Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Keith Olbermann goes off on Prop 8.. you can feel the fury coming off him

Quote Originally Posted by flipstick View Post
    Grimmlok I really don't care how it sounds on your end because its clear you are being irrational.
    How it sounds on my end is how it is received by the other party in the conversation. If you are coming across one way, but are intending to come across a completely different way, then there is an obvious breakdown in communication and result.

Several people seem to be able to comprehend that when I say things like "this was the issue of concern in my born again Christian friend's realm" that I am discussing the other perspective.

Yes I have friends who don't want their kids exposed to the "gay lifestyle" to the point that she homeschools her kids. I also have another Christian fundy in Texas who does the same thing.

And oddly we don't fight. In fact in discussing the issue with my girlfriend here I was able to get a concession from her that in the secular world she wouldn't have a problem with gay marriage as it didn't effect her personally. Additionally it was upsetting to her that homosexuals were denied visitation of loved ones in hospitals.
    Now that is a more detailed response. Still, her religious prattle tells her to oppress people. Sad.

The issue as I've pointed out is conceding something you don't understand and feeling complicit in going against what your good book tells you God wants.
    yes, it's called using your own brain. It's an amazing experience.

Its often difficult for atheists like myself to keep in mind that these people truly believe that there is a God and that the bible is his book. To me its just a story and history yadda yadda.

These people feel they have a personal relationship with Jesus. It helps them get through their life. Good on them. And truly? Even my girlfriend has gay friends. She doesn't however want to be responsible for deciding whether or not they should be able to get married? Its not her place anyway.
    As a member of society, she has a responsibility. Do unto others, etc.

This is why it should not be voted upon.
    obviously.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Flipstick, you seem to know a little about everything. You seem to like arguing in every thread.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Some people can't use their own brain. This is why they are religious. In her case letting God do the thinking for her helps tremendously.

I remember having this debate regarding Emerson. His whole effort at getting people to think for themselves. It just doesn't work in reality. Some people can't think for themselves. They have to follow in order to function.

You should test yourself to see what your Myers Briggs personality is. Once I took the test and understood that like 70% of the world is an SJ personality it became easier to tolerate what I saw as stupidity before.

Check it out. You'll find it interesting I bet and its a short test.
    Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Flipstick, you seem to know a little about everything. You seem to like arguing in every thread.
    Yeah, I'm bored. Waiting for the real estate market to bounce back!
    Last edited by Tati; November 13th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

LOL its totally about to be thrown the fuck out, SF and LA's city attorneys are presenting their cases to the legislaters and even the Govenator is against it b/c they're saying that its the govts. job to protect the peoples' rights not be taking them away and shit! im not to worried about this one GOODBYE HATERZ STFU!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Cool!

Good.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

also, everyone who is against it is now boycotting financially/business-wise any and all companies and/or ppl who financially supported yes on 8! since all their dumbass names have been published. hit 'em where it hurts cuz gays have lots of money honey so that was a stupid thing to do!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wait they published who voted yes! Brilliant! This is how the bus boycott worked. Gays already have power and influence. Lets see them use it. Especially in LA. Ought to shut down the film industry no?

the gay mafia will beat a bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    also, everyone who is against it is now boycotting financially/business-wise any and all companies and/or ppl who financially supported yes on 8! since all their dumbass names have been published. hit 'em where it hurts cuz gays have lots of money honey so that was a stupid thing to do!
    Any idea where that list is online?

lemme get it yeah

Many Eyes: Top contributors to the Proposition 8 campaigns

look to the support or oppose column to see who the bigot/supporters are.

http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/m...versions/1.txt
    ^ in text format

wow the CA teachers assosciation gave a ton of money opposing it thats cool. i noticed a ton of out of staters who supported it. i mean what the fuck, if it doesn't concern u then leave it be! and all the asshats who work in real estate who supported it too. jerks. im keeping this list handy for the future, it'll help my decision making on who i want to give business to.

What gets me is these assholes could have given all this money instead to HELP people who really need it here and around the world and therefore really make a difference in the world. Instead they waste it by trying to stop two people who love one another from affirming it to the world in a legally recognized ceremony. I just do not get the logic? or way these idiots reason, but most of all HOW the f&*k this possibly even personally affects THEM in the least! I'd sleep a whole lot better knowing I helped a kid eat or get meds they need than knowing I helped keep two people in love from committing themselves to each other simply because they are the same sex. Life is just too f&#kin short for shit like this! Seems like we move one step forward, two steps back in America alot.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Guess what? Different states have different minimum age requirements for marriage and when you can get a marriage license. That is an issue up to the states.

Yes, gays in all 50 states would like to get married. Marriage licenses are issued by the state, not the federal government, which is why this is a state issue.
    A marriage from a state in which age requirements were met to be married will be recognized by all fifty states. A gay marriage will not, regardless of the requirements being met in the state in which the marriage was created. That argument illustrates a difference in policy pertaining to a situation which both states find legal. It's no different from driver's licenses. In one state the legal age to obtain the driver's license may be sixteen, while a fifteen year old in another state is legally licensed and allowed to drive legally in both. This situation involves states which have written into law that said situation is illegal. Different situations.

It is a state issue now. I assure you, the first gay couple who find themselves in a state, in which their marriage is not even recognized, and rights they would have if it were recognized aren't given to them, it won't be a state issue anymore.

Are all gays going to move to California, assuming Prop 8 is found unconstitutional, and stay there permanently? Will any gay couple who find their rights being, nulled just by entering another state, accept the situation? Will the state refusing them rights concede its law and say,"Even though it is illegal here, we'll let you slide?" No.

That is when it will become more than one state's issue. Who do you think steps in to decide which state's law will override the other's in a case of state law conflict? Loving versus Virginia is a good case to take a look at to understand what happens when two states don't quite agree and why your statement, and argument, of this being strictly a state issue is off, unless being able to fully marry in one state is acceptable.

See, up here the Fed just said gay marriage is legal across all provinces, and that was that, once parliament passed it.

Why do states require different marriage rules? It's so.. inefficient

Hit By Ban Bus!

Because the states themselves have different laws across the board. Its what makes America so er....."interesting......

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information