Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: John McCain attending debates tonight

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I think I'll make a drinking game from McCain. Every time he mentions POW, take a shot.
    You're going to get wasted, lol.

Elite Member

I'll be glad when all this is over. DH and I have been arguing every night about the election. He's undecided at this point. He says I'm too biased and he can't trust what I'm saying. Yet he's too lazy/busy to do his own research.

I did get angry and call McCain a "fucker" night before last when DH was telling me how great it was that Bush had called McCain and Obama both to Washington to work on the problem together and how great it was that McCain was going to suspend his campaign.

^^ Perhaps you should announce you are suspending all your wifely duties until there is a plan in place

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I'll be glad when all this is over. DH and I have been arguing every night about the election. He's undecided at this point. He says I'm too biased and he can't trust what I'm saying. Yet he's too lazy/busy to do his own research.

I did get angry and call McCain a "fucker" night before last when DH was telling me how great it was that Bush had called McCain and Obama both to Washington to work on the problem together and how great it was that McCain was going to suspend his campaign.
    I feel for you. I work in a company full of Republicans and try to avoid political discussions so I can't imagine how difficult it must be to share a bed with someone who is not understanding the gravity of this election. Whare are his main issues?

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    I thought they only air on CNN?

Can you give me examples of PBS stations??
    The Public Broadcasting System has local affiliates, if you search your zipcode at PBS, it will pull up your local PBS station(s).

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    The Public Broadcasting System has local affiliates, if you search your zipcode at PBS, it will pull up your local PBS station(s).
    See my edit

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    I feel for you. I work in a company full of Republicans and try to avoid political discussions so I can't imagine how difficult it must be to share a bed with someone who is not understanding the gravity of this election. Whare are his main issues?
    I don't think he's thought about it that much, really. He's in a very demanding job and there's not time for much else. Meanwhile I'm freaking out because I actually have been following the whole saga.

He said he saw a speech by McCain 8 years ago and thought he sounded good. I told him a lot has changed. Unfortunately he keeps saying that McCain has more experience than Obama and that is true. I just don't think McCain is the visionary and leader that Obama is. DH also, while a social liberal, is conservative politically and believes Democrats are all about social programs and big government. I tried to tell him how stricter regulations and oversight could've helped us avoid this mess. I also tried to tell him that most people are stupid and need a government to protect them from themselves because they can't make good decisions.

um, does he know that the government has expanded ridiculouslty each time a rethug gets in, and that spending soars out of control and the country is left with huge debts/deficits?

TELL HIM THAT
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

All I get is "John McCain is not George Bush" or some version of that. It doesn't help me that one of his coworkers who he really respects says that she has always voted Democrat but is going to vote against Obama in this election. My problem is that I can't control my temper every time we talk about the election and it comes across to DH as extreme bias.

Hey, I live in NC. The odds are stacked against me.

Interestingly enough, most of the women at the bus stop HATE Sarah Palin.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Or if he mentions Sarah Palins "Executive Experience" take a drink.
    Shit! I forgot about reform! Don't forget to drink about reform!

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    I can't imagine McCain getting riled, maybe I'm out of touch. But the way he speaks softspokenly and slow, he just doesn't strike me as someone who would lash out.
    Oh, don't let his facade fool you. Many of the nastiest tempers are chained behind a cool, calm, personably, soft-spoken exterior. Still waters run deep.

I just posted this on another thread, and thought the paragraph below in bold was interesting; it sounds like he suddenly though, "Oh, shit, I'd better go too!":

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Debate is on, McCain campaign says
    Candidate previously said he wouldn't debate without bailout deal in place
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Associated Press
    updated 11:39 a.m. PT, Fri., Sept. 26, 2008
    WASHINGTON - Republican John McCain agreed to attend the first presidential debate Friday night even though Congress doesn't have a bailout deal, reversing an earlier decision to delay the event until Washington had taken action to address the crisis.

With less than 10 hours until the debate was scheduled to start, the McCain campaign announced that the Arizona senator would travel to the University of Mississippi. The campaign said that afterward McCain would return to Washington to continue working on the financial crisis.

Obama had always planned to attend the debate and was aboard his plane preparing to take off when McCain's announcement was made. McCain quickly moved to his own private aircraft and headed South with his wife and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and his wife, Judith, on board.

The action contradicted the position McCain had taken Wednesday, when he announced, "I'm directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the Commission on Presidential Debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis."

McCain had also said he would suspend all campaign activities, but in reality the campaign just shifted to Washington while the work of trying to win the election went on.

McCain had taken a gamble with the move, trying to appear above politics and as a leader on an issue that had overshadowed the presidential campaign and given him trouble. But Democratic rival Barack Obama had not bowed to McCain's challenge, and instead questioned why the Republican nominee couldn't handle two things at once the debate and involvement in the bailout negotiations.

An Associated Press-Knowledge Networks poll out Friday just before McCain's announcement showed the public overwhelmingly wanted the candidates to debate, 60 percent to 22 percent, with the rest undecided.

By Friday morning, it appeared McCain was looking for a face-saving way to get to the debate even though a deal had not been reached. He met with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, before heading to his campaign headquarters and issuing a statement that blamed others in Washington for the failure to reach an agreement.

"John McCain's decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis," the statement said. "In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers' money to bail out bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices."

Financial bailout

Just before McCain's announcement, Obama told reporters that he had spent Friday morning on the phone with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and congressional leaders and he was optimistic that progress was being made toward a bailout deal.

"At this point, my strong sense is that the best thing that I can do, rather than to inject presidential politics into these delicate negotiations, is to go down to Mississippi and explain to the American people what is going on and my vision for leading the country over the next four years," Obama told reporters aboard his campaign plane as they prepared to travel to Mississippi.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a McCain supporter, said the Republican made a "huge mistake" by even discussing canceling the debate.

"You can't just say, 'World, stop for a moment. I'm going to cancel everything,'" Huckabee told reporters Thursday night in Alabama before attending a benefit for the University of Mobile. He said it's more important for voters to hear from the presidential candidates than for them to huddle with fellow senators in Washington.

Summoned by Bush
    Both McCain and Obama had returned to Washington on Thursday at the urging of President Bush, who invited them to a meeting with congressional leaders at the White House. But a session aimed at showing unity in resolving the financial crisis broke up with conflicts in plain view.

McCain's campaign said the meeting "devolved into a contentious shouting match" and implied Obama was at fault on a day when McCain said he was putting politics aside to focus on the nation's financial problems.

Democrats differed, saying the refusal of McCain and other Republicans to support the plan worked out by congressional negotiators was creating a road block.

"The insertion of presidential politics has not been helpful," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Friday.

When asked whether the meeting was a mistake, Obama replied, "I'm not sure it was as productive as it could have been. I think at this point it's important to just move forward."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Debate is on, McCain campaign says - The Debates - MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2008 MSNBC.com

Guys, I just want to add another shot to the list...

Everytime he says "REFORM", take one.

We are gonna be wasted within the first ten minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I just posted this on another thread, and thought the paragraph below in bold was interesting; it sounds like he suddenly though, "Oh, shit, I'd better go too!":
    I think McCain saw the poll numbers and realized that the majority of voters want the debates to move forward, and he knew his PR stunt had failed. And now he looks like an idiot going to the debate after saying he wouldn't show up if there was no bailout package.

September 26, 2008, 4:22 pm
    Ku Klux Klan Members Plan to Appear at Presidential Debate Site

Corey Dade reports from Oxford, Miss., on the presidential race.
    When the University of Mississippi hosts the first presidential debate tonight, the two sides of its troubled racial history could converge.
    The Mississippi White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan plan to be on campus for the face-off between Republican nominee John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, the first African-American nominee of a major party, according to a Friday report in the university’s student newspaper.
    University officials haven’t commented. But, since winning the bid as host a year ago, they have used the attention to promote the university’s efforts toward racial reconciliation.
    The university newspaper, the Daily Mississippian, first reported earlier this month that the white supremacist group planned to appear among the throngs expected on the Oxford, Miss., campus. The emperor of the White Knights group, whose identity was withheld as a condition of the interview, said his members would be “invisible … Our people won’t be in regalia or demonstrating. So, I guess you’ll just have to guess which of the people present are Klansmen.”
    Some at Ole Miss, as the school is commonly known, worry that the possible appearance of Klan members might undermine the debate as a symbolic turning point.
    Ole Miss senior Paul Quinn, who wrote the articles, said in an interview that “some people standing up and saying this is not who we are. Everybody thinks it’s pretty chilling.”
    Since 1962 when students and others rioted to prevent the enrollment of the first black student, James Meredith, the school has symbolized the most violent period of segregation.
    At the time, two people were fatally shot and the mob raged for 14 hours before 30,000 U.S. soldiers arrived to end it.
    For more than a decade the school has worked to overcome its image, starting with the elimination of some of its Confederate Army symbols. In 2006, Ole Miss unveiled a life-size bronze likeness of Meredith, which sits at the site of the riot and 100 yards from the statue of a Confederate soldier.
    Black student enrollment has more than doubled in that span to 16%.
    “We know people make jokes about us,” University Chancellor Robert Khayat said in an interview. “We’ve been on the wrong end of too many messages. It’s a great opportunity to be presented to the rest of the world as we are in 2008, not as we were.”
    By not wearing their regalia, the Klan members would avoid being cordoned in the protest area, on a campus practice field.
    Washington Wire - WSJ.com : Ku Klux Klan Members Plan to Appear at Presidential Debate Site

I'm not surprised that there are people like this - but its still sad to see this happening

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information