to discontinue Rush's show. They are close to 350K signatures now:

SignOn.org Beta - Clear Channel: Discontinue Rush Limbaugh's radio talk show.
    They keep busting through their targets and there are over 410,000 signatures now.

Poor Rush - always the victim of those damned liberals at the other networks.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...rythings-cool/

Rush Limbaugh: Over 40 Advertisers Flee, Host Says ‘Everything’s Cool’

Talk show host Rush Limbaugh sought to reassure listeners Wednesday after the tally of local and national companies that have pulled their advertisements from his time slot topped 40, insisting that the show will go on and that the program is not losing revenue from the exodus.

At last count, 42 advertisers, two radio stations and two musicians have closed the door on Limbaugh following incendiary comments he made last week about a Georgetown law student who testified before Congress in favor of having birth control covered under insurance plans.

Limbaugh called the student, Sandra Fluke, a “slut” and a “prostitute.” The conservative commentator apologized for his “insulting” comments in a statement posted to his website on Saturday and again on his radio show Monday.

Despite the apology, which Fluke said she did not think “changes anything,” customers and listeners have taken to social media to inundate advertisers, stations and sponsors of Limbaugh’s show with calls to boycott Limbaugh.

Limbaugh told his listeners today that “everything’s cool,” noting that many of the advertisers that have yanked their support are local and thus have little if any impact on the show’s revenues.

“Nobody is losing money here, including us, in all this,” Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday. “[The advertisers] are not canceling the business on our stations. They’re just saying they don’t want their spots to appear in my show. We don’t get any revenue from ‘em anyway. The whole effort is to dispirit you.”

The conservative commentator estimated that as many as 18,000 companies could be advertising on any one of the 600 or so stations that broadcast his three-hour radio program.

“ABC News, who understands how this works and are purposely misrepresenting it, is out there ballyhooing that we have lost 28 sponsors,” Limbaugh said. “Twenty-eight sponsors out of 18,000! That’s like losing a couple of french fries in the container when it’s delivered to you at the drive-thru. You don’t even notice it.”

While he would not name companies, Limbaugh said three new sponsors have signed onto his show in the past two weeks.

“None of what’s happening is out of the ordinary,” Limbaugh said. “It’s just part of an onslaught to try to convince you that this show’s history and our days are numbered. And I’m happy to tell you nothing could be further from the truth.”

Here is the list of confirmed companies who have officially pulled their advertisements from the Rush Limbaugh radio show.
    1.Service Magic home contractor
    2.Hadeed Carpets
    3.Accuquote Life Insurance
    4.Vitacost vitamin supplier
    5.Bonobos clothing company
    6.Sensa weight- loss program
    7.Thompson Creek Windows
    8.AOL
    9.Tax Resolution Services
    10.ProFlowers
    11.Legal Zoom online document creator
    12.Carbonite web security firm
    13.Citrix software maker
    14.Sleep Train Mattresses
    15.Sleep Number mattresses
    16.Quicken Loans
    17.Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington
    18.Cascades Dental
    19.Consolidated Credit Counseling Services
    20.Constant Contact email marketing firm
    21.Philadelphia Orchestra
    22.Reputation Rhino online reputation consulting firm
    23.St. Vincent’s Medical Center
    24.Cunningham Security
    25.Regal Assets precious medal investment group
    26.Freedom Debt Relief
    27.Norway Savings Bank
    28.Portland Ovations performing arts center
    29.Stamps.com

These companies say their ads were mistakenly run during Limbaugh’s program and have contacted radio stations and media buyers to ensure their ads do not run during his program again.

1.JCPenney
    2.Capital One
    3.Goodwill
    4.Geico
    5.Sears
    6.PolyCom web conferencing
    7.Matrix Direct
    8.Netflix

The following companies said they did not intentionally have their ads run during Limbaugh’s show, but are also not specifically taking steps to remove the ads from his time slot.

1.John Deere
    2.Bethesda Sedation Dentistry
    3.Amberen menopause medication

Other news outlets have reported that the following companies have pulled their advertisements. ABC News is working to confirm.

1.Downeast Energy in Maine
    2.RSVP Discount Beverage of Portland, Maine (declined to comment to ABC whether they had pulled their ads)
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    1. Maher is a woman-hating, narcissistic cunt and always has been.

2. Many of those quotes that are supposed to show misogyny by left-wing commentators have nothing to do with sex. Personal insults, sure, but many aren't gender-based.

3. Obviously, Rush hates women and always has. I believe that is absolutely true. But he has been heard saying he's an entertainer and even that "Rush" is a character ... I think he knew exactly what he was doing with his 3 days of inflammatory, near-profane ranting against a college student. It's in his best interest for Obama to get re-elected. He's in the opposition business, not the complacency business, right? So why not get the left all riled up and mobilized while embarrassing the GOP, and in the process gain even more attention for himself? Win-win!

The article that called it trolling hit the closest to the mark for me. He knew this would be a shitstorm, and that's exactly what he wanted. Even temporary loss of some sponsorships don't really hit him where he lives, and that's Attention-Whoresville, population Rush.
    All of this times a billion.

Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Blog Entries

Fuck you right back, Bill Maher. Can't believe I ever thought you were cool. *headslap*
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

“The tactic of just asking advertisers has been a very successful one,” said Krystal Ball, a 30-year-old MSNBC commentator who started a website called boycottrush.org.
    Seriously? Were her parents gypsies?
    South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2014 Premiers! Glory Glory #21

#
    408 #Forever63NotOut

LOOK HOW FRESH MY SUIT IS... NUFF SAID!

I really liked this.

ndra Fluke: Slurs won't silence women
    By Sandra Fluke, Special to CNN
    updated 2:15 PM EDT, Tue March 13, 2012

Fluke: Bad info in contraception debate

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • Sandra Fluke testified on the need for access to affordable, quality reproductive health care
    • Fluke: Slurs were attempts to drown out discussion and silence women's voices
    • Fluke inundated with messages of support for contraception as a basic health need
    • Taxpayers will not pay, she says, insurance policies are financed by workplace, workers

Editor's note: Sandra Fluke is a third-year law student at Georgetown University Law Center and has served as president of Georgetown Law Students for Reproductive Justice.

(CNN) -- Last month, students from several Catholic universities gathered to send a message to the nation that contraception is basic health care. I was among them, and I was proud to share the stories of my friends at Georgetown Law who have suffered dire medical consequences because our student insurance does not cover contraception for the purpose of preventing pregnancy.

I joined these students in speaking at a media event because I believe that stories of how real women are affected are the most powerful argument for access to affordable, quality reproductive health care services.
    I also joined these students because now is a critical time to raise this issue in our public consciousness.

Thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, preventive care services, including contraception, will be covered by private insurance plans without co-pays or deductibles. If appropriately implemented, this important law will finally guarantee women access to contraception, regardless of the religious affiliation of their workplace or school.

Obama calls contraception advocate

Rush's 'slut' attack sparks furor

Rush Limbaugh's apology spin

By now, many have heard the stories I wanted to share thanks to the congressional leaders and members of the media who have supported me and millions of women in speaking out.

Because we spoke so loudly, opponents of reproductive health access demonized and smeared me and others on the public airwaves. These smears are obvious attempts to distract from meaningful policy discussions and to silence women's voices regarding their own health care.

These attempts to silence women and the men who support them have clearly failed. I know this because I have received so many messages of support from across the country -- women and men speaking out because they agree that contraception needs to be treated as a basic health care service.

Who are these supporters?

They are women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, who need contraception to prevent cysts from growing on their ovaries, which if unaddressed can lead to infertility and deadly ovarian cancer. They are sexual assault victims, who need contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

They are Catholic women, who see no conflict between their social justice -based faith and family planning. They are new moms, whose doctors fear that another pregnancy too soon could jeopardize the mother's health and the potential child's health too. They are mothers and grandmothers who remember all too well what it was like to be called names decades ago, when they were fighting for a job, for health care benefits, for equality.

They are husbands, partners, boyfriends and male friends who know that without access to contraception, the women they care about can face unfair obstacles to participating in public life. And yes, they are young women of all income levels, races, classes and ethnicities who need access to contraception to control their reproduction, pursue their education and career goals and prevent unintended pregnancy. And they will not be silenced.

These women know how expensive birth control pills can be, with or without insurance coverage. For a single mother with kids, a woman making minimum wage, or a student living on loans, a high monthly co-pay could be the difference between buying contraception or one week of groceries.
    And imagine the financial burden of unplanned pregnancy and raising a child. For women without insurance coverage or with insurance that doesn't cover contraception, the costs create a significant financial burden.

Many women cannot medically use the least expensive types of contraception. As a result, many women, especially those 18 to 34 who have the most trouble affording contraception, simply go without. They face any number of medical risks as well as unintended pregnancy -- all of which damage their productivity and the health of their families.

Most recently, certain political commentators have started spreading misinformation about the underlying government regulation we are discussing. To be clear, through programs such as Medicaid, the government already does and should fund contraception coverage for the poorest women in our country.

But, despite the misinformation being spread, the regulation under discussion has absolutely nothing to do with government funding: It is all about the insurance policies provided by private employers and universities that are financed by individual workers, students and their families -- not taxpayers.

I am talking about women who, despite paying their own premiums, cannot obtain coverage of contraception on their private insurance, even when their employer or university contributes nothing to that insurance.

Restricting access to such a basic health care service, which 99% of sexually experienced American women have used and 62% of American women are using right now, is out of touch with public sentiment. In fact, more than 60% of Americans support this regulation and affordable access to contraception, according to the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation.

Attacking me and women who use contraception by calling us prostitutes and worse cannot silence us.

I am proud to stand with the millions of women and men who recognize that our government should legislate according to the reality of our lives -- not for ideology.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

so contraception is not free in usa or what? give em girlies them pills to make them get it on whenever i say!
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    so contraception is not free in usa or what? give em girlies them pills to make them get it on whenever i say!
    No, honey, it is not free. We don't have universal healthcare in the US. Most people are insured through their employer, which is usually fine, as long as you are employed and your employer isn't a religious institution. Employers subscribe to and offer their employees insurance as part of the employees benefits. Students may get healthcare through their universities, or under their parents' insurance plans. The very poor get coverage through Medicaid and the elderly get coverage through Medicare. (Though it's more complicated than that, but that's a general rule.)

If you have an employer who offers you health insurance, you usually have to pay part of the monthly premium, and the employer pays part of it too. For example, an insurance company may charge $1200 per month to insure your family, and your employer might pay 60% and you pay 40% (just an example), which is deducted from your monthly paycheck and not taxed. And you usually have to pay co-pays for doctors' visits and for prescriptions. I am self-employed and every month I pay about $1450 premium for my family, and we still have to pay $20 for each doctor's visit, and co-pays for prescriptions ranging from $15 per prescription to $60, depending on the medication. And that co-pay is every time we get a prescription filled.

Some employers (small businesses for example) don't offer health insurance coverage to their employees, or others offer it only to full-time employees and not part-time employees. So you could work 60 hours a week at a couple of different jobs and still not be insured. If you don't have insurance through an employer, it is often difficult to purchase insurance for yourself (too complicated to explain, but it's based on the idea of risk pools).

To make matters even more complicated, the rules vary somewhat from state to state.

Anyway, with regard to contraception coverage, it depends on your employer and the insurance plan they purchase, and to some extent your state. I think my state requires insurance plans to cover contraception, so for the typical type of birth control pill I (or my daughters) have to pay $15 per month. Some plans charge you a higher co-pay or might charge you a higher co-pay only for certain types of birth control pills. Presently, an employer that is part of a religious institution can decline to cover BCPs at all on religious grounds. So that might mean that if you want BCPs, you have to cover the entire cost yourself, which could be considerable.

Since religious institutions here in the US may own and run hospitals and universities, for example, that might mean that you work in a completely non-religious capacity for example, as a nurse in a hospital owned by the Catholic Church, and they can refuse to cover your BCPs because they say they don't believe in them. Similarly, you might go to a university that is for all intents and purposes secular (like Georgetown) and if you are covered under their health plan, they can decline to cover contraception. So you might have to pay a considerable amount of $$ out of pocket each month to pay for BCPs, even if you need them for a medical rather than a contraceptive reason. And students, even ones going to pricey law schools, or may especially ones going to pricey law schools, might have trouble affording that.

It is way more complex than just this description, due to the fact that healthcare in the US is not universal, and is for-profit. Most insurance plans do cover contraception (though you still have to pay a co-pay each month) just because they realize that it's cheaper than paying for a pregnancy.

When my daughter is home from college I always offer to fill her BCP prescription because the last thing I want is for her to not fill it if she's running short on money some point.

And yes, not having universal healthcare = barbarism.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post

And yes, not having universal healthcare = barbarism.
    gosh, usa has these health things so complicated it gives me headache, i just thought that of course contraception would be free because of teenagers getting pregnant is a big issue and cannot really be down to money but just basic human right things, in my mind. but then again im from finland where things are quite good, and if you cannot pay the little cost of healthcare things government pays and we have these national pension thing i dont know what it is in english that pays most part anyway, even if you work and stuff and pays your rent and most of your living if you study, for example on benefits your healthcare and living is covered and its quite secure life. and kids like me who have no parents to support them get more money, and your student allowance is based on how much your parents make, which sometimes leads to trouble if your parents dont support you but you dont need huge students loans because the education is free. just the books that you have to pay.

so to me this sounds like some kind of third world country stuff, that is that success in life is not what you can make yourself but what kind of parents you have been born to. its scary.

i dont know, im just babbling, every system has good and bad sides, but you would think that these things would go above useless war that states are spending their assets on.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    i dont know, im just babbling, every system has good and bad sides, but you would think that these things would go above useless war that states are spending their assets on.
    Yes, you would think so. As headache-inducing as my post was, the healthcare system in the US is a thousand times more complicated than what I described.

For example, a doctor's office might accept, say, 4 different insurance plans. Each of those plans has a list of procedures and medications that it does and does not cover. Therefore, a doctor might actually wind up making different recommendations to 2 patients with the same disease or injury based on their insurance coverage. It's fucking crazy.

There's no dignity to it. And the stupid conservatives who whine about abortion and its affront to human dignity are the same ones against universal healthcare.

If I wasn't married with kids I would have decamped to a socialist-leaning country a long time ago. Finland would be fine. (When I was growing up a gazillion years ago we had an exchange from Finland live with us for a year so I have a soft spot for Finland anyway. And I love moomintrolls.)

I do believe we need to make a compilation of all of caramel's posts and end it with her summation of our healthcare system and send it to congress.

Thanks Caramel, you summed it up just about right and captured the nonsense with aplomb.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

So Obama tricked him into calling the woman a slut.

Daily Kos: Rush Limbaugh was set up by Obama to call Sandra Fluke a slut

Impressive!
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information