Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: John McCain politicizes the bailout, fucks it up, and it goes nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    HOLY SHIT

House republicans just walked out in a snit! THEY DIDNT GET THEIR WAY ANDS THEY WALKED BECAUSE DEMS WOULDNT GIVE THEM UNLIMITED POWER AND NO OVERSIGHT AND A BUNCH OF CORPORATE BREAKS!

this shit is 100% theirs

The dems need to get on the airwaves RIGHT NOW and control this message! if they let the rethugs walk and say it was their fault, it all falls to shit. And that's EXACTLy what they'll do.
    Republicans are already trying to pin this on the Dems. They were saying that since the Dems control the House and the Senate, they could easily pass this bailout. Forgetting that the Dems need the Republicans' votes to help pass this bailout.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

They are so used to bullying and lying their way through/past most things they are probably in shock that someone has noticed!

The McCain campaign is still looking for money:
    As U-S financial crisis looms, Cindy McCain raises money in wealthy Seattle suburb

SEATTLE (AP)
    McCain replaced the original headliner, Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

McCain spokesman Rick Gorka had initially said the fundraiser had been suspended when the Arizona Senator halted the rest of his campaign to focus on the financial crisis.

But the $1,000-a-plate actually took place at a private home before the announcement, said Gorka, who blamed the misstatement on confusion among campaign aides.

He says Cindy McCain did attend before departing to Washington D.C.

The event was held at a private home in Hunts Point, in Seattle's eastern suburbs.

KUDO

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Here's a random thought.

What would happen if the Govt divided 700bn between, say, 250m US citizens (ie $2.8m each) and told them to spend it as they wish?
    Not to throw a wet towel on this, but it would be $2800 per person, stimulus yes, but since the bailout figure creates a $5-7000 tax/debt obligation per person, they can keep my amt. I don't need to owe between $2200-$4200 (plus interest) to China for the privilege of receiving $2800 today.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Republicans are already trying to pin this on the Dems. They were saying that since the Dems control the House and the Senate, they could easily pass this bailout. Forgetting that the Dems need the Republicans' votes to help pass this bailout.
    I don't think they need the Repub votes to pass - Bush won't veto his own plan - but they will not even bring it for vote without HUGE Repub support because then they'll get tagged with supporting Bush, bailing out fat cats, creating more bureaucracy with the oversight committees, screwing the little guy. It would set the entire political world on spin cycle and the dems would come out looking horrible. It's simply political and to avoid the tax and spend label the Repubs would hang on them - even though this whole mess is a result of Reaganomics - there is no such think as trickle down...the only thing that's trickled down on the little guys is the CEO's peeing on the rest of us.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Not to throw a wet towel on this, but it would be $2800 per person, stimulus yes, but since the bailout figure creates a $5-7000 tax/debt obligation per person, they can keep my amt. I don't need to owe between $2200-$4200 (plus interest) to China for the privilege of receiving $2800 today.
    I was always crap at math. Stupid idea. Carry on.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I don't think they need the Repub votes to pass - Bush won't veto his own plan - but they will not even bring it for vote without HUGE Repub support because then they'll get tagged with supporting Bush, bailing out fat cats, creating more bureaucracy with the oversight committees, screwing the little guy. It would set the entire political world on spin cycle and the dems would come out looking horrible. It's simply political and to avoid the tax and spend label the Repubs would hang on them - even though this whole mess is a result of Reaganomics - there is no such think as trickle down...the only thing that's trickled down on the little guys is the CEO's peeing on the rest of us.
    Exactly.

This morning, on the news, they said something about "BUsh and his party" are not on board with this.

Imagine that.

Bush and his party are never on board with anything other than their own ideas.

His entire fucking presidency has been based on that: Me, me, me.

Well, newsflash, Dubya... whether you participate in this or not, is not going to make you any more likable to the public.

Everyone loathes you.

It's so bad I'm starting to feel it's staged. I think they are gonna dump him and replace him with Marshall Law.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    This morning, on the news, they said something about "BUsh and his party" are not on board with this.

Imagine that.

Bush and his party are never on board with anything other than their own ideas.

His entire fucking presidency has been based on that: Me, me, me.

Well, newsflash, Dubya... whether you participate in this or not, is not going to make you any more likable to the public.

Everyone loathes you.

that's kinda funny, like they were bending over backwards in order not to say the words "Bush administration". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Everything is our fault, lol.

Just a reminder: House GOP can’t block a bailout bill

posted at 9:40 am on September 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey
    Send to a Friend | printer-friendly

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has the plenary power to bring a bill to the floor of the House, and no parliamentary procedure can help a minority to block a majority will to pass it. That’s one fact that has to be remembered while Pelosi and Barney Frank blame the House GOP over the collapse of the bailout bill:
    “I didn’t know I was going to be the referee for an internal G.O.P. ideological civil war,” Mr. Frank said, according to The A.P.Thursday, in the Roosevelt Room after the session, the Treasury secretary, Henry M. Paulson Jr., literally bent down on one knee as he pleaded with Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker, not to “blow it up” by withdrawing her party’s support for the package over what Ms. Pelosi derided as a Republican betrayal.
    “I didn’t know you were Catholic,” Ms. Pelosi said, a wry reference to Mr. Paulson’s kneeling, according to someone who observed the exchange. She went on: “It’s not me blowing this up, it’s the Republicans.”
    Mr. Paulson sighed. “I know. I know.”
    If Pelosi has her entire caucus in line to support the Paulson plan, then she has the vote to pass it. Some estimates have as many as 50 Republicans ready to support the plan in defiance of Boehner. If that’s true, Pelosi could lose all of her Blue-Dog Democrats and still pass the bill.
    So why not just call a vote? Pelosi doesn’t want to get married to George Bush, that’s why. She wants to spread the political risk and get consensus on a bailout plan so that the responsibility for any failure doesn’t rest solely on her shoulders, at least in the House. Both Pelosi and Harry Reid wanted John McCain to deliver both GOP caucuses to cover their own butts on the bailout bill, and McCain — at least thus far — hasn’t convinced Boehner to do so.
    It appears that Reid has enough Republicans on board to survive a filibuster. George Bush will happily sign the bill as soon as he gets it from Capitol Hill. Pelosi could deliver that bill with plenty of votes to spare simply by scheduling a vote. She lacks the courage to do so. That’s not the fault of the House GOP.
    Update (AP): All of this is true but it’s also why McCain’s going to take the blame if they can’t pass it. Pelosi doesn’t need votes, she needs political cover; Maverick can’t give her the former but, as the GOP’s nominee, he can singlehandedly give her the latter by endorsing the deal. If he doesn’t, the consequences will be laid at his feet.

Hot Air Blog Archive Just a reminder: House GOP can’t block a bailout bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information