Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: John McCain seeks to delay Friday's debate due to economic crisis

Well, they are all having a meeting at the WH tomorrow!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Is Letterman invited? Probably not, he could have cancelled at the last minutes.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Friday's debate: A bizarre game of chicken

McCain is now unlikely to show up for the first scheduled showdown with Obama. Master stroke or campaign in meltdown?
    By Walter Shapiro

Sept. 25, 2008 | WASHINGTON -- John McCain is once again proving himself to be the fastest gun in the West -- the presidential candidate most likely to shoot up the saloon on a Friday night. Or, in this case, the first presidential debate slated for Friday night, in Oxford, Miss. With a flair for the dramatic, McCain suddenly announced Wednesday afternoon that he was suspending his campaign (attack ads included) because of the financial crisis -- and called for postponing the Mississippi Mixer "until this crisis is resolved."

Less than two hours later, Barack Obama delivered his answer: on to Oxford. Speaking to reporters at an impromptu Florida press conference, Obama said that if all senators needed to be in Washington for the interim, "We've both got big planes. We've painted our slogans on the sides of them. They can get us from Washington, D.C., to Mississippi fairly quickly." The Commission on Presidential Debates joined in the fray by promptly issuing a statement declaring that it "was moving forward with its plan for the first presidential debate."

Never before in the tangled history of these high-stakes face-offs has a candidate tried to scuttle a debate this close to deadline.
    As Sidney Kraus, the leading historian of presidential debates and an emeritus professor at Cleveland State University, put it, "It is not unusual for the candidates to disagree over the place or the time, even after they've agreed to be there. But we've never had anything remotely like this."

McCain wrapped his decision to forgo the odyssey to Oxford in patriotism-above-party pieties: "We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved." But (shocking revelation ahead) there were hints that political calculation may have played a role in McCain's decision. Wednesday morning the McCain campaign hastily arranged a conference call for reporters with pollster Bill McInturff to dispute a Washington Post-ABC News poll that gave Obama a jaw-dropping 53-to-44 percent national lead. While the poll may indeed have been an outlier (the one in every 20 surveys that is wrong for no methodological reason), other national and state polls released Wednesday signaled that the Wall Street whipsaw was moving the race in Obama's direction.

But whatever McCain's underlying motivations, both campaigns are now locked in a bizarre game of chicken. If McCain actually boycotts the Oxford debate, Obama may score a public-relations coup while his Republican rival looks weak and evasive. Or the Democratic nominee may appear too political while McCain puts on his mantle as statesman. Republican strategist Rich Galen, who advised Fred Thompson in the primaries, said, "It's a brilliant stroke by McCain. You will have an empty chair debate in Oxford without McCain. And an empty chair at the White House economic negotiations without Obama." Of course, George W. Bush, an early-to-bed president, is unlikely to be meeting anything but his pillow at the White House during debate time Friday night.

The three presidential debates and the single veep one have been carefully scheduled around Jewish holidays, Monday night football and other major religious occasions. If, for example, the negotiations over the fiscal-market rescue plan continue through the weekend, the first available date to reschedule would be Wednesday, Oct. 1, because Monday and Tuesday are Rosh Hashanah. But Thursday night, the 2nd, Joe Biden and Sarah Palin are scheduled to have their own evening in the spotlight, a contest that once threatened to overshadow McCain vs. Obama. Further complicating the calendar is the bipartisan belief that late October debates are too risky -- a truth brought home by Jimmy Carter's political collapse in 1980 after an Oct. 28 debate with Ronald Reagan.

Ed Fouhy, who was executive producer for the 1988 and 1992 debates for the commission, estimates that it logistically would take about 48 hours to arrange a bare-bones debate at a new site, such as a television studio (where the 1960 Kennedy-Nixon debates took place) or a college campus in Washington. Fouhy joked, "The people of Oxford, Miss., will probably never forgive John McCain." But, in truth, the facilities in Oxford would presumably be available on another night.

Barring an agreement in Washington beforehand, it is hard to imagine that Friday's debate will actually happen, since McCain now would look weak if he suddenly gave way in response to public pressure to relent. Also, any disruption of his debate-prep schedule would presumably undermine McCain's performance. But then there is the Palin factor. At a time when the Republican campaign only puts Palin forward in tightly scripted settings, delaying her rendezvous with Biden would inevitably give rise to speculation that the first-term Alaska governor had yet to master her briefing books.

For all the bitter undertones of TV ads on both sides, Campaign 2008 up to now had been free of those ridiculous protracted debates over whether and how to hold debates. The negotiations between the McCain and Obama camps quickly led to a 31-page agreement on debate protocols. But nothing in those 31 pages explains what to do if only one candidate actually shows up Friday night in Oxford.

Friday's debate: A bizarre game of chicken | Salon News

Maybe he's worried his Alzheimers will kick in when he starts to speak, and uhhum, he's not going to want to put Palin up there as a substitute... she's about as thick as a brick regarding pressing political issues if her previous comments are anything to go by.
    ssabmud

It's also tough to have your wife 2 feet off your elbow during the debate and still look "presidential"

Totally OT, but WTF was with Bush's kabuki make-up????

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Totally OT, but WTF was with Bush's kabuki make-up????
    Covering up last night's hangover?

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Sorta like Obama's ties to the Freddic Mac/Fannie Mae failure?

Grimm, why can't you admit that government as whole is responsible for the mess the US is in now?

I blame them all. Every. Single. One of them.
    It;s amazing how you keep trying to tie Obama to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but always 'forget' McCain's ties run even deeper. But carry on.

This is just amazing.
    I mean, seriously.
    Mccain is so worried about the economy/financial crisis that he's trying to delay debates at a university that has spent $5.5 MILLION to accomodate him??????

The David Letterman thing was hilarious. And yes, you could tell he was pisssssssed.

Elite Member

This is just too weird. It's like traveling through the Twilight Zone while tripping on acid. McCain's grasping at the very last straws of his desperate campaign.

People in Mississippi are not happy with McCain. They spent too much time and too much money for him to pull this stunt. Mississippi is trying to show itself as a growing and progressive place. And being that the first-ever Black presidential candidate would be debating at its premier university--at a school that uses Rebel Sam as a mascot, for goodness sakes--it's a major step. Now McCain is just going to kick all of this into his politicial trash can.

Damn McCain. Damn Palin. Damn all of these sorry attempts at trying to keep voters in the dark about the issues. Our lives are at stake. Banks are going bankrupt, families are losing their homes, there aren't enough good jobs, Putin is itching to start a second Cold War, bin Laden is still running around free--and this old windbag's idea of strong leadership is suspending his campaign? You know what, McCain? Just suspend the damned thing altogether. For all that bluster about giving everything you have for this country, you're trying to ride and take cover when we need a good leader the most. You clearly have nothing to say. So get out of the way of those of us who are working our butts off to survive this mess with our dignity intact.

I realize Obama is no messiah. But for now, he's our best chance at pulling ourselves out of this mess. If nothing else, he's not running scared during these tough times. It makes me think he's willing to stick it out with the voters. He's trying. And that's more than I can say for McScaredy Cat.

Why McCain's move was just DUMB:
    Remains Of The Day

Maybe I'm grossly misreading this, but I don't think McCain's decision to "suspend" his campaign today self-evidently looks Presidential. It could look Presidential, or it could look like a stunt. Meaning, the way the decision is narrated by the media matters. And when you've lost Kathryn Lopez and David Letterman on the same day, things haven't gone quite to plan.

But really, McCain's problems have nothing to do with returning to Washington for a couple of days and calling on Barack Obama to do the same. That could have been a smart little ploy. Rather, the problem was quite specifically his call to postpone Friday's debate.

Let me digress for a moment. One of the reasons I probably turned out to be a Democrat is because of Ronald Reagan and Bugs Bunny. When I was a kid, once every now and then, they had Bugs Bunny specials scheduled for prime time ... I looked forward to these for weeks. But invariably, invariably! -- or so it seemed when I was six years old -- they'd be preempted by Ronald Reagan giving a speech. I was sure what Mr. Reagan was saying was very important ... but I absolutely hated him as a result.

Americans feel about the debates they way I felt about Bugs Bunny. The cumulative audience between the three Presidential debates will likely significantly exceed that of the Super Bowl. They like watching them, and look forward to them. If McCain denies them that pleasure, they are likely to be angry with him, perhaps in ways they have difficulty expressing.

Imagine instead if McCain had called on Obama to return to Washington, and also called on him to meet him at Georgetown University on Friday night for a "civil discussion" (a.k.a. a High Noon showdown) on leading America's economy forward. That could have been brilliant. Obama would probably have had to agree to the change of venue and subject matter. McCain would have needed to follow-through by actually winning the debate, but if he had, that would almost certainly have been a game-changer. But that's not what McCain did.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    This is just too weird. It's like traveling through the Twilight Zone while tripping on acid. McCain's grasping at the very last straws of his desperate campaign.

People in Mississippi are not happy with McCain. They spent too much time and too much money for him to pull this stunt. Mississippi is trying to show itself as a growing and progressive place. And being that the first-ever Black presidential candidate would be debating at its premier university--at a school that uses Rebel Sam as a mascot, for goodness sakes--it's a major step. Now McCain is just going to kick all of this into his politicial trash can.

Damn McCain. Damn Palin. Damn all of these sorry attempts at trying to keep voters in the dark about the issues. Our lives are at stake. Banks are going bankrupt, families are losing their homes, there aren't enough good jobs, Putin is itching to start a second Cold War, bin Laden is still running around free--and this old windbag's idea of strong leadership is suspending his campaign? You know what, McCain? Just suspend the damned thing altogether. For all that bluster about giving everything you have for this country, you're trying to ride and take cover when we need a good leader the most. You clearly have nothing to say. So get out of the way of those of us who are working our butts off to survive this mess with our dignity intact.

I realize Obama is no messiah. But for now, he's our best chance at pulling ourselves out of this mess. If nothing else, he's not running scared during these tough times. It makes me think he's willing to stick it out with the voters. He's trying. And that's more than I can say for McScaredy Cat.

Well said!

McCain is just proving that he can't multi-task.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    McCain is just proving that he can't multi-task.
    I believe you meant to say that he is proving that he can't single task.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I believe you meant to say that he is proving that he can't single task.
    Let's compromise, he can't single or multi-task.

Yesterday, while no one was looking due to the focus on the the new bailout bill, congress passed a bill to help bailout the US auto makers Ford, G M.and Chrysler ....they're giving them $25 Billion. Harry Reid called it 'small change'.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information