Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laura Bush speaks about car crash which killed friend

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    meh i'm no fan of laura bush but it was an accident. a horrible, tragic accident but shit happens. and it sounds like she regrets not having gone to the funeral or speaking to his family.
    ITA, and it was her fault that the accident happened, but it was probably not her fault that he died.
    Previous reports stated that he was "thrown from the car and broke his neck." This means that he was probably not wearing a seatbelt (which was probably more common in 1963).
    This whole "Laura Bush killed a guy thing" was sparked from a Family Guy episode, but the fact is she didn't kill anyone, and that's why she was never charged.
    Mrs. Bush ran stop sign in fatal crash

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Well, she ran a stop sign so yeah, she kind of has a large part of responsibility for what happened. I get that it was an accident, albeit one that could have been prevented and I am sure she feels badly to this day. But I think her making a laundry list of excuses about why it happened is pretty lame, particularly the comment about the handling of the other car. She ran a stop sign and someone died as a result. End of story.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yes, an accident. of a kid.

Elite Member

I am not trying to excuse her in any way, but I am sure the way she talks about it reflects the narrative that she has created for dealing with it. It was a long time and I imagine it was very painful at the time (of course, nothing like the pain that kid's family went through). People tend to create a 'story' that they can live with, so they can put it behind them and move on.

It is kind of upsetting that she never spoke to his parents. It might have been better for everyone involved if she had.

It sounds like her parents were the decision makers in that and thought it would be best if she didnt go. Still I wonder why she didnt contact them, I think at some point she should have but I dont know all of the sides to the story
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by blogboardbusters View Post
    ITA, and it was her fault that the accident happened, but it was probably not her fault that he died.
    Previous reports stated that he was "thrown from the car and broke his neck." This means that he was probably not wearing a seatbelt (which was probably more common in 1963).
    I don't think any mass-produced cars had seat belts in 1963. Hard to imagine now. Thank you, Ralph Nader
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

For what it's worth I wasn't condeming her for the accident...they do happen and God forbid that it happens to me on my way home today or any other time. My condemnation has to do with how she handled it afterwards. I forgive her in the immediate aftermath because she was a kid who probably didn't know what to do...I suspect she wanted to just hide away and forget it. But, as she matured, as she gained her own sense of self, she should have reached out to that family. She should have apologized long ago for the damage she did...she should have taken responsibility a long time ago.

I agree !
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I don't think any mass-produced cars had seat belts in 1963. Hard to imagine now. Thank you, Ralph Nader
    I can remember taking road trips as a kid & standing up in the front seat to see better. The 60's was a different time.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    I can remember taking road trips as a kid & standing up in the front seat to see better. The 60's was a different time.
    True. The only seat belt we had was Mom's arm. Even when I was in my twenties, if she was driving and had to stop fast that arm would flash in front of me. Our only protection!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Are all these quotes from a book she wrote? Because if they are.. she has a really weird style of writing. It tries to be flowy but it just sounds odd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information