Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Keith Olbermann goes off on Prop 8.. you can feel the fury coming off him

Oh Fluffy.

I didn't bother reading your reply, as prior ones indicated it would be a waste of time. I saw your name and my post quoted, which was really all I needed to see to know it would be more of the same.

Maybe dismissed didn't get the point across.

^Too fact-minded for ya, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    [youtube]1HpTBF6EfxY[/youtube]
    That was great commentary. Keith had the right approach. That's how you start trying to change people's perception on Prop 8. You break it down in nuts and bolts terms that they can understand.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, they dont teach this at our school. My daughter through involvement in figure skating and horse showing has many gay 'uncles' and trainers, and understands that some people have 2 dads, etc. (she's 6), just like some kids have only a Mommy and no Daddy.

Now can I stand on my soap box for a second here? In America we are all supposed to have equal protection under the law. That to me means, every citizen, Black, White, Purple, Gay, Straight, Bi, Handicapped, Not, Tall or Short should have the same rights. Period. It was truly amazing to me during this elections that African Americans who had so long being denied their rights in this country could go into the voting booth and at the exact same time as they voted for the first African American President could pull the lever to deny another group the same rights they so long faught to get for themselves. The irony of that is breathtaking. *gets down off the soapbox*
    Here. Fucking. Here. Silly Black people, rights are for everyone!
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

Elite Member

Bwahahahahaahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

This is the crux of it all, really. Thank you, Grimm, for calling out flipstick and all the other... um... supporters of Prop 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    They voted for it because they were told lies.. but the point remains that the very IDEA of teaching kids about different family units scares the shit out of people cuz they think their kids will catch GAY, or that they think it's a choice and wrong (which it is neither) and therefore their kids should be somehow shielded from it, even though it's just a family unit going about its business.

Do they have the same reaction to single mothers or fathers? No.. it's just when you put the man with another man or the woman with another woman.. then it's something SCARRRRRRRY instead of 2 people in love raising kids.

It should be taught in the same vein as everything else.. not petting the strange dog, not taking candy from strangers, not making fun of people because they're different, etc etc etc. Nobody EVER has a problem with that stuff, but as soon as you throw the gay in they lose their fucking minds because they're ignorant. All kinds of family units should be taught, not just gay ones. The whole rainbow, so to speak.

You can't expect people to be accepting of differences if you never educate about it. That's fact.

Yes, by being taught in school.. the same way you teach the other stuff i just mentioned. Matter of factly, in a realistic way, neither ascribing good or bad qualities to it but saying "this is how families can be". Straight, gay, single, whatever.

Would you please tell me what is WRONG with teaching it, just theoretically?

Ideas? Like TOLERANCE? Yeah, how dare we educate people and teach them about being accepting of others. What a horrible thing. Everybody should oppose educating people on how to be decent to each other.

Do you realize how illogical that sounds?

*laughs*

God, do you know how LONG i've been waiting for you to FINALLY say that? Jesus, it's been like 50 posts!'

This is EXACTLY the kind of ignorance I'm speaking about.

Look: do you teach kindergarteners about sex at all? No. At most, you teach them bad touch to keep pervs away. That's about it.

Now, why in the name of all that is holy, would you start talking about SEX (and even more specifically GAY SEX) to a bunch of tiny kids when the topic is FAMILY UNITS

Did I mention SEX anywhere? Does anybody here think little kids ought to be taught all about the various kinds of sex?

Has any gay rights activist said SEX should even be mentioned if ilearning about different family structures were to be taught in schools?

... NO.

It's about families.. it's about "Timmy has 2 moms and Sally has 2 dads, they're a family."

Not "Sally's dad takes it up the ass from his other dad, and Timmy's mom totally gets her box eaten out by her second mom"

TEACHING PEOPLE ABOUT GAY PEOPLE BEING A FAMILY DOES NOT MEAN TALK ABOUT SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX

That's all straight people think about, isnt it; Gay sex. Kids learning about gay sex. Gay sex rubbing off on them...

when the idea to teach tolerance of different family structures HAS NOTHING TO FUCKING DO WITH SEX.

God!

I want less ignorance which will LEAD TO RIGHTS.

*bangs head on table*
    FWIW: I've given up trying to comprehend flipstick's posts. They make no sense. It's all a bunch of regurgitated fundie crap. And the idiocy of it makes my eyes cross.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    He can refer to himself any way he wants, but I still think it's a bit offensive if you refer to him using the term 'midget'.. 'dwarf' might be more acceptable. I guess I've always been under the impression that 'midget' is a derogatory term, but I'm not as enlightened on civil liberties as you are, I suppose.
    OT: I hate hate hate the term "little people." Hate it! I see absolutely nothing wrong with the word 'midget.' Especially since "midgets" aren't the same as "dwarfs," proportionally speaking. Not all "little people" are dwarfs, some are midgets. And some are children. And some are Filipino. And some are old people born before 1920.

But maybe that's just my opinion cuz I was born before the PC era?? I'm not a young 'un like you, SJ.

I don't really care either way. I just refuse to call all of 'em dwarfs, and definitely not "little people." What's wrong with calling 'em by the appropriate medical term, whatever that is? I'mma just keep saying midget until I meet one that tells me it's wrong. Hmph. *flounce*
    Last edited by Dallas_Munro; November 14th, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

after finally watching this I thought great words BUT his dramatic moving to a second camera then pausing with his head down really made it seem fake. If he would have just stared into the camera and talked with the emotion he had without those "moves" that would have been amazing. I swear those pause and swift moves back and forth to camera one and two made it seem like acting out a scene.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread Information