Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: John McCain seeks to delay Friday's debate due to economic crisis

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    Oh please, John is just in a panic cause people are calling him out on his bullshit.

Can he not walk and chew gum at the same time? As someone on another board so eloquently stated, "A President should and must be able to multitask. Trouble doesn't come sequentially, sometimes they come more than one at a time. As President, what would John McCain do if more than one crises happen simultaneously? Ask one of them to hold on for a bit, while he deals with the other one?"

Exactly!!! Couldnt they move the location of the debate to DC?
    I mean they can handle an hour an half away from the crisis to deal with this. And what if something else happens if the situation is going to get worse? Will McCain cancel the rest of the debates. Many Americans will used the debates to decide and to cancel at this point looks weak.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    This article isn't about Palin. Stick to the subject.

McCain is showing leadership by putting the country first right now. And all Obama is doing is saying he thought of it first? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Whatever.
    Yeah, McCain showed real leadership by:

1) Saying the fundamentals of the economy were strong when the crisis intially hit. And then changing his tune the next day and saying we were in a crisis.

2) Saying that as president he would fire the head of the FCC(?) even though he wouldn't have the authority to fire him, and then changing his tune the next day and saying Cox should resign.

3) Saying that we shouldn't bail out AIG, and then changing his tune the next day to say that we should bail out AIG.

4) Ending the week by blaming Obama for the current financial crisis, after campaigning for months on the premise that Obama hasn't been in Washington long enough to know what's going on.

^^ Come on, King... that just means he's putting the COUNTRY FIRST.

^^ Well, he did pick Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency, C. That showed real leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The Senate will also need to vote correct?
    ????????????

Doesnt the senate vote after Congress right? So how will that affect debate if Congress is voting on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Doesnt the senate vote after Congress right? So how will that affect debate if Congress is voting on Friday.
    They vote on the bills separately. Doesn't matter who votes first. They do have to reconcile bills that are not alike.

Elite Member

It's a brilliant polticial move on the part of whichever McCain advisor came up with it. However, I think it's going to backfire.

All Obama has to do is say that the debate should go forward, but instead of talking about foreign policy, discuss their plans for rebuilding the US (and by extension, the world's) economy. If Obama's smart (and he is), he's prepared to present his case.

And it's not that McCain's case is that much different from Obama's. I just think Obama can deliver his points better and maybe pick up a few votes in the process.

we should of course rush it through and sign it without any oversight and without looking carefully through the bailout agreement.....

leaping before looking worked so well with our last President that I'm sure it's a solid course here....no worries, it will all be fine. Congress would never fuck us the people.....

BTW, as of yesterday neither candidate had planned on voting on this...

Here's a quick one this morning: The website Politico reports that Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama may skip the vote on the Paulson bailout plan -- if and when the plan comes to a vote in the Senate. From Politico:
    Sen. John McCain has no plans to return to Washington this week, even though on Monday he expressed discomfort with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson 's trillion-dollar bailout plan and has offered his own rescue proposal.
    ... Senior Obama strategist Robert Gibbs said the campaign would be monitoring the process as it unfolds this week, but as of Monday, the campaign would not commit to Obama making the trip back to Washington – even though the bailout proposal has taken a central role in Obama’s stump speeches.
    The bloviation part: I hope no one will argue with a straight face these guys are too busy to go to Washington to vote. They both have access to jet airplanes. They make their own schedules.

This is a chance to show leadership. To date neither of these guys has shown much leadership on the subject -- neither bothered to even mention the credit crisis in their convention speech. Were they unaware of it? Forgot about it? Are they afraid to take a stand? Do these guys want to lead, follow, or do they want to get out of the way?

--Peter Viles

Profiles in courage? McCain, Obama may skip bailout vote | L.A. Land | Los Angeles Times
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 24th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Exactly!!! Couldnt they move the location of the debate to DC?
    I work in Mississippi and I can tell you that idea won't play here. People have invested a lot of time and money to get this debate in MS and even if it's for a good reason, moving or postponing it will rub some folks the wrong way.

The US Congress is made up of two houses, (1) the Senate and (2) the House of Representatives. Bills have to go through each house. Each house is Constitutionally allowed to vote against bills, review them, send them to committee, and change the text of the bills. They have no excuse for passing this bill lickety-split no questions asked.

Obama & McCain NEED to take a stand, if only to say SLOW DOWN. Put some fucking oversight at the very least.

One of the two of them will be the next president. If they lead the way now, their fellow Senators (and other Congresspersons) will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    The US Congress is made up of two houses, (1) the Senate and (2) the House of Representatives. Bills have to go through each house.

Obama & McCain NEED to take a stand, if only to say SLOW DOWN. Put some fucking oversight at the very least.

One of the two of them will be the next president. If they lead the way now, their fellow Senators (and other Congresspersons) will follow suit.
    In the Senate, Chris Dodd has put some serious regulation into the Senate's version. I'm guessing his version will most likely pass in the Senate WITH oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    First you tell me I'm not watching the news channels, now you're telling me what to post on?

TKD, I'm sorry, but if you don't like my posts, you don't have to read them.

You changed the subject to Palin, dear. I didn't.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    You changed the subject to Palin, dear. I didn't.
    You don't dictate what letters my fingers touch on my keyboard.

And again, if you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    You don't dictate what letters my fingers touch on my keyboard.

And again, if you don't like my posts, don't read them.
    Sounds good to me.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information