Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Learning from multiple abortions

Silver Member

If somebody wants to take the issue of abortion, and whittle it down into a tiny, manageable, non-threatening, amoral, ethics-free black & white user-friendly issue, then yeah. They're likely to think that any discussion beyond the "it's my body so end of subject" argument is irrelevant.
    Well it actually 'is my body so end of subject' if you want to get technical about it. For me the issue of abortion is pretty simple - i'm not going to get my knickers in a philosophical twist over it.

This is my final word in this topic, but by all means you go ahead.
    Last edited by Charlotte; November 30th, 2006 at 03:07 PM. Reason: reason

We need a third corner Moomies!!!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Here, go sit in the other corner. I'm taking all your clothes off, too.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If I want to get technical about it?

*scurries back to corner*
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I had a classmate in HS who had 6 abortions by the age of 17. With parental consent, I can only imagine, as I believe you need it if you're under 18 years of age.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    That's your subjective experience. If you find it unpleasant, let me introduce you to the ignore function.
    And if you don't want me answering posts that weren't directed at me in particular on a public board, you can do the same.

The fact that I WAS a potential vacuumzygot makes it relevant to the topic of abortion. I brought it up as an example of how negative circumstances of pregnancy do not always equate a negative life. But again, if you want to simplify this topic down to a woman's right to choose, then of course you wouldn't be interested. Sorry to bore you & Charlotte, but again, ignore me. Won't hurt my feelings.
    True, but in the end it COULD and the choice still remains with the walking incubator whether she wants it to go forward or not.

Secondly, who said you were boring us? Don't put words in our mouths.

Wasn't the topic? Is the topic not abortion? How is the "emotional/moral side of things" irrelevant to abortion?
    To the physical act of it being legal to have done, it's irrelevant. That's why the issue is generally seperated. There's the legal aspect, and the emotional/moral/ethical side.

The thread is about women who have multiple abortions. If this wasn't an emotional/ethical/moral dilemma, the article wouldn't have even been written.
    Possibly, but the two barely intertwine which is why it's such a tough subject to tackle. You have the moral and the legal on either side of the equation constantly tipping back and forth. Does the morality of the act itself outweigh the availability for choice, or is the choice independent of the morality?

It would be like posting an article on women who have been to the dermatologist several times.
    To some, it would be akin to the same thing except you cant microdermabrasion a fetus away.

You must be fucking joking. If you're not, then friend, let's just say that we all see ourselves differently than how others see us.
    Ding ding, mood ring.

Besides, you've criticized my posting on this very thread.
    The content maybe, not the structure or how it's delivered.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I had a classmate in HS who had 6 abortions by the age of 17. With parental consent, I can only imagine, as I believe you need it if you're under 18 years of age.
    now thats a slut, im sorry, but its true

either that or she's a pathological liar.
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; November 30th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

Sometimes, after a lenghthy debate, there comes a time to agree to disagree and respect/accept different opinions. I'll be providing chill pills for those who may need them.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I knew a chick in high school that had 5 abortions, but not all while IN high school (if that makes sense). Now, she's 35 and cannot get pregnant. Interesting....

And if you don't want me answering posts that weren't directed at me in particular on a public board, you can do the same.
    Well, I don't want to, but if you keep chastising me for how I handle disputes with other posters, I'll have to give it serious consideration.

True, but in the end it COULD and the choice still remains with the walking incubator whether she wants it to go forward or not.

Secondly, who said you were boring us? Don't put words in our mouths.
    Again, the watering down of the issue. Did I say that it wasn't up to the walking incubator? Did I ever say that it should not be up to the walking incubator? No. But why is it forbidden to acknowledge and discuss the issues surrounding this decision?

About the "boring" comment, I will acknowledge that it's a teensy bit difficult to put out deeply personal information in a sincere attempt to make a point, and have people dismiss it as irrelevant. But it's the risk I chose to take.

To the physical act of it being legal to have done, it's irrelevant. That's why the issue is generally seperated. There's the legal aspect, and the emotional/moral/ethical side.
    Where are the rules on this thread that say that discussion of this topic must be limited to the physical act of it being done? What? There is no such rule? You don't say!

Possibly, but the two barely intertwine which is why it's such a tough subject to tackle. You have the moral and the legal on either side of the equation constantly tipping back and forth. Does the morality of the act itself outweigh the availability for choice, or is the choice independent of the morality?
    Ah, but now you're treading dangerous waters. I attempted to discuss this very issue and was directly instructed by the other poster to keep the issues separate - that if I was going to talk about one, I couldn't talk about the other. Or some such nonsense, I didn't read it very well. Regardless, the intertwining and conflict of the aspects of this topic that you mentioned are the very reason I posted at all.

To some, it would be akin to the same thing except you cant microdermabrasion a fetus away.
    I don't doubt that for a second, but you very well know that articles about microdermabrasion and articles about abortion will be received in extremely different ways by a significant amount of people.

Ding ding, mood ring.
    Unfortunately, this little treasure of a response was lost on me, because I was actually laughing at your post about how you don't pop off on people. I wasn't in a bad mood at all. But thanks again for your attempts to raise my awareness of my own feelings.

The content maybe, not the structure or how it's delivered.
    Semantics. I guess that's always a way to wiggle out of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Well, I don't want to, but if you keep chastising me for how I handle disputes with other posters, I'll have to give it serious consideration.
    I haven't chastised you in the slightest, I said you should probably read what has been written, and then told you you were coming off as bitchy.

I wasn't like "You should answer this way, and do it like that and wear these shoes and stand up straight!"

Again, the watering down of the issue. Did I say that it wasn't up to the walking incubator? Did I ever say that it should not be up to the walking incubator? No. But why is it forbidden to acknowledge and discuss the issues surrounding this decision?
    It's not, and nobody said it was. I don't remember anybody pulling a gun and threatening our lives if we didn't stop talking.

About the "boring" comment, I will acknowledge that it's a teensy bit difficult to put out deeply personal information in a sincere attempt to make a point, and have people dismiss it as irrelevant. But it's the risk I chose to take.
    It's not irrelevant to you and your life, but to the exacting point at the time it WAS irrelevant to what was being discussed really.

If it makes you feel better, I had a supefluous nipple.

Where are the rules on this thread that say that discussion of this topic must be limited to the physical act of it being done? What? There is no such rule? You don't say!
    I never said there was, again don't put words in my mouth. The conflict is in WHAT was being discussed at the time and why the 2 sides generally clash, not whether we could discuss them or not.

Ah, but now you're treading dangerous waters. I attempted to discuss this very issue and was directly instructed by the other poster to keep the issues separate - that if I was going to talk about one, I couldn't talk about the other. Or some such nonsense, I didn't read it very well. Regardless, the intertwining and conflict of the aspects of this topic that you mentioned are the very reason I posted at all.
    I didn't see that at all, but they are inherently 2 different sides of an issue.

I don't doubt that for a second, but you very well know that articles about microdermabrasion and articles about abortion will be received in extremely different ways by a significant amount of people.
    Well of course, that's why we're so varied in opinion.

Unfortunately, this little treasure of a response was lost on me, because I was actually laughing at your post about how you don't pop off on people.
    I still don't.. me telling someone off isn't going off, that's just being blunt. Popping off on someone would be having an illogical freakout and going batshit while making little sense. I ALWAYS make sense.

I wasn't in a bad mood at all. But thanks again for your attempts to raise my awareness of my own feelings.
    I'm a little gay mood ring.

Semantics. I guess that's always a way to wiggle out of something.
    It's not semantics, it's correct assessment.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I have several chill pills, take your pick, ok?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

MOOMS; I agree............................................. ........................TO DISAGREE!!!!

Yuh, you neeed to take a chirr pirr.

Obviously we have different definitions of popping off. Must be a geographical thing. Hence, the confusion.

I still feel unfairly chastised by you, for what it's worth.

Regarding the irrelevancy issue, for heaven's sake, from what you said, every unmentioned thought or issue in every thread could be classified as irrelevant. Unless all posts follow a completely linear flow of information from the original post, with no mention of associated issues, then they're irrelevant!

Grimmlok, for you and those like you who prefer to keep the abortion issue nice & simple, I give you my apologies. There are those of us who firmly believe otherwise, and we are legion. For us, ethics and morality are an integral part of this topic, and therefore, never irrelevant.

I suppose the nipple thing helps a little.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information