Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laid-off lawyer in predicament she never imagined

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So is criminal law. So many options and a little tweaking of their skills should put them right back in the thick of things.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

"After a while with the paralegal jobs, the listings said, 'No attorneys.' I think it's because they figured attorneys would leave as soon as they found work as lawyers."
    Welcome to the real world. I'm trained in office/reception work but I can't find anything right now so have been applying for everything and anything. Problem is that I can't get low paid work in a supermarket or factory as they think that as soon as an office job offer lands on my doormat I'll be off like a shot, so they won't even give me a chance.

I can't even get bar work at the moment, either. When I first started looking to go down that route the problem seemed to be that I wasn't 19, skinny, fake tanned and the proud owner of a wonderbra (as the eventual successful candidates always seemed to be). Now it's because there isn't even a place for them to work either - a lot of the pubs around here have scaled back opening hours and are even staying closed all day on certain days to save on wages because they aren't taking enough over the bar to cover it.

The only people who seem to be doing well are the bailiffs and the people who make the "Property/Business For Sale or Let" signs. Everyone else is screwed.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

People have to be careful about jumping into new recession type jobs. This recession won't last forever. Teaching is nice safe job, but only if you've been doing it for at least 10 - 15 years. New teachers are being laid off left and right.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I guess she should have gone into medical school.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Criminal law will soon be through the roof. I have already seen a rise in our firm.
    When people cannot afford to buy, they steal.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    This is the reality of the economy. That's why I always shake my head when people claim that they work in a 'safe' industry. There is no 'safe' industry these days.
    Trope, 43, is an attorney with 15 years of experience, and she said lawyers are losing their jobs in droves.
    OMG ^ you're right KingCap, but I honestly thought that this economy was NOT affecting lawyers. how wrong i was and i was thinking of becomeing a legal secretary too for a little bit....I think that its just particulary bad in California (los angeles) though b/c so much of our private wealth is due to real estate (which many lawyers here depend on to make their fees) which is in spiral right now so im not so sure about lawyers have a hard time in other parts of the country. again, i could be wrong.

on a side note; with a last name like that (Trope) she shouldn't be doing badly. Trope and Trope is like one of the most famous law firms in los angeles, one of their lawyers worked on the Anna Nicole Smith custody bullshit of her daughter. Maybe she should look into another area of practice like family law...

If anyone is thinking about getting into anything, it should be in the medical field.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

fuck, fuckity fuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    If anyone is thinking about getting into anything, it should be in the medical field.
    I agree. There will always be a need for nurses.

There's always the funeral business. Although people might scale down, with the aging baby boomer population - there will always be a fresh supply of clients.

^ yep, and people are dying to get in!

old joke, i know....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information