Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John McCain not sure if he'd back Sarah Palin for president in 2012

Yeah, but Palin would still be a buttfuck ignorant fundie retard. That ain't ever gonna change. Stupid bitch.

*kicks her in the box*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Would you help the person that made you lose the campaign? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Was it for sure that those three running mates were going to run again? I don't recall that being the case with the three you mention. That's the difference. Palin is clearly trying to put herself in the running for 2012.
    Probably. After all, Mondale ran again.

Ferraro would have run again, but her chances were scuttled by the legal troubles that her husband got into.

It also might be worth bearing mention that when someone asked President Dwight Eisenhower why he picked Richard Nixon as a runningmate, he basically said, "I don't know. Let me get back to you." It was considered a devastating comment at the time -- way worse than what is being inferred from what McCain said about Palin. And yet, there Richard Nixon was about 10 years later -- President of the United States.

So, watch out -- based on precedent, this could be a good thing for Sarah Palin.

but she's a retar-har-har-hard
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    but she's a retar-har-har-hard
    That might have been a compelling, pithy argument 8 years ago, Grimmlok, but the bar has been set so low now that you can probably discount that as a critical qualifying factor.

^^ And that is so sad but true. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't think it's the same. In this case, you are speculating four years into the future. You would have dramatically different scenarios in terms of finance, international tensions, etc. And you would have a re-shuffling of alliances and and emerging individuals within the GOP.
    I sincerely believe McOld is saying this because he knows she is a loon! Hahaha

That might have been a compelling, pithy argument 8 years ago, Grimmlok, but the bar has been set so low now that you can probably discount that as a critical qualifying factor.
    .. she also has stupid hair.

I don't think it's the same. In this case, you are speculating four years into the future. You would have dramatically different scenarios in terms of finance, international tensions, etc. And you would have a re-shuffling of alliances and and emerging individuals within the GOP.

Did Carter endorse Mondale four years ahead of time for the next election after Carter lost reelection? No.

Did Mondale endorse Geraldine Ferraro four years ahead of time for the next election after Mondale lost? No.

Did Al Gore endorse Joseph Lieberman four years ahead of time for the next election after Gore lost? No.
    You make a good point. But the difference is that none of those people in your example were being considered as a frontrunner for their party's nomination for the next election right after they just lost the present election.

And the fact that McCain still can't bring himself to say that Palin would be a good president, or that she's even qualified for the job, speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    You make a good point. But the difference is that none of those people in your example were being considered as a frontrunner for their party's nomination for the next election right after they just lost the present election.

And the fact that McCain still can't bring himself to say that Palin would be a good president, or that she's even qualified for the job, speaks volumes.
    Mondale was considered a frontrunner, and got the nomination in the general election against Reagan. I'm not even sure how someone would be designated a frontrunner anyway. Is it polling data? Or some kind of early endorsement by House of Reps, Senate and Governor colleagues? Media consensus? Nobody is throwing money at a 2012 candidate this early, so the "title" of frontrunner, at this point, is kind of meaningless.

However, I've never been warm to that idea. Better candidates seemingly can come out of nowhere to get the nomination. Obama wasn't considered a 2008 contender when Kerry lost in 2004. But there he was, four years later, steamrolling over Edwards and everyone else in his path in the Democratic primary.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And it's also scary as hell knowing that she would have been on McTired heartbeat away from the presidency.

Mondale was considered a frontrunner, and got the nomination in the general election against Reagan. I'm not even sure how someone would be designated a frontrunner anyway. Is it polling data? Or some kind of early endorsement by House of Reps, Senate and Governor colleagues? Media consensus? Nobody is throwing money at a 2012 candidate this early, so the "title" of frontrunner, at this point, is kind of meaningless.

However, I've never been warm to that idea. Better candidates seemingly can come out of nowhere to get the nomination. Obama wasn't considered a 2008 contender when Kerry lost in 2004. But there he was, four years later, steamrolling over Edwards and everyone else in his path in the Democratic primary.
    True, but the point that I'm getting at is that McCain made such a big deal about how great Palin was, but not only won't he say if he'll endorse her, but can't even say that she'd make a good president.

But I think it's safe to say that Palin is considered a frontrunner for the nomination, since people within the GOP are already tossing her name around moreso than any other Republican. Not that it means anything, since Hillary was considered the frontrunner heading into the primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    And it's also scary as hell knowing that she would have been on McTired heartbeat away from the presidency.
    Something tells me that if McCain had won Palin would've been president within a year because either he would've died or went completely senile.

McCain didn't even bother to muster up a "She'd be a fine candidate, she's among the great other young governors in the party." There are a million ways he could have given a non-binding and vague statement of support, but he flat out said I CAN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    McCain didn't even bother to muster up a "She'd be a fine candidate, she's among the great other young governors in the party." There are a million ways he could have given a non-binding and vague statement of support, but he flat out said I CAN'T.
    McCain said, "Have no doubt of my admiration and respect for her and my view of her viability,..."

So, he directly stated he has admiration and respect for her and to have no doubt of his view of her viability. When he says viability in this context, it's hard to think he is referring to anything other than her viability as a candidate for President in 2012 -- unless she was just diagnosed with a terminal illness I don't know about.

Once again, why would McCain, a guy who knows about how things change in just a couple of years, and all the backroom deals made, throw his formal endorsement behind someone four years ahead of time?

^He's old. He isn't going to be around forever. He knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^He's old. He isn't going to be around forever. He knows it.
    Yes, his mom has been trying to warn him about that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information