Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: John McCain criticized for racial slur

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    With Hillary as the Democratic Nominee and McCain as the Republican... HE WILL WIN!! Cause most will vote for him, before they vote for her...
    I truly believe she can win. But we'll have to agree to disagree I guess lol.

Plus we don't know if she'll be the democratic nominee yet (although I'm guessing she will)

Hillary for Prez!!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    uh, Dubbya two-term already sunk THAT boat.
    Touche'.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I didn't notice that it was 2000. But it still doesn't make it any less damaging. You can't run for public office and have a history of casually tossing out racial slurs in public, whether it was 5, 10, or 20 years ago.
    It does make it less damaging. It's an 8 year-old controversy that nobody's going to pay any attention to, regardless of how inappropriate the comment was.

Says something about the electorate, then again we've had 7 years to witness what they're capable of..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    It does make it less damaging. It's an 8 year-old controversy that nobody's going to pay any attention to, regardless of how inappropriate the comment was.
    Not really. Because if somebody wants to make a big deal about it, then it plays into the character issue. When people are looking to elect a president, somebody that casually tosses out racial slurs in public is a cause for concern. And being that he would be the president, then you would have to wonder if he would do it again, since he had no problem doing it before.

And how many times have people made an issue out of something a politician did in the past, no matter how long ago it was? So, I wouldn't be so quick to count this as a dead issue. And the fact that the article has resurfaced is proof that somebody is trying to make an issue of it.

Gold Member

Not really. Because if somebody wants to make a big deal about it, then it plays into the character issue. When people are looking to elect a president, are you really going to elect somebody that casually tosses out racial slurs in public. And being that he would be the president, then you would have to wonder if he would do it again, since he had no problem doing it before.

And how many times have people made an issue out of something a politician did in the past, no matter how long ago it was? So, I wouldn't be so quick to count this as a dead issue.
    I'm willing to bet money that this won't stand in his way. McCain can get away with things other people can't get away with because of his POW status. In my mind that doesn't excuse his use of racial slurs, but what I think doesn't actually matter.

Also, given the choice between McCain, a cult member, and a whacko on the Republican side McCain will get my vote each and every time. He's the least worst of the lot. Doesn't say much about the crop of candidates this year, does it? Besides, he's not the first politician to use a racial slur and he won't be the last. As far as this election goes it's a non-issue.

I'm willing to bet money that this won't stand in his way. McCain can get away with things other people can't get away with because of his POW status. In my mind that doesn't excuse his use of racial slurs, but what I think doesn't actually matter.

Also, given the choice between McCain, a cult member, and a whacko on the Republican side McCain will get my vote each and every time. He's the least worst of the lot. Doesn't say much about the crop of candidates this year, does it? Besides, he's not the first politician to use a racial slur and he won't be the last. As far as this election goes it's a non-issue.
    Just because somebody was a POW doesn't give them a free pass or an excuse to use racial slurs in public. And I'm not talking about you, but for the public in general

And, yeah, he's not the first politician to use racial slurs, but most politicians are smart enough to 1) not to do it publicly, and 2) refuse to apologize, regardless of who they offend.

And while his use of a racial slur may not be an issue for you, believe me it will be an issue. Because when you're the president, you have to be held to a higher standard. Now, if McCain had a slip of the tongue and then apologized, then that's a different story. But that wasn't the case he said he hates 'gooks' and will hate them for the rest of his life. That's offending an entire group of people.

And let's say he becomes president and has to deal with a Vietnamese diplomat or something and uses a racial slur and creates an international incident. Is that something that people should cut him slack for because he was a POW? As the president, you're the leader of the free world, which means you have to put your own prejudices on the backburner.

Gold Member

Just because somebody was a POW doesn't give them a free pass or an excuse to use racial slurs in public. And I'm not talking about you, but for the public in general

And, yeah, he's not the first politician to use racial slurs, but most politicians are smart enough to 1) not to do it publicly, and 2) refuse to apologize, regardless of who they offend.

And while his use of a racial slur may not be an issue for you, believe me it will be an issue. Because when you're the president, you have to be held to a higher standard. Now, if McCain had a slip of the tongue and then apologized, then that's a different story. But that wasn't the case he said he hates 'gooks' and will hate them for the rest of his life. That's offending an entire group of people.

And let's say he becomes president and has to deal with a Vietnamese diplomat or something and uses a racial slur and creates an international incident. Is that something that people should cut him slack for because he was a POW? As the president, you're the leader of the free world, which means you have to put your own prejudices on the backburner.
    I didn't say it wasn't an issue for me. I said it was a non-issue...in the grand scheme of the election...because look at the competition. I haven't made up my mind who I'm going to vote for.

As terrible as the g-word is, I don't think McCain could possibly ever be worse than Bush.

Well at least he's being honest about it, and not being phony/overly apologetic if he isn't actually sorry for saying it. I also think that he's the best republican candidate this year (which isn't really saying much).

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Cinton (?)

Anyone else seeing a pattern here?

*Dons the tinfoil helmet*

What if these two are frenemies whose purpose is to remain in control of the country?
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

When I lived in New Zealand, I was constantly referred to as a gook (among other choice terms, of course).
    Ok I was 15 at this point just learning English and I didn't even know what that word meant at first and upon looking up in the dictionary, it doesn't even apply to me...(cuz I'm not Vietnamese) That was my very first experience of racism, being called a name/racial slur.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    I doubt he'll be our next president..... or at least I hope not!

And this was a really dumb move on his part, but I get the feeling he has a few screws loose. I recently met another Vietnam vet, and he has a few loose as well. I think that's the kind of thing that really changes you. Not that that is an excuse to use racial epithets.
    Totally inexcusable. My dad is a Vietnam vet- he had two tours there. He was never captured, but he was shot at (a pilot also, but a helicopter pilot, so he was lower and an easier target.) I read a letter he wrote from Vietnam where he casually used the term G***, but that was while he was there. Other than that, I have never heard him use it (or any other racial term like that.) His screws are all in tight, too. He think McCain is crazy and worse, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    He shouldn't be excused. He shouldn't be President either. The guy is bonkers, and has been for some time.
    McCain is totally bonkers. I can't believe people are voting for him. Romney is a fake, but still...

I didn't say it wasn't an issue for me. I said it was a non-issue...in the grand scheme of the election...because look at the competition. I haven't made up my mind who I'm going to vote for.

As terrible as the g-word is, I don't think McCain could possibly ever be worse than Bush.
    Well, even if you consider it a 'non-issue' it still is an issue. Because McCain essentially admitted that he's a racist. And that's not some P.C. over-sensitivity. The definition of a racist is someone who hates an entire group of people. McCain stated that he hated Vietnamese people and always would. For me, that's very much an issue.

There are millions of Vietnamese people in America, who are taxpaying citizens. How is that going to make them feel knowing that their potential president hates everyone that looks like them.

And while I agree that McCain can't be any worse than Bush, I think Bush has taught us that we have to pay attention to any major red flags that pop up before we put somebody in the White House. And a politician who unapologetically uses racial slurs in public is a major red flag.
    Last edited by kingcap72; February 1st, 2008 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cate View Post
    Totally inexcusable. My dad is a Vietnam vet- he had two tours there. He was never captured, but he was shot at (a pilot also, but a helicopter pilot, so he was lower and an easier target.) I read a letter he wrote from Vietnam where he casually used the term G***, but that was while he was there. Other than that, I have never heard him use it (or any other racial term like that.) His screws are all in tight, too. He think McCain is crazy and worse, too.
    Well I didn't mean that all Vietnam vets had screws loose, sorry if that's how you took it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information