Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John McCain says to go ahead and let General Motors fail

I wasn't talking to just YOU, I was talking to everyone, especially concerning the title of "let GM fail"
    But, you did say this. "McCain just wants GM to fail to hurt the unions." and I have to wonder why when he clearly states he wants them stronger than before.

up here in Canuckistan, GM went whining to the gov.. and the gov said "go away for a month and come up with a plan to make yourselves sustainable, and then we'll look at it and consider giving you the monies"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I wasn't talking to just YOU, I was talking to everyone, especially concerning the title of "let GM fail"
    But, you did say this. "McCain just wants GM to fail to hurt the unions." and I have to wonder why when he clearly states he wants them stronger than before.
    Yeah, I caught that after I went back and re-read your post. I thought you were talking about my post about the banks. That's what I get for just glancing, instead of reading. My bad.

It's Monday!

And this Monday is the middle of my six-day work week. But, hey, at least I still have a job in this economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    up here in Canuckistan, GM went whining to the gov.. and the gov said "go away for a month and come up with a plan to make yourselves sustainable, and then we'll look at it and consider giving you the monies"

Good answer. Canadians are just so sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Republicans haven't been using a lot of common sense recently.

If you let all the cards fall we're all screwed. If the auto companies go under then all of the other industries tied to them go under, and that's millions of other people out of work, which will probably mean more foreclosures and more drains on the banks.

I just laughed. Sorry. I did. Like none of this isn't happening already? They are already laying people off and still more lay offs to come. I just think we threw money to people who knew what the hell they were doing and now the taxpayers are gonna have to suffer.

I forgot to add that I think Ford didn't take any money so at least one of the big three isn't that bad off.

Just because it's happening in a lot of places does not mean you ADD to it. Millions more out of work could tip the US into an actual 1929 depression, an economic deathspiral. It's a bit like the whole global warming thing.. you reach a tipping point.

Trying to keep that from happening will prevent millions more from losing their jobs, their homes, everything. It's all an interconnected web. Millions more out of work is not something to laugh at.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Just because it's happening in a lot of places does not mean you ADD to it. Millions more out of work could tip the US into an actual 1929 depression, an economic deathspiral. It's a bit like the whole global warming thing.. you reach a tipping point.

Trying to keep that from happening will prevent millions more from losing their jobs, their homes, everything. It's all an interconnected web. Millions more out of work is not something to laugh at.
    And we aren't in a depression now?

... no, you aren't. Not yet. The unemployment rate is only 8.1. The problem is right NOW, is that the fed can't let more businesses fail because they can't lower the interest rate to help out. You're at 0%.

They have to stanch the flow of lost jobs, keep banks from going under (in the US and abroad, because foreign banks own hundreds of billions in US debt and if they go under the US dollar will crash.. picture Germany after WW2, but without a Marshall Plan to get it back on its feet.. people burning stacks of bills to keep warm)

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    And we aren't in a depression now?
    Not quite yet, I don't think. But even if we were, they probably wouldn't call it that until it was over because that would incite panic and make things a lot worse.

Well, we're not in a "great" depression. Maybe a smaller one. But there have been 2 recessions longer than the one we're experiencing now since WWII. I don't know if the unemployment/stock market decline was as bad then.

I think they should have let another comany buyout GM instead of bailing them out to begin with. A company with responsible management, who would havbe been able to pay all the workers.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

*snort* what company would

Is there anyone trying to buy GM?

I agree Grim.

Considering how much they've given the banks, what GM is asking for is pocket change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information