Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LA Times tells gays to stop being mean towards homophobic bigots

I respect your belief Southernbelle. And I am not attacking you when I ask this - Why does it matter to you? How does if affect you personally if two Christian men or two Christian women want to be joined in matrimony before a loving Christian God?

I believe that it would be an instance of the church condoning a behavior, in a religious ceremony, that the religion forbids, and I have a problem with that. It destroys the authority and credibility of the church to have them telling us that something is wrong, then turning around and participating in the legitimization of that act.

I don't think that religious institutions should perform ceremonies that are in direct opposition to that religion's beliefs.

If gay couples are Christian and want to continue to attend church, fine. However, I draw the line at the church actually participating in the ceremony.

I'm trying to find a spot in any bible that specifically forbids gay marriage, and not having any luck. Could someone point me to it?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Leviticus 18:22 is commonly regarded as a passage forbidding homosexual activity in general, which would probably extend to marriage. It says:

"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

The Catechism also explicitly defines marriage as between one man and one woman. I understand that not everyone is Christian, or Catholic, but because I am, I believe the teachings of the Church on these matters, while respecting the fact that not everyone agrees with me.

Ah yes, leviticus.. you do know he was talking about prostitution, right? Probably not.

I repeat my disbelief that his positions on slavery, stoning, shellfish, blended fibers, and growing 2 different crops side by side aren't adhered to.

I mean, any of them seem reasonable.. so why single out the gays?

Is that ever going to be answered?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^
    i can understand not wanting churches to be forced to marry gays. i even agree that churches should be the only ones to decide on that matter.
    but what about legal marriage? that's carried out by the state, which is supposed to be a secular entity devoid of reigious influence. why do you care if the state marries gays?

the catholic church won't let you have a religious marriage twice. if you're divorced, you're technically not allowed to be married in church again.
    whatever my opinion on that matter is, i don't think the church should be foreced to perform that ceremony just because the state will marry a person as many times as they like.

the same goes for gay marriages in church. i don't think that should be imposed.
    likewise, i don't think religion should enter into what is the legal, secular definition of marriage. why do you care if marriage is extended to same-sex couples, as long as it is only legal, secular marriage we are talking about, not the religious ceremony?
    by depriving them of that right, aren't you imposing your religious beiefs on the rest of society? isn't that just as bad as if the state suddenly decided to force churches to perform same-sex ceremonies? (which would never happen by the way, as churches are protected by law).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm still not sure how gay marriage affects you personally.

The prevailing Christian view on homosexuality was established thousands of years before scientists became aware of its biological origin. People are hardwired to prefer one sex over the other. A small percentage of humans (and animals) are born with a sexual preference for their own gender. It's an inate part of their being. Any honest with himself/herself gay person will agree with that. I wish the churches would get with the program and update their dogma to reflect certain biological realities and open their doors and rituals to gays who want to participate. I am not religious (or gay for that matter) but my religious upbringing taught me that God does not alienate people. Why are the churches?
    Last edited by qwerty; December 29th, 2008 at 02:28 PM.

Religion is based on exclusivity. If you believe a certain way and obey the church, you get a reward when you croak. Anybody not adhering doesn't get a cookie.

It's all clique mentality, political control, and fearmongering.

^^I have to agree Grimm.

I'm still waiting on the answer to this:

I repeat my disbelief that his positions on slavery, stoning, shellfish, blended fibers, and growing 2 different crops side by side aren't adhered to.

Seems the 'believers' are somewhat wary of actually saying WHY

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Up here, the only church that I know of that will do religious ceremonies is the Unitarian church.. you know, the church that welcomes everybody no matter who you are (awfully christlike).
    Unitarians accept gay marriages here and will perform the ceremony. Some Methodists will. I'm not sure about Baptists in states where gay marriage is legal, but I know one or two in my state said they are willing to perform gay marriages. We actually have liberal Baptist churches here. They tend to follow the teachings of Jesus rather than focus on the Old Testament.

Southernbelle, you can use the Bible to justify your beliefs, but it is still bigotry. You are not alone either. You'll find people everywhere who use religious teachings to continue to be prejudiced. Check out some racist "Christian" theology. They say the same things and can find Biblical passages to support their beliefs. But they are still bigots.

why do people listen to a book that is 2000 years old and that there is no proof that anything in it is true?

It's easier than thinking for yourself?

i think thats really sad.
    whats worse is...there are many people out there who would prefer not to think and just be told what to think...
    at least there are some churchs that are accepting of same-sex marriages, but i think it will take a long time, maybe a few decades, before people change their views and opinions and stop protesting something that IS natural. oh the irony in them saying its unnatural to love someone of the same sex, when they believe god made us...he made us the way we are and we cant change that.
    ive never been more glad then right now that my parents didnt force a religon on me!

stillllllllll waiting....

If i don't get an answer, I'm just going to keep assuming that 'christians' cherry pick what to believe just because they need an outlet for their own prejudice and bigotry, but want to hide behind Jebus's skirt because they're too cowardly to own up to it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information